What To Do Before Migrating To TCG Live

Salmancer

While the TCGO will be shut down, that doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing left to do before TCG Live comes to life. Since cards will be transferable from Online to Live, picking up some useful cards before the switch is beneficial. So: a list of things that can be done before transferring that can help.

• Spend Every Trainer Token

Trainer Tokens won't be moved to the new client, so spending them all now is preferable. If there are any Theme Decks you don't have, maybe purchase those to bolster your collection. If you don't have the sleeves and deckboxes available in the store, buying those now might save you Crystals down the line. And if there is nothing else to get, buying Booster Packs of a set you don't have many cards of will at least give you some value.

Note that you should not buy Pikachu Avatar Boxes, since Avatar items were specifically noted to not transfer.

Make sure to leave at least one unopened booster pack in your inventory. We don't know how well Crystals compare to Trainer Tokens, but getting 250 Crystals for 200 Trainer Tokens looks like an okay deal. 

• Trade for Staple Cards

Trading will not be available in PTCG Live. From an economy standpoint, this means that it will be easier to obtain lots of different cards but harder to acquire the cards that you actually need. Therefore, it is a good idea to grab any staple cards now so that you aren't desperately opening booster packs for them later. I'm out of the loop regarding current staples, I can at the very least say that cards like Crobat V, Boss's Orders, Quick Ball, and Marnie are super important for building most kinds of decks.

• Store Deck Lists Elsewhere

Even though all of the cards will be transferring, decklists will not. Reassembling decks in TCG Live could be tedious, so take the opportunity to export your deck lists and save them in another application. Then load them back into TCG Live so you can get back to playing games.

Edited by Salmancer
Lack of trading was confirmed, so updating the Trade section

I would assume that Tournament Tickets do not transfer since they are probably considered a currency like Trainer Tokens almost certainly are. Tickets are even displayed in the same place that Tokens are.

From the TCGO Sunset FAQ:

Spoiler

Pokémon TCG Online players will NOT be able to transfer the following content to Pokémon TCG Live:

• Pokémon TCG cards from the HeartGold & SoulSilver Series
  • Unopened products and bundles
  • Certain coins, card sleeves, and deck boxes
  • In-game currency
  • Friends list
  • Saved deck lists
Edited by Salmancer
Additional Reasoning

22 hours ago, Salmancer said:

Make sure to leave at least one unopened booster pack in your inventory. We don't know how well Crystals compare to Trainer Tokens, but getting 250 Crystals for 200 Trainer Tokens looks like an okay deal.

Do we have clarification yet on whether locked items will count? I'm concerned that purchasing a booster pack with Tokens will not count for Crystals.

2 hours ago, SlyCooperFan1 said:

Do we have clarification yet on whether locked items will count? I'm concerned that purchasing a booster pack with Tokens will not count for Crystals.

Not yet. It's entirely possible that we don't get any clarification on the topic at all until Live goes up and the first people start transferring. I sure hope that we do get this clarified, although I think that since Trainer Tokens are mostly confirmed to not transfer, it isn't much of a risk to spend 200 of them on a booster pack.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, luckyapple142 said:

I plan to do nothing.  Why would I care about migrating to something that clearly does not want me.

Hey I read that you said to tyranicalsleeve that you have some unused hgss codes then please give me privately on some other platform pleeeease

• Downvote 4