TCG is becoming over dominated by basic pokemon

heavyarms55

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol these new EX 170 hp basic pokemons are a joke xD ! this game has gone from bad to worse, i guess kidos wouldnt mind , cause the cards are all shiny and stuff (facepalm) iam out, enjoy ur brainless lil card game cya ;D

Depending on your deck.. I guess.

I like to use potpourri style decks and take advantage of TYPE DISADVANTE so a mediocre poke with an 80 attack and still hit for 160 or 180 with a plus power.. Which = 2prize cards on an ex poke.

Looks like mewtwo though is something I will have to see about countering since it appears to be the card that people are gonna stack and build decks around.

What other ex cards seem to be super popular? (I haven't played. working 14-16 hour days the next couple days. :D

None of you have to panic about basics being to powerful. Soon there will be a set with stage2/1 pokemon that probably will owerwhelme these basic pokemons. These evolution cards are DRAGON types! And the garchomp there is extremly powerful and dont need many energys. Also Gabite got an awsome ability that lets you search for more dragon types, and additional to that an Altaria with one of the best abilities so far in the game, that power up dragons attack by 20,m (Hopefully for each Altaria in play! That would mean you can pawn 80 extra damage!. It works perfectly with garchomp that has strong/cheap-energy attacks, and with the hydraigon that can remove damage counters from itself equally to the damage done to the defending pokemon. What about combining that with altaria? Crushes anything =)

Here is a link for those who don't know yet:

http://pokebeach.com/2012/02/first-bw5-dragon-blade-dragon-blast-cards-revealed

It's not just non-evolving basics, evolving basics are becoming more and more powerful as well. Basics with 50 HP or less have almost become extinct this set (poor, poor Foongus and Seedot), and even those with 60 HP are gradually becoming extinct as well: 70 HP, which used to be much for an evolving basic, has become the new standard. And it's already slowly being pushed to 80 as it seems. At this pace, next year all basics will be over 100 HP already!

It rests on Tournament organisers and players to provide alternate formats that give everyone the opportunity to play the less competitve decks they want to play for fun without the fear of being trumped by a player in the same tournament whos playing with an ultra competitive deck made with lots of powerful basic pokemon or EX cards.

As more and more powerful basic pokemon are released it becomes harder for match organisers to justify tweaked formats, avoid confusing tweaks, and still get enough players wishing to play. Many older cards have become redundant because of these reasons.

The way the game is going there is more pressure on new players and existing players to own all the most popular cards and ignore cards that have been superseeded. This is not completely the fault of the card makers however, we need to be active in organising the formats that we wish to play. Then we can enjoy playing using that (insert card that you have but is totally useless when playing against any competitive deck) and have exciting matches without resorting to tactics that make every game you play predictable and similar to the last game you played

I think that matchmaking still needs alot of work. If I could have equal opponent I wouldnt mind to wait up to 5-10 minutes. Current system is just flawed and hardly never works for me (I own less than 1000 cards and cant bother to even play after the new pack came out.).

i really dont see why people are complaining. the meta as a whole is moving to bigger stronger stuff. base set pokes did an average of 20-40 ish damage and 100 was like insane, now-a-days everything does a lot more, and has a lot more HP. sure the basics now are getting stronger at a faster rate than stage 2's but look at stuff like gardevoir, magnazone, vileplume, theyre still amazing in a deck. and i dont really think the EX's are a problem at all since theyre generally slow and run the risk of losing 2 prizes. with my reshiboar deck i can EASILY knock any of them out in two hits and even if i lose 1 reshi i still win the prize exchange (granted this is still supporting basics, but i couldnt do this without a stage 2 boar or phlosion).

Every Pokemon battle is a battle for the universe with Legendary Pokemon duking it out. That is so un-pokemon. Each person has 3-4 of a Pokemon that is the only one in existance. Pokemon is about collecting your team, evolving them, and competing. No teams in any other Pokemon game are filled with as many legendaries as the TCG.

While Pokemon like Reshiram and Zekrom can be caught in the game, they can't be used in tournaments and are more or less "fun" pokemon. I remember Yu-Gi-Oh had a similar phenom, but they banned them, cause they were just for fun. When I first saw these EX cards I assumed they had to be placed over the Pokemons normal form, simply because "search for a basic" and "basic with 180HP" should not co-exist.

So how do we fix this? Don't label these Legendaries as BASICS. Simply calling them "Legendary" (or another term because of the double cards) would make them much harder to get out. That's not enough though, each deck needs to have a LIMIT to the amount of Legendaries. Then later sets could include Legendary specific cards, but would be under control. Pokemon Collector to grab 3 legends as of now just makes me cringe.

This would hurt the players who fork over big $$$ for multiple boxes grabbing all the EX cards though, and since these people are PTCGs best friend, they would never do such a thing. It's a shame, because if we limited these basics maybe we could get sets where half the cards aren't useless.

I do agree about the whole haymaker thing its something young people or new players just have no idea about, in my league back in 2000-2001 I was the first in my league of over 100+ members to create and use a haymaker deck, no evolotion cards, it had the 4 types, sure everyone from back then who played knows which 4 basic pokemon I'm talking of, with a deck filled with trainers so you can get your Pokemon out there and win the match quickly as possible, I won many matches in the matter of minutes, some on the first turn, and that haymaker deck could beat any evolotion deck easy. Heck I won 25 straight tournmanets with that deck without changing a single thing about it. That was 25 straight weeks. Never lost a single match those entire 25 weeks.

SO I think its about the same now with there being powerful basic Pokemon, gotta remember the stage 2 Pokemon have also become much better then those original ones, and the powers they have now are 10x better then anything from the basic sets. I do think the time will come where stage 1 and stage 2 Pokemon are A- always going to have more powerful attacks or B-always going to have great powers.

Last thing I want to add. Is that when the original haymaker deck came about, which was after the Fossel set came out I think, the haymaker deck would destory any evolotion deck at that time just because all the basics that did have stage 1 & 2 were like 40 to 50 HP at the time, so with Scyther or Hitmonchan you could beat any of those by your 2nd attack if not first due to weakness & plus powers, Scyther & Hitmonchan were deadly just because of the weakness most had & with use of plus power you could do 70 damage on your first attack to a 40HP Pokemon, so remember if you think its bad now your crazy, the basics for evolotion back then were HORRID

How about... Abra with 30HP & weakness. . Bulbasaur with 40HP and weakness, Magikarp 30HP with weakness.

The haymakers Electrobuzz, Scyther, Hitmonchan, Magmar, were every bit the powerful Pokemon then as any EX Pokemon is now. When you had Pokemon like Abra & Magikarp to face. Now if you have a 30HP Pokemon in your deck its cause of some power it has, back then they just stunk lol. 10 damage and 30HP can you get any worse? Gust or wind & plus power you could win in the matter of seconds on your first turn with Electrobuzz of Hitmonchan.

The reason stage 2 pokemon will never be better then a basic is due to effeciency

A stag 2 pokemon requires a minimum of 2 other cards. A basic does not need any other chard.

So if you want to play a Stage 2 pokemon, you need to have 3 cards devoted to playing that one pokemon in your deck. Instead you could have 3 Basic pokemon which leaves more room for extra support cards.

The reason stage 2 pokemon will never be better then a basic is due to effeciency

A stag 2 pokemon requires a minimum of 2 other cards. A basic does not need any other chard.

So if you want to play a Stage 2 pokemon, you need to have 3 cards devoted to playing that one pokemon in your deck. Instead you could have 3 Basic pokemon which leaves more room for extra support cards.

Which is why Basics need to be toned down a bit.

Every Pokemon battle is a battle for the universe with Legendary Pokemon duking it out. That is so un-pokemon. Each person has 3-4 of a Pokemon that is the only one in existance. Pokemon is about collecting your team, evolving them, and competing. No teams in any other Pokemon game are filled with as many legendaries as the TCG.

While Pokemon like Reshiram and Zekrom can be caught in the game, they can't be used in tournaments and are more or less "fun" pokemon. I remember Yu-Gi-Oh had a similar phenom, but they banned them, cause they were just for fun. When I first saw these EX cards I assumed they had to be placed over the Pokemons normal form, simply because "search for a basic" and "basic with 180HP" should not co-exist.

So how do we fix this? Don't label these Legendaries as BASICS. Simply calling them "Legendary" (or another term because of the double cards) would make them much harder to get out. That's not enough though, each deck needs to have a LIMIT to the amount of Legendaries. Then later sets could include Legendary specific cards, but would be under control. Pokemon Collector to grab 3 legends as of now just makes me cringe.

This would hurt the players who fork over big $$$ for multiple boxes grabbing all the EX cards though, and since these people are PTCGs best friend, they would never do such a thing. It's a shame, because if we limited these basics maybe we could get sets where half the cards aren't useless.

They should give you a job. I like your ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen of the Machamp it cantake out most of those pesky basics easy xD especially if you got some gust of winds to bring them up before they are ready.

From what I've seen of the Machamp it cantake out most of those pesky basics easy xD especially if you got some gust of winds to bring them up before they are ready.

This would be especially helpful with the Pokemon Breeder if that card is still around. If not maybe if they reprinted that it would help out the stage 2.

This would be especially helpful with the Pokemon Breeder if that card is still around. If not maybe if they reprinted that it would help out the stage 2.

Pokemon Breeder is the original Rare Candy. Gust of Wind the original Pokemon Catcher, and Item Finder the original Junk Arm. The thing is, because these cards got a name change, they are no longer tournament legal (correct me if I'm wrong). IMO you should be able to use them, just they count as their current form, so you wouldn't be able to have, say, 3 pokemon catchers and 2 gust of winds cause the cards are the same.

Other cards from older sets can still be used and some of the text is so different you need a reference! These cards are very clear in their text that they are the same thing. All 3 of these cards are staples for a majority of decks.

I was just thinking about that while playing the Pokemon TCG game on the GBC! Don't forget that Pokemon Trader is the old Pokemon Communication!

I was just thinking about that while playing the Pokemon TCG game on the GBC! Don't forget that Pokemon Trader is the old Pokemon Communication!

Yup! Thanks, I missed that one. Hard to believe that was a rare back in the day while gust of wind was a common!

Yep. Now everyone is clamoring for a Pokemon Catcher! Oh, and I almost forgot that Professor Juniper is the new Professor Oak!

EDIT:

Also, the new version of the Great Ball has the same effects as the old Master Ball, ironically.

424px-MasterBallGymChallenge116.jpg

Archived