Tournaments are Pointless for New Players

mthverse

Throwing everyone together, no matter the level of skill is STUPID!!! Who wants free wins, I'm forfeiting instantly so I can get my coins and and stupid chests has soon as possible. 

• Downvote 1

no, if you are a beginner why are you even touching the tournaments?

Play TC then VS for at least 5 seasons, but you need to get the FA in all the 5 seasons. Or play until you get 5 of them. 

Then start playing theme tournament slowly, use only Relentless Flames, The Dragonite ones, the two theme decks from Cosmic Eclipse (Sun & Moon).

If you do like this, you'll most probably get to the finals, then use the reward packs and trade them, D O N O T O P E N T H E M ! Then trade them and get a useful card, then build an expanded or a standard deck. Then play another 3 seasons and get the FAs. Then shred your deck, make it more stronger, now you'll have some tradeable packs and the VS Ladder rewards. Then start attempting Expanded or Standard tournament.

PTCGO is a complex game,

Put many permutations and combination and create an unique deck.

Play, trade, build, win, lose and have fun!

I have played this for almost 2 years now solely in theme versus because the rate at which we get pack is beyond slow! I can never build a deck quick enough before something new is released and screws up the meta. I have saved over 1100 tickets since I last played any tournament. I chose Standard events so at the very least I get coins out of it instead of just useless chests. 

31 minutes ago, mthverse said:

I have played this for almost 2 years now solely in theme versus because the rate at which we get pack is beyond slow! I can never build a deck quick enough before something new is released and screws up the meta. I have saved over 1100 tickets since I last played any tournament. I chose Standard events so at the very least I get coins out of it instead of just useless chests. 

Build a deck!

You're just playing in the theme format for two years?! 

Just tell me what kind of deck you wanna build?

Here is the most budget Blastoise GX deck I use, it's excellent! I played a match with it just now, OHKOing two VMAX Pokemon:- Gyarados VMAX and Glaceon VMAX

Deck List:-

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Oranguru SSH 148
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 57
* 1 Jirachi TEU 99
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 2 Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71
* 1 Blastoise & Piplup-GX CEC 38
* 1 Glaceon V EVS 40
* 1 Keldeo-GX UNM 219
* 1 Squirtle TEU 22
* 3 Squirtle TEU 23
* 3 Wartortle TEU 24
* 2 Blastoise TEU 25
* 2 Blastoise-GX UNB 35

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 1 Nessa VIV 157
* 3 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 3 Dive Ball PRC 125

##Energy - 20

* 16 Water Energy Energy 3
* 2 Splash Energy BKP 113
* 2 Wash {W} Energy VIV 165

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

->Blastoise GX as the main attacker

-> Keldeo GX for defence against TAGTEAM GX Pokemon

-> Blastoise & Piplup GX as the supporting attacker

-> Mewtwo & Mew GX as the mixed attacker (Blastoise GX + Keldeo GX + Blastoise & Piplup GX)

-> Blastoise TEU for energy acceleration (Blastoise engine), It would be better than Frosmoth cuz you shuffle them back into your deck, so with Blastoise's ability it can bring energy to u!

-> Mew, Jirachi, Oranguru and Dedenne GX for support (staple cards)

I have built decks! I've copied decks! They never work! 20 games in a row every time not only do I always get a useless hand, my opponent always has gold! You are not the first person to list a deck for me. IT WON"T WORK. EX. I just won my first standard with ICE RIDER Vmax, but that was only because all of my opponents were AI using theme decks only reassembled for standard. In fact while I was typing this I lost to a PikaRom not because of strategy on his part (he only played Marnie once and no other trainers), but because I could get to my Vmax! This game is one sided! 

Then, send your deck list, I'll help you............

But first I suggest you to switch to expanded, cuz you can battle a whole lot of different decks other than the same Urshifus or Calyrexs

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 4 Ice Rider Calyrex V CRE 45
* 4 Sobble CRE 41
* 4 Drizzile SHF 99
* 1 Inteleon SHF 100
* 3 Inteleon CRE 43
* 4 Ice Rider Calyrex VMAX CRE 46

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Air Balloon SSH 156
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 3 Marnie SSH 169
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Switch SSH 183
* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Level Ball BST 129
* 4 Melony CRE 146
* 2 Path to the Peak CRE 148
* 2 Capacious Bucket RCL 156

##Energy - 7

* 7 Water Energy SWSHEnergy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I'm trying to prepare for rotation with this build! I don't care for Expanded because I'm not interested in wasting resources trying to get older cards when standard cards are already I grind to obtain.

No major problem, 

1. Replace Drizzile SSH with Drizille CRE.

2. Replace Level Ball with Evolution Incense, but no rare candy, cuz we need to fully utilize the 'Shady Dealings Ability'.

3. Players do use Path to the Peak in their standard deck but still, I don't think that you need it.

4. Make all Pokemon to 3 from 4

5. Add all those cards as energies.

That's it i guess, try playing with it

Edited by RaginTyphlosion

New players should spend their tournament tickets on Theme tournaments, put some research into what are the best decks for that as they only cost 500 coins each.

Theme tournaments are a waste of time! Players don't get anything for losing in the first round. I played over 50 theme tournaments with (Relentless Fire)back to back once only getting to the second round twice. I hadn't played since, so I decided to save up my tickets until a card set was released that I really wanted (Evolving Skies). I saved up over 1100 tickets just as Evolving skies was released, so you can image how long I saved tickets. I built decks over that time, trying to learn to best run them and tested their consistencies hoping to at least get through the first round of each tournament, so it wouldn't be a waste of time. After all that time nothing changed! 

*plus theme is just stale now since Pokemon stopped releasing new theme decks!

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, mthverse said:

Theme tournaments are a waste of time! Players don't get anything for losing in the first round. I played over 50 theme tournaments with (Relentless Fire)back to back once only getting to the second round twice. I hadn't played since, so I decided to save up my tickets until a card set was released that I really wanted (Evolving Skies). I saved up over 1100 tickets just as Evolving skies was released, so you can image how long I saved tickets. I built decks over that time, trying to learn to best run them and tested their consistencies hoping to at least get through the first round of each tournament, so it wouldn't be a waste of time. After all that time nothing changed! 

*plus theme is just stale now since Pokemon stopped releasing new theme decks!

yes I do agree, I've also played like 84 theme tournaments but only won 6 times......., And, you always see the same deck all the time like Relentless Flames, Charizard VIV, Storm Caller, Kyogre CEC and Groudon CEC. Like I am really tired of playing them, so now I don't even touch them, and I'm pretty satisfied with expanded

Edited by RaginTyphlosion
typo

@RaginTyphlosionI've done what you said and gone back to playing standard versus and while nothing like standard tournaments I still don't see it being a good stepping stone leading into standard tournaments. Either pokemon online adds some sort of tier system or they need to add an option where players can redeem tickets for packs. Ex. 10 tickets for 1 pack. The set up now is just lazy. 

Theme Format is as close to 50/ 50 as it gets. Everbody has the same "luck" in the game and if you pick one of the four to five best decks, chances are prety even (if both players play at  the same skill level). In order to win a tournament you have to beat 3 opponents so the expected value of wins per tournament is p=(0.5)^3=12,5%. Out of 84 tournaments you should've won ~21. Since you have won significantly less you should find out how that happened. It's a smaller sample size so maybe you were unlucky, but I'd consider getting used to the different strategies of the decks and especially when to use which.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at **** AM, OelBoy said:

Theme Format is as close to 50/ 50 as it gets. Everbody has the same "luck" in the game and if you pick one of the four to five best decks, chances are prety even (if both players play at  the same skill level). In order to win a tournament you have to beat 3 opponents so the expected value of wins per tournament is p=(0.5)^3=12,5%. Out of 84 tournaments you should've won ~21. Since you have won significantly less you should find out how that happened. It's a smaller sample size so maybe you were unlucky, but I'd consider getting used to the different strategies of the decks and especially when to use which.

I don't know why I said "expected value of wins per", it has to be "probability of winning a"

6 hours ago, OelBoy said:

I don't know why I said "expected value of wins per", it has to be "probability of winning a"

Hello @OelBoy

Thank you for the above correction.

Just a quick reminder on the rules. Reviving old threads is not allowed.

We recommend you eventually start a new thread to continue discussing this topic.

I'll be closing this discussion to avoid further infractions.

• Mod_GuruLot locked this topic