Sign in to follow this  
TPCi_Mathis

New Community Manager

TPCi_Mathis

Greetings Beta Testers!

I’d like to give you a quick update on a change occurring on the forums. Prof_Maven recently received a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and wisely chose to pursue it. We’re all terribly envious of her and wish her all the best. Her work as Online Community Manager was invaluable and her charm and wit will be greatly missed around the office. I’ll be doing my best to undertake the Herculean task of filling her shoes.

That said, I’d like to tell you a bit about myself.

My name is Mike Liesik and I love games. I’ve been a fan of Pokémon since it launched in the US back in 1998. While I’ve never played the games competitively, I pride myself on having a deep understanding of advanced strategies for both the Pokémon TCG and the Pokémon video games. I play the Pokémon TCG Online regularly and average around 250 hours on each new Pokémon video game. My wife says I’m obsessed. I say I’m dedicated.

I’ve been fortunate enough to turn my hobby into a career, having worked in the game industry for the last 13 years. I started working at The Pokémon Company International in 2004, just before the EX: Hidden Legends expansion released. As the resident Pokémon expert on the Organized Play team, I was tasked with the development of the Professor Program, which trains volunteers to serve as event organizers and judges from events as small as local leagues all the way up to the World Championships. I was also responsible for the cultivation of the grassroots community, including local tournaments and leagues worldwide. In 2008, The Pokémon Company International launched a championship series for the Pokémon video games. As the program expanded, a new position was created whose sole focus was the development of the Pokémon Video Game Championship Series. I’ve been in that role for the last three years and have had a wonderful time running those events. I’m positive that the Organized Play team will continue to do an excellent job running the VGC program in my absence.

The moderators and I will continue to keep a close eye on the forums for feedback, new feature suggestions and more. My goal is to be an active avenue of communication from the community to the development team and back. I hope that you will continue to post new ideas and bug reports on the forums, as these are critical to the success of this communication.

I’m incredibly excited to get to take on this new role in the company and to get to know each of you better.

Thanks,

Prof_Mathis

TBurrows9730

Welcome.

I hope that this community can gain from you experience. I have two boys who play competitively on all of the Pokemon products (TCG and VCG), this has dragged me into playing as well. I have greatly enjoyed the organized tournaments and will be attending NATs this year. All of the Professors that I have deal with care about the game and want a positive experience for all.

I attended Worlds in San Diego as I live very close. So I have seen all level of competitive play.

I hope this site can surpass those events as this site takes travel out of the equation allowing for event to be attended by those around the world. I am sure that will create a whole new level of issues but it could be great.

The main issue I have with the current site is a sticky one. Communication of the plans both short term and long term. I understand that it is VERY difficult to give us all the info that we want. I know that great things are in the pipe. I understand that thing that seem very easy to me as a user are not necessarily easy from a development, testing and implementation view point.

Please give us as much info and time-lines as possible as this to me is the greatest need right now.

Thanks for the introduction.

Best wishes on you new position.

Blarger

Let me say; it's great to get some direct attention from the TCPI team.

I've played against you before here, so it's cool to see you in a position of authority upon this project.

I look forward to a bit mroe communication about the status of TCGO as a whole.

~Cabd "Blarger"

<div id="swiffout"> </div>

Pookaveli

Glad to see you here, Mike! Here's to hoping this game really gets off the ground. If you need volunteers to help test out anything, you know you have plenty of willing players to do it.

ChaosJim

Mike, we're really excited to have you on this. We're all eager to see PTCGO succeed.

gymleaderblaine

Mike, glad to hear you taking on this project. You are going to rock it like all the other ones you have been a part of.

Does this mean instead of 'Jems" we will have bacon bits as ways to buy stuff online. mmmmmm bacon.teeth_smile.png

SanguineYeti

Glad they put someone who's actually in the know in a good position! gotta be a step in the right direction.

atlas304

whats gonna happen to vgc without you D:

TPCi_Mathis

whats gonna happen to vgc without you D:

The OP team will be running the program until my replacement can be hired. My desk has moved from "directly adjacent to the OP team" to "across the aisle from the OP team." When the new person is hired, I'll be able to travel from my cube to their cube in three steps, so training and transition will be a snap. In the interim, I'll remain involved in all of the VGC conversations to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks.

