Venomoth

Yeesterbunny

This deck is on the budget side, I was able to get 4 Venomoths for about 2-3 BST packs estimated value(I created my own trades and got all 4 within a few hours).

If you choose to or end up going first you can be evolved and attacking on your second turn.

I played a handful of games on the ladder to test it out with decent results.

First match was a win against a rapid strike deck, poor starting hand but KO'd their Urshifu and they conceded.

Second match was all round bad loss against a Charizard deck, 4 mulligans, 1 venonat in active, nothing helpful in hand,  they evolved to Charmeleon and KO'd with weakness.

Third match was a win vs another fire deck but a good starting hand got setup quick and KO'd three V's in row (Incinaroar, Victini and I forgot the last one)

Fourth match was a win vs some kind of dark deck with an Alolan Persian-GX. They tried to stall while evolving and energizing the Persian but I was evolving and energizing a Venomoth on the bench with basic energy and cleaned up.

A couple more matches with unexpected concedes.

An interesting match against Muk & Muk where I failed to utilize my Aromatic energy (forgot all about it). It was pretty back and forth but sadly I had to concede because of real world intrusion. This also highlighted the weakness of the Janine synergy because it only blocks damage from attacks, not effects.

My list and a card breakdown are below, input would be appreciated.

The list:

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Paras TEU 6
* 2 Venonat UNB 9
* 2 Venonat UNB 10
* 2 Parasect TEU 7
* 4 Venomoth-GX UNB 12

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 1 Cherish Ball UNM 191
* 3 Pokégear 3.0 SSH 174
* 4 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 4 Janine UNB 176
* 2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 4 Random Receiver FCO 109
* 2 Virbank City Gym PLS 126
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Koga's Trap HIF 59
* 2 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Weakness Policy BUS 126

##Energy - 11

* 6 Grass Energy SWSHEnergy 1
* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 1 Aromatic {G} Energy VIV 162

Total Cards - 60

The Pokémon - 12

These are to get to Venomoth, you could use all of one kind or the other
* 2 Venonat UNB 9 <--This has a useful single grass energy attack "Radar Eyes" (pick a card from the top 7)
* 2 Venonat UNB 10 <-- single grass energy confuse attack

* 4 Venomoth-GX  <---Stage 1 Main attacker,  3 cost attack with supporter synergy-see below

The GX attack is probably best used early to help get setup.

Spoiler

GCC Shinobi Mastery 110+

If you played Koga's Trap from your hand during this turn, this attack does 90 more damage. If you played Janine from your hand during this turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from Basic Pokémon during your opponent's next turn.

C Ten-Card Return-GX 60

Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then, draw 10 cards. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

* 2 Paras

* 2 Parasect  <-- Stage 1 supporter adds damage to confused pokemon during checkup

The Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Computer Search  <-- ACE SPEC

Balls to help get Pokemon setup

* 1 Cherish Ball  <-- could be swapped out for another tool or stadium, basically acting like a 5th incense but only good for Venomoth-GX

* 2 Level Ball

* 2 Nest Ball  <-- could be swapped for level balls so you're not forced to put pokemon right on the bench

* 4 Evolution Incense

* 4 Random Receiver  <-- guarantees a supporter if there are any in your deck.

* 3 Pokégear 3.0  <-- only looks at the top 7 for supporters but this deck's reliance on supporters makes them a useful addition

* 4 VS Seeker  <-- expanded staple to reuse supporters from the discard

The Supporters - Very few supporters to ensure you get the right ones.
* 4 Janine   <-- weak draw card but is important for Venomoth's  defense
* 4 Koga's Trap  <-- Poison & Confuse plus bumps Venomoth's attack to 200
* 2 Guzma & Hala <-- To get stadium, tool and special energy

* 2 Virbank City Gym <-- stadium increases poison damage

* 2 Weakness Policy  <-- TOOL ; Muscle band would be a good swap for increased damage

* 2 Professor's Letter <---  to get basic energy

##Energy - 11

* 6 Grass Energy
* 4 Double Colorless Energy
* 1 Aromatic {G} Energy VIV 162 <-- special condition defense (I only have 1, could swap some basic energy for more if you have them)

Posted (edited)

Played a few more matches on the ladder. Janine defense works good when applicable, walled a Reshizard and several Vs.

The current setup has a damage potential of 270(with both Parasects on the bench) which I was able to achieve several times,

muscle bands would bring it up to 290.

This list lacks pivot or gusting options but managed ok by retreating when needed and/or using the Janine wall.

Guzma & Hala have come in handy a few times but have not been critical so could probably be swapped for Boss's Orders, Marnies or a good draw card without reducing the overall effectiveness.

Early use of the GX attack for setting up seems to be the way to go.

Edited by Yeesterbunny
correcting errors

A problem I just encountered with this deck is if the opponent's active pokemon is immune to special conditions, the game won't let you play Koga's Trap so you can't get the 200 damage.

Well, not a very large sample size but if the stats are meaningful to you it's

13 wins out of 16 games (since edit - before edit there was several rounds of "test deck" which shouldn't be counted on stats but are).