Using Starting Cards, Theme Decks and Ladder Rewards to Build Decks

Yeesterbunny

19 hours ago, Adrammelech_ said:

This is the best thread for new and returning players!

😁

19 hours ago, Adrammelech_ said:

So I am thinking of transitioning slowly to Expanded, getting 2x Mach Strike. The Garchomp - Lucario - Synthia synergy seems amazing. Can I use my Dragon Call Gabites in this or are they soon going to go out of rotation?

And another question, Fighting Garchomp is a better choice I've read somewhere. Is this the one @guruguy87 mentioned from Towering Heights or is there a newer/better one?

If it is, that's way more budget friendly than Gar-taria back in the day (as you had to buy a lot of boosters to grab/trade all those garchomps and altarias, not to mention most trainer cards)

Yes, the Synergy in Garchomp decks is powerful and critical to any kind of success with it.

You should be able to use your gabites in expanded.

There is a fighting version of the Garchomp from Mach Strike.

That version allows you to use Korrina (pull a stage 2 & rare candy? Yes please), Prism Star Diancie, strong energy, etc.

Here's a list I've used. Could probably use some improvement.

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Diancie {*} FLI 74
* 4 Gible FLI 60
* 2 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Gabite FLI 61
* 2 Lucario UPR 67
* 4 Garchomp FLI 62
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 3 Korrina FFI 95
* 2 Energy Loto GRI 122
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 3 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 3 Random Receiver FCO 109
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Muscle Band XY 121
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 9

* 4 Strong Energy FFI 104
* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 1 Fighting Energy SMEnergy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Garchomp in Towering heights is a fighting type but doesn't use the Cynthia, Lucario Synergy.

@Adrammelech_Yes that is the garchomp. Hits for 200 for 2 energy if your behind on prizes. Hits for 240 if you have martial arts dojo. Hits for 260 if you have muscle band and the dojo. Hits for 280 if you have the muscle band, dojo and Diance prism star on bench. Hits for 300 or more if you also have strong energy attached. Which of course knocks out many of those 3 prizer tag teams and some Vmax.. I have found through lots of deck building that having a "fast attacker" in addition to some slower stronger attackers is the best way to go. Too many decks that I have seen rely only on slow attackers and thus less functional/good need to wait a turn and sacrifice a one prizer or even (pathetically/sadly) a sacrifice a two prizer while they wait to power up. 

@Yeesterbunny, And this statement I take some argument with "130 damage is just not enough in the current Meta." I would sort agree, but I would edit the statement to say "130 damage is slightly below ideal for a two prize pokemon" since if Zamazenta was a single prizer it would be better. There is a cacturne that just came out in battle styles that is moderately good that does 130 for 2 energy. (having 3 energy that does 130 for zamazenta is also another "problem" is the cost of the attack isn't super ideal for 130 damage) The best ideal numbers to hit though are 160-170 which is a two shot against all vmaxes. (assuming they aren't using extra HP buffers or damage reduction modifications). The unfortunate reality is actually not that many pokemon (especially single prizers) can hit for 160+. There are a few and they are super legit. 

As for a Zamazenta V build using mainly theme decks/ladder rewards you could put together one with 4 professor research, 4 trainers mail, 4 metal saucer, 4 max elixer, zacian V, Zamazenta V and then some single prizers like Duraludon and for a fast attacker probopass (if you have galar mine stadium which cannot be found inside theme decks). Mix and match other things, catchers, etc. 

Edited by guruguy87

Here's some quick notes: I'll probably add more later.

The ladder reward this time is Dragapult V + the V max.  A single copy is not really a good way to build a deck but let's have a look anyways.

Jet Assault for 2 Psychic energy can do 140 if you're moving from the bench so if we delve into the theme decks we'd want to get a lot of switches & escape ropes to make use of that damage boost.

With only a single copy we'd probably want a rescue stretcher or 2.

The VMax attack does 130 and puts 5 damage counters on your opponents bench.

Barraskewda from the Drednaw theme deck might be a good pairing for Dragapult since it can hit the bench except we'd have to have 2 energy types.