PTCGO Live Killing Legacy?

Bludrigg

Why can't we have legacy format cards/packs transferred?
We've invested time, (some people money) and effort to accumulate our collection for that format.
Now it's just gonna go poof and we lose that content, and can't still use the old client to continue playing...
Limiting players to 4 copies of a card and taking away trading doesn't seem helpful in any sense either.

It makes no sense to kill an entire format, just because of a new client.

• Upvote 5

It requires investment to get collections. A collectible card game!

With a company as big as Pokemon, I would think they'd understand, that as a playerbase we have faith in the company. 
Meaning; We thought our collections would remain safe. (They have been safe throughout the pokemon franchise games, trading your pokemon from prior versions of the game)
We considered our online collection just as valuable as our paper ones, (more so now that online play has been the only outlet given the pandemic)

Heart Gold/Soul Silver not being transferable?
Those cards being some of the most expensive to trade for among them.
You're going to turn all our Legacy decks into dust?

Loads of players ONLY play Legacy.
I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get into a match for Legacy.
The playerbase is there to support the Legacy format in a new client.

It's really disheartening.

Edited by Bludrigg
  • Upvote 5

1. That's programing the developers don't want to do or were told not to do. A big reason is because their is no "1st hand" market anymore for older packs of cards. The Pokemon company no longer profits off older sets. 

2. The Pokemon company does not want to be helpful, they want to make a profit. If getting rid of trading pushes people who play this game for free to become consumers and buy their products instead of just trading or letting friends borrow specific digital cards then they'll do it.

3. Digital goods like these cards have no value in the world. Value, only the individuals give them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

to put things in perspective, this policy on removing HGSS only makes me assume that every set not in the standard rotation of the time will eventually become "too old" to justify the developers continue supporting at some point. later down the line all the black & white, sun & moon, and sword & shield era expansions could be taken away as well, basically everything is considered temporary and disposable.

to me it really feels like the digital equivalent of someone destroying a binder of old cards you collected years ago, because this person decided the collection was not longer relevant enough to exist.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, marvisj said:

later down the line all the black & white, sun & moon, and sword & shield era expansions could be taken away as well

Legacy wasn't ever an official format, it was Pokemon TCG Online own exclusive thing. Three official formats are Standart, Expanded and Unlimited. I feel sad TPCI didn't go the way of bringing all sets into Pokemon CG LIVE in order to allow Unlimited, but I doubt they will ever take away cards from BW onward, because they are Expanded legal. 

Edited by Kostyurik

Still, lost an opportunity to continue a market and play format for all legacy formats in the metaverse by breaking the trust of existing holders of older cards. could have turned them into crypto tokens, and been in control of selling more booster packs or introducing even older sets to collect and play with in the Pokémon universe. Just the idea of a card or token worth something now and forever would increase collector value. I think cards like junk arm and the prime cards are super cool, now please take them from me. Unless they change their mind about the Ptcgo accounts and their ability to trade and transfer to live as older sets are added in.

• Upvote 1

Expanded is a complete gong show of a format. It's unfun and unplayable.
At least Legacy you have fair matchups.
Expanded is like T2-T3 DynaVmaxSuperUber 350hp base HP Pokemon that sweeps an entire team.
Or the opponent durdles around for 15 minutes then concedes.

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Bludrigg said:

It's unfun and unplayable.

Dude, it depends on your preferences and skills. From my point of view, with what you said, you just can't be more wrong.

I'm playing only Expanded since 2015 (before that I was playing only Unlimited, but Shiftry happened and Unlimited was deleted from the game) and it's like the only fun and playable format for me. I've tried Standart a couple of times, but it's slow and way too limited (lacking all my favorite trainer cards and setup Pokemon) and in Standart I'm forced to wipe my favorite decks every year because of rotation. Legacy somehow even more slow despite being the only format with Shaymin EX, and the worst thing it is stall format, it don't get new cards added, so it is even more limited, because it have finite amount of possible decks you can make and face against.

There are not a single card having 350HP currently. Snorlax VMax, Eternatus VMax and Copperajah VMax have 340HP which is now maximum (Eternatus VMax is the ace of my most played deck). And while I could make it turn two or three, I'm very rarely able to sweep an entire opponent's team with it. Many contemporary cards can make 170 damage hitting for weakness as fast as I can set up my Eternatus VMax (eg. Galarian Zapdos V), and there a ton of (very annoying) strategies of doing way more than 340 damage each turn (eg. Volcarona V or Blissey V or rapid strike Malamar) heal 270 HP every turn (eg. Togekiss VMax), even just screw my game altogether (eg. Path to the peak or Silent lab or Sudowoodo). Expanded allow almost limitless amount of creativity while constructing decks, and all those "powerful" cards are making it even more fun.
I started playing Pokemon TCG Online back in the 2011, and at the time there were like no strategy to the game - first person to make Stage 2 basically guaranteed to win. It wasn't really interesting until EX cards and Mewtwo EX in particular made the matches more "smart", because instead of making Stage 2 players were be able to play powerful basic. Yes it is 2-prize card, but it is fair exchange. And then card designers brought more powerful basics - GX cards, Tag Teams, V cards, Prism Stars... I'd probably stop playing and quit the game long ago without all those 2-prize and 3-prize cards.

Edited by Kostyurik
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Sorry 300-320hp base. My bad.

"Dude, it depends on your preferences"
"It's like the only fun and playable format for me"

Subjective differences and preferences.
Legacy is the only reason I still play this game.

Edited by Bludrigg
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1