Marshadow/Machamp-GX and SS Urshifu VMAX interaction

FINCE

Hello!

I experienced a weird interaction between Marshadow/Machamp-GX and SS Urshifu. During the game, Marshchamp got its GX move "Acme of Heroism" up along with the bonus attack passive. Upon taking my turn, I used G-Max one blow with the intent of bypassing my opponent's attack effect. Despite this, Marshchamp proceeded to revive after the attack leading to getting a counter-knockout. There was no other ability in play to prevent the knockout besides Marschamp's GX effect.

I'm wondering if this is an exception to the interaction, since I would assume the GX effect would be overrided by Urshifu's attack given that SS Urshifu bypasses other GX aura effects such as LucMetal.

Thank you so much for any possible clarification to the rules and have a great rest of your day!

Chasista

It's the Damage what is prevented from effects, but not other effects.

"Discard all Energy from this Pokémon. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon."

So as long as you 270 damaged the MarsChamp, all is working as intended.

If Golisopod GX  would have Armor press, for a -20 damage ( https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/sm-series/sma/SV48/ ), your G-Max would have done 270 anyway, and not 250. If anything in bench or a stadium would lower the received Damage, yet 270. If (insert whatever for damage) the damage, yet 270.

But the effect placed in MarsChamp is not a damage variation. It's a different effect that comes into play if they would be KOed, which is the case, so they stay with 10HP.

• Upvote 1
FINCE

Thank you for the reply friend!

I got confused by this since I watched a video from Slowpoke Well(?) wherein SS Urshifu bypassed the damage reduction by Stone Energy. I put two and two together and thought the interaction will work the same way (but he did mention this may be