Arceus/Heatran VMAX

guruguy87

One of my more meta decks... (slightly off meta though, nobody is actually playing this in tournaments cuz obviously palkia hits heatran for weakness) It has a 60% win ratio out of 220 games. Mostly just use Arceus v star turn 2.. you know the drill... heatran vmax has pulled off some game winning healing combos with the ice pops and pokemon center lady combined with it's ability. Radiant heatran helps with the miltank matchup(heatran also can burn the miltank to win those games), same with eiscue (who is fantastic vs regi and lunatones and single prize lost zone box) Even though the matchup vs palkia "is bad" I have won games vs it. Thoughts? 

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 3 Arceus V BRS 122
* 3 Arceus VSTAR BRS 123
* 3 Heatran V ASR 25
* 1 Radiant Heatran ASR 27
* 3 Heatran VMAX ASR 26
* 1 Eiscue EVS 47

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Magma Basin BRS 144
* 4 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Switch CES 147
* 4 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 3 Marnie SSH 200
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Big Charm SSH 158
* 1 Roxanne ASR 150
* 1 Choice Belt BRS 135
* 1 Adventurer's Discovery FST 224
* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 1 Pokémon Center Lady CPA 60
* 2 Lucky Ice Pop EVS 150

##Energy - 15

* 1 Water Energy Energy 3
* 4 Double Turbo Energy BRS 151
* 10 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 12:15 AM, guruguy87 said:

One of my more meta decks... (slightly off meta though, nobody is actually playing this in tournaments cuz obviously palkia hits heatran for weakness) It has a 60% win ratio out of 220 games

There's a difference between "coherent" and "meta." This is not remotely meta. If nobody plays it at tournaments, then by definition it's not meta.

Win Rate says nothing about how good a deck is overall. A deck's win rate (over a large number of games) tells you how good that deck is compared to your normal level of play. If a player "Joe" normally plays bad decks (theme or theme+) they will face other players with similarly bad decks. If Joe then picks up a competitive Centiskorch VMAX deck, Centiskorch VMAX will have an incredible win rate and Joe might make the (false) conclusion that Centiskorch VMAX is the best deck ever.

In reality, Centiskorch is not tournament-viable but its better than the bad decks Joe normally faces. Eventually, Joe will start playing better players and hopefully learn why nobody plays Centiskorch anymore.

Thoughts? 

Looking at your list, I can't help but feel this deck is begging for some Ultra Balls and 1-2 Crobat V. You have 4 Evolution Incense but only 6 valid targets for them. Ultra Ball can find those same Pokemon, but it can also find Basic Pokemon and clear out dead cards from hand to draw more with Crobat. More draw support = less need for search cards.

10 fire energy seems like a lot, especially since you can recover them pretty easily with Magma Basin and accelerate with Arceus. Flying Pikachu decks play ~7 basic energies, and they don't have Magma Basin to get them back.

WCC Blockface 70
During your opponent's next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from Basic Pokémon.

This is not worth it. Presumably you'll be attacking for 50 damage with DTE's damage reduction, but even then you're still not OHKOing anything you claim to use it for. Lunatone has 90HP, Miltank has 110 (160 with Cape) so that's 2-4 turns spent attacking. You'll just get bossed.

Cheren's Care (which you should look into) lets you deny prizes to these singleprize decks that can't OHKO you. If you're worried about basic attackers in general, you could always play Flying Pikachu instead of Heatran, but that sorta defeats the purpose of playing heatran.

eiscue (who is fantastic vs ... single prize lost zone box)

Eiscue is literally useless here. Sableye places damage counters instead of dealing direct damage, which Blockface does not block.

Edited by IceBeamTogetic
point about eiscue v lostbox

• 5 weeks later...

Eiscue just won me a game last night vs Regi deck and regular takes wins that way. So I'm NOT removing it, nope. 

You are correct about win rate though of course. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, guruguy87 said:

Eiscue just won me a game last night vs Regi deck and regular takes wins that way. So I'm NOT removing it, nope. 

You are correct about win rate though of course. 

eis is very mid, many top tier decks just manage without and that's simply the fact of the matter. at least play 1 aurora instead of 1 water if you insist on keeping such a pathetic card