I have absolute confidence in the OP team's ability to keep things running smoothly.

PokegymsIceCold

Good for you Mike, see you at nationals :P

Prince_Ludwig

Oooh, TPCi's cubicles.

Where did you work in the industry prior to joining TPCi?

Pokeplayer452

If you could fix the current problems/bugs, that would be amazing.

TheDarkTwins

Mike that's awesome. You do an amazing job, so I'm happy to see this. The TCG was sorry to see you go, just like the Professor Program was (however Dan has done an amazing job with it), and the VGC will be. I'm glad to see a familar face running the community. Congrats man. :)

Drew

TPCi_Mathis

I was at Wizards of the Coast for about 2.5 years, doing organized play for Magic the Gathering and Legend of the Five Rings. After that I worked at Interactive Imagination for 2.5 years, primarily doing organized play for the now-defunct Magi-Nation: Duel card game.

popandbop

Welcome and good luck.

I wonder what oppertunity Maven got?

-Jedi Master Pop

truKeffect

Welcome Mike :)

I'm sure you'll do an amazing job with this as you did with everything else :)

Enjoy the ride :)

Spartanclone001

I sincerely hope you guys make this on-line feature much more useful. And by that logic, I, as a Pokemon TCG aficionado, want a much more robust, smooth, fast and easy to use program. I want to see tournament support for the online TCG--I want a reason to use this program daily. Make this happen or it is doomed to fail.

salvucci91

Spartanclone001 indeed speaks truth. Also, let's hope that Tokens will end up worth collecting ! teeth_smile.png

TBurrows9730

When can we expect some for of update on the future of the product, both short term and long term?

Shogun_Warrior

Welcome and hope that you can add your expertise to the game and help get things back on track.Sorry to here that the team lost a valuable team memer but im sure that you will be more than able to fill the shoes of the person your replacing very well.Again welcome and good luck.

PokemonEliteFour

Dear Proffesor Mathis,

It is to the upmost of my duty that I ask you that you please add private messaging between members of the forum. It would help people talk to people if they forgot to post somewhere, solve alot of issues, help with trades and more. If you could add this addition to the site you'd be an excellent manager in my books and I think I speak for all of us when you would be in alot of other users of this forum's books too.

Sincerely, your user,

Pokexplosion

TPCi_Mathis

We're working on a number of improvements to the Pokemon TCG Online. These improvements span the entire user experience. I can't say much about the specifics of these changes just yet, but your concerns will be addressed, Pokexplosion.

As for a status update on the new version of the game, we can't provide more than has already been given. Yet. We hyped some features early on that were pushed back for a number of reasons which resulted in some understandable frustration. We don't want to make the same mistake twice. Once the green light has been given, we'll start updating the community on the new version of the game.

PokefanWWE

Prof. Mathis,

I really think that you should attempt to fix the Binder bug.

Thanks, PokefanWWE

TBurrows9730

Prof

I understand the problem with of giving info and then it being used against you, but no info has a different effect. We have less hope and this cause discouragement and may lead people to walk away as nothing seems to be getting done or fixed.

I would hope that some grand schedule or plan could be given. Then as things change the schedule or plan could be adjusted. People are aware that schedules slip and people should expect the schedule to be only the best guess based on what we knew at the time. Even if dates are not given an idea of the road map has value.

We sit out here knowing nothing about what is going on so that just leaves us to guess. This may or may not be better then some info.

We do know that V2 is planned.

We know that little to no effort is of development can be seen, by me, in the current version. We know that issues that have been in the current version for the entire life of the current product are still in the current product. I fear that if the current product is used for the next set that this could only get worse.

I am patient but the more I know the easier it is for me to wait.

Litwickfan11

Congratulations Proffessor. I hope you like your new job, and I might need some advice on competative battling...