TCG is becoming over dominated by basic pokemon

heavyarms55

With Next Destinies less than 2 weeks away I have to say Stage 2 pokemon are really becoming obsolete. The game is beccoming overly dominated by basics already but with ND it's gonna be way more so. It's making it so that you just build decks around basics, MAYBE a couple stage ones, for late game. Sure Rare candies are out there but look at the most popular cards out there, when did the TCG designers decide to render evoling pokemon obsolete and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure does seem that way, doesn't it? I think the EX Pokemon are really going to change the meta quite a bit, even with the 2-prize reward for knocking one out. Skyarrow bridge is just another benefit to basics, along with eviolite which came out in Noble Victories.

The most competitive stage 2's are the ones with abilities (there are some decent stage 2's without abilities, but I'm speaking in general terms). Magnezone, Typholsion, Chandelure, Emboar, Vileplume, etc. Sadly with the power creep that's coming from ND, I don't know if any of these are still going to be viable. I think trainer lock decks might survive, but even a fully equipped Chandelure can't OHKO a Mewtwo, even accounting for weakness.

As for why the TCG designers are doing this, who knows. They may try to cater to the younger players, so by making the game easier (why build a deck with stage 1's and stage 2's when all you need are a couple EX pokemon?) it makes it "more fun" for them. Maybe in a future set we'll see some evolution-oriented cards make a comeback, or some rule changes that make it better/easier to play stage 2's.

I don't think Magnezone is going anywhere, though. It has the ability to OHKO an EX Pokemon, it isn't weak to any of the EX Pokemon, and it has 140 HP, which is tough to OHKO. Plus, it is great against Mewtwo since at the end of your turn, you'll only have 1 or 2 energy attached to it, which neutralizes X-Ball. I think, at the very least, it's going to remain a good deck, maybe not BDIF, but still a good deck.

I do think RDL will see A LOT more play in Next Destinies though. It wrecks Mewtwo, plus it gives you 3 prizes for each KO you make, meaning you only need to knock out 2 EX Pokemon to win. Insane!

ya no idea why they doing this its a lot more fun trying to get up stage 1's and 2's not just all basic pokemon fights if they would limit it to maybe 1 ex per deck would make it better. but at least u can get 2 prizes for 1 if your even able to knock them out > <

true but to me its a little interesting and i kinda like the premmise of just seeing what i can do with a stage 2 just as a way of saying i did, now to the most part theyll just be benchers, my thing is pokemon catcher, its not the power of basics thats the problem its that you cant even stratagies with out them since any stage 1 or two's basic is just ganna get trolled with very litlle you can do to stop it. so i dont mind the use of all the basic i just hate that they made it extreamly hard for you to run anything else with out a problem from poke catcher-.-. cuz with out that card, stage 2's like gardevior, and shiftry would be way more usuable in the meta for there bench capabilities, specially with the lack of any real bench hitting basics other than mabey zapdos(untill kyogre ex) and thats still just a one 50 shot. but really i would love tp see catcher go out so that we could use more stage 1 and specially 2, even if its only for bench abilities, cuz lets face it the ever awesome gardevior sittin on the bench supplying mewtwo and (psy) darmanitan, with douple phycs would allow both of them to run threw just about anything with ease, even magnazone and another ex lol:P and of coarse maganezone can still be easily OHKO'd by a zek or resh ex with there main attacks:P

stage 1's are definitely still in the fight with stuff like yanmega prime, cinccino, and zoroark (even though yanmega has died down quite a bit recently). i do agree though the basic decks are getting very popular because of there speed and easy to get out. they're just much more reliable as well because you just need that one basic to do what you need to do, you can have 4 of each, and they don't usually rely on each other as much as evolved pokes with more intricate stategies. i don't really think it's a bad thing or anything but i do still like usin' me some stage 2's for that real power and bulk.

Yep....not sure why they decided to make basics so dominate, but they sure didn't hold anything back with it. 170 hp basics, prism energy, skyarrow, not to mention catcher getting things killed before they have a chance to evolve. I definitly miss being able to play competitve evolutino decks, but I guess that's just the state of the game right now.

At least we still have Magnezone as the unwavering champion of stage 2's I don't expect him to be going anywhere any time soon.

Totally agree. Not only are almost all of the best attackers Basic, but they keep giving us other cards that only help basics. Let's see: collector, dual ball, eviolite, prism energy, skyarrow bridge, etc. And they decided to have EX cards count as basic. I guess Heavy Ball will help some Stage 2's (but also some EX's!), but mostly the ones that didn't need help anyway (Magnezone, Emboar). They at least need to reprint Candy and make it really common, because Stage 2's are just unplayable without it.

At least EX still have the rule that you get 2 prizes when you KO one. I think they need to go back and make Reshiram, Zekrom, Shaymin, Durant, etc. EX through errata.

It's dominated by basics early on, but evolutions can still come out later on and be pretty devastating. Take Hydreigon as an example; time his Berserker Blade right and you'll take down 3 Pokemon at once. Make all three of those Pokemon-EX and you're guaranteed to instantly win.

I aggree that there are a lot more basic decks. Yesterday I went to a prerelease tournament and there were a lot of basics and EX cards used. My friend got Shaymin EX, his brother got Kyurem EX, and I got Regigigas EX after the prerelease. They Kyurem EX card was very powerful for my friends brother and helped him win. I would have got a Mewtwo EX FA if I sat at the other avaliable seat but I didn't. There do seem to be many cards helping basic which seems unfair. I like the older ex cards better than the new ones. Charizard ex from EX FireRed and LeafGreen could easily knock out any card (Except Wailord ex) with Burn Down that does 200 damage no matter what to a pokemon for any 5 energies because of its Poke-Body. Even Tyranitar ex delta species from EX dragon Frontiers can knock out any pokemon with Electromark and then Shock-Wave on the next turn that instantly knocks out any pokemon. These original ex cards can show us that the new EX are weak compared to the original and the evolution EX cards are better than basics. I agree that we'll be seeing many more Magnezone and Zoroark foul play decks to counter EX cards. Theres still a lot that we dont know about the future of pokemon TCG but I still hope that there will be evolution EX cards.

Also there is going to be a reprint of Rare Candy but its not very good. You have to have both the stage 1 and 2 cards in your hand of a basic on your bench to use it.

It is mostly due to basic pokemon being as strong as stage 2 pokemon. You need 3 different cards to play a stage 2, you only need one card for a basic

I really crave the thrill of finally breaking out that Stage 2 card and wreaking havoc on the opposing team like I can with the GBC Pokemon Trading Card Game... game. That's always such a great feeling, but now all you have is overpowered Pokemon like Reshiram wiping the floor with strategically set up Basics on the very first turn, before you even have the chance to evolve. sad_smile.png

Yes, they definitely need to fix this. Like Zylara said, basics should not be as strong as stage 2s when they take much less effort to play. I also don't know why they are getting all the support, when if anything, the stage 2 pokemon need it more. Eviolite should work on all pokemon, not just the obnoxiously powerful basics. They are really screwing up the game!

Nah.. They don't need to fix this at all.

I have played potpourri style decks from the start of pokemon. Utilizing basic pokemon with the ability of dodrio to move in and out and card with relatively low energy cost to attack. This giving the ability to utilize type advantage and get 2x the attack power. These ex cards are GREAT. they are just GIVING me 2 prize cards. They still don't change a whole lot. 170 hp? No big deal, Most the attacks I use are 80 damage and with a plus power (run 4 in a deck with 4 junk arms) Im doing 180 damage !!! Still doesn't effect whether I can 1HKO a stand RESH or a RESH EX. But now I can get 2 prizes! WOOT.

They weren't just complaining about EX pokemon, but all overpowered basic pokemon in general.

But this has always been the case when I have played TCG. I played originally for the first 5-6 releases, then stopped playing then came back with the advent of this ONLINE option.

Even from the get go.. HAYMAKER decks were all the rage... Gust of wind (orginal pokemon catcher). etc etc etc.

Fossil came out, I added aerodactyl to the mix to limit the evolution of the opponent like archeops does today. It just was 10x easier to get aerodactyl out versus archeops.

also, dodrio was used for retreating with no or very little cost.

Utlizing a Potpourri deck back then is just as good as it is now since the trainer cards are making it like that.

I guess for the people are YOUNG and never played orginal base set, this could seem like a change, BUT.... this is just how it used to be :D

well, with the exception of TOOL cards, and the separation of TRAINER/Supporter cards. hahahah. I remember being able to OAK and BILL like crazy to get what you want for TONS OF 1st round knockouts (if you were player 2.) Cause you couldn't attack on TURN 1 if you went first.

It is true that I haven't really started playing the game until it became available online, even though I had collected the cards from Base Set up until Gym Heroes. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that if you put a lot more effort into getting a card out, its attacks and abilities should be superior to one that you can play from the get-go. It doesn't make sense. And then giving those already overpowered basics all the support and reprinting Gust of Wind is just really stupid. I also don't agree with allowing the player who goes first to be allowed to do everything the player going second can. It is too big of an advantage. I would like battles that aren't over in one to two minutes, and I feel like taking some power away from the big basic pokemon would do that, and allow for more strategy. Plus, most of my favorite Pokemon are stage 2s:3

Yeah, having a basic card that can hit for 120 damage is kinda a silly. in the original base set. You still had stage 2's with 100-120 HP. You still had rare candy type cards. But the Basic pokemon were cards with 70ish hit points. They were less. They didn't have attacks that hit too hard. 20-30 dmg, scyther with 30 for slash and a 1st time setup for slash to do 60 on turn 2, electabuz with 10-30 damage, magmar with 10-20 with effects.

Its just the Low cost no setup time, and the ability to take advantage of type disadvantage. most decks that utilize 2nd stage pokes are Color/Type specific throughout the deck which can be hurt by a weakness, etc..

So I guess the VERY FEW basics that are HIgh HP and High Damage (i.e dragons) are a little different then it's predecessors. Its still not as big of an issue as people think. Atleast from what I have experienced.

ya the old school cards took way more skill all these basics are so easy to set up and play, can actually see what move is going be done next > <

ya the old school cards took way more skill all these basics are so easy to set up and play, can actually see what move is going be done next > <

What are you talking about? Old sk00l cards are played exactly as these are today :/ You must not have played the first 3-5 years of the game?

Archived