Y u no have a draw lock card, Pokemon Tcg?

SlowpokeXXL

In short, it's getting pretty boring to play against Eelzone more than 50% of the time. Simply OP atm, you can get a proper overall attack force up and running in a mere few turns and provide the trainer backup (catchers/junk arm/switch) for the remainder of the match due to Zone's ability.

Now obviously it would be OP to slap a draw lock ability on a basic Pokemon - perhaps even on a single card; but that doesn't take away the fact that one is needed. I'm thinking a combo like the Lunatone/Solrock Heal block one.

From the looks of it though, ND won't have it atleast. Actually, it gives people even more incentive to run Eelzone with the arrival of Zekrom Ex. So, what's supposed to be a strategic game is turning out more and more into a case of kids bugging their parents going ''Mommy mommy, please give us $150 so we can afford a deck that requires almost no skill whatsoever to use, yet pwnz everything''. It'll turn into something simple, like a clash of toy swords - Eelzone vs Eelzone.

Discuss.

P.S. Could not find a more suitable forum section to post this in. Deck construction no, suggestions maybe. More of a discussion than a suggestion though.

Which part doesn't make sense to you? OP means overpowered. Not sure what else you might not understand, assuming you play the tcg above novice level.

I would assume it is because draw lock is one of the most frustrating mechanics in TCG's.

They shouldn't have made Eelektrik then imo, the Lightning type has way too much going for it atm. I say Eelektrik cause Magnezone has been made way before them - I'd rather had seen Magnezone as a steel type, that would've made things alot more fair (because it's not just the rare draw power it has, also its attack).

Also, they gave it too much hp...The magnemite evolution has great Sp atk and Speed but low-ish hp...instead they give Zone a whopping 140 hp, which makes it a 2HKO to pretty much everything, including Donphans earthquake and Reshi/Zekroms 120 attacks. Doesn't really help either that the fighting types all have huge retreat costs, making them catcher bait, which makes people not play them.

Who's "They"??? The Pokemon co??? they just make the cards, players come up with the decks. I remember when all decks needed to have claydoll and uxie for their abilities. And there were OP decks back then too. Welcome to TCG's. At least pokemon tcg is more balanced then other games, such as a certain tcg where the card victory dragon would instantly win the game if it ko'd the opponents monster..

The fact that it's a popular deck could be good for you... just build a deck to counter it and you win :D

Who's "They"??? The Pokemon co??? they just make the cards, players come up with the decks. I remember when all decks needed to have claydoll and uxie for their abilities. And there were OP decks back then too. Welcome to TCG's. At least pokemon tcg is more balanced then other games, such as a certain tcg where the card victory dragon would instantly win the game if it ko'd the opponents monster..

The fact that it's a popular deck could be good for you... just build a deck to counter it and you win :D

That certain tcg has a banlist and the mentioned card is on it ;) - which is all I'll say about that subject as it is forbidden to discuss other tcg's (according to zhe forum rules).

But yes, I highly doubt that the Pokemon Company puts no thought whatsoever in the card effects that they slap on the cards. Yes, they make the cards, but I'd like to believe that they have atleast some kind of 'tactical group' who come up with the cards/effects for the next set, weighing them off against already existing ones included. I would be very dissapointed to hear otherwise, mind you lol.

As for your last line, I will tell you why that bothers me. It bothers me because the counter to an Eelzone deck is sadly, a Durant deck. That should NOT be the best counter, because it is extremely inconsistent which means that at tournaments the best you could do with it is to hope to face off against an opponent who packs alot of drawpower, most likely knocking them out and destroying their hopes of winning the tournament. Not only that, a Durant deck is also an extremely cowardish deck to play (in my opinion, atleast). And lastly, it is sorta luck based depending on which cards you discard from the opponent's deck. If luck is the best counter to the strongest card/deck, well, need I say more lol.

Ah well, thanks for your post anyway. I would certainly see myself run a fighting deck (partially most likely) if they weren't so slow to set up/had less than 3 retreat cost. Donphan 4, Terrakion 4, Machamp 3... only 1 energy attach per turn unless you mix in an Electrode line(s).

Use a Metagross-Chandelure deck with lots of switch and you'll see how eelzone falls apart with their eelektrikes being sniped around the bench. Plus the Burn+Confuse is a brilliant way to make the opponent hesitate before LZing energies and they cant even retreat with ease once the eelektrikes are gone!!!

As for disruption decks, i dont think anything beats MewGar. You'l get to LZing their hand from T3 already and it'll take them quite a bit of luck to set up a Magnezone before T3. Run a Lucario (Dimension Sphere ) on it and Zekroms are pretty much dust. besides if you can get the Lost World up and running you can win the game even if your opponent has a 5 card prize lead. Trust me i have played down Eelzone so many times i definitly dont think its BDIF. If anything is, then its Chandelure-Lock or Metalure (which i find faster and more effective than the plume variant)...though im pretty sure the arrival of EXs are going to hugely inconvenience Chandelure decks! :|

Yes, that's what I've read about and kept in mind when I made this post (I've played with the Chandy Vileplume variant btw). There's just no way that Chandy will have much of a competitve edge left after ND comes out. I've never tried playing with a MewGar deck - I will give this a go since you do make it sound practical haha :P, thanks.

Main questions I'd have with it is how consistent it is and how it would fare against other decks. Not overly concerned with that though - It'll be nice to atleast try out something different as long as it does well against all the Eelzone players that are around atm.

Archived