Any middle-aged Dads out there that can help me figure this stuff out?

playz3994

Wanted my boys (10 and 12) to go outside and hang out.  Learn some social skills during Covid.  Got them both battle decks as well as got me one (Venosaur V - 12, Gardivore V - 10, and Inteloeon - me).

I've received the three "theme decks" and played through all the AIs to get an additional deck.  I offered the neighbourhood kids 10 cents each for their unwanted QR code thingamajigs (with parent' permission) so now I have a bazillion pokemon but no idea what to do next.

I only pay online as hanging out in a condo courtyard with a bunch of kids seems like a fast track to getting on a watch list.  That said, there are little notices that pop up in TCG Online such as "Knock out opponents with a water guy and get a prize".  I click the Hidden Depths deck that came with the game and although I might kick out a card or two, I consistently and unerringly get my **** handed to me.  Is there a secret to this?  What are GX/EX cards?  Why do some cards do 200+ damage... I mean... my cards only have 60 hit points.  Should I be doing something special with my deck?

Anyways, fun little hobby but holy smokes can it get expensive.  Shout out to "Magic Stronghold" in Vancouver for triggering this family obsession.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello there! I am not a middle-aged dad but a middle-aged mom.. my son who is now 13 has been collecting Pokemon cards since he was in second grade but never knew how to play the actual card game. So quarantine made me decide that he and I were actually going to learn how to play the game together. We went online and figured out how you have to build the x etc blah blah blah. I started playing the online game about a month and a half ago and found the same thing that you did. Everybody has crazy decks that would kill me in like a minute. So what I decided to do was look for the deck building strategies that you can find online and then print those out and look for which cards I already had and which ones I needed. There is a website called potown where you can buy online codes for individual cards and also for booster packs. You can buy sword and shield booster packs in bulk on there. The ones that I found were $19 for 50 codes and you get 10 cards for each code. Then I went back on to the game and traded for most of the cards that I needed to build a stronger deck. Then whatever I couldn't trade for I went back on to PO town and bought individual cards that I was short. That part of it is actually kind of fun and it's really not that expensive to be honest. Now I have two pretty decent decks that I have good luck with. I built an eternitus vmax deck and also the tag team electric deck that has Pikachu and zecrom.      

Actually building a list and finding the cards and trading and doing all of that jazz is really fun. The only part that sucks about trading is that you can only trade cards that you actually own not ones that you have gotten as part of booster packs that you have opened on the app 

[Edited by Mod_Diamond - Only official Pokémon URLs are allowed on the forums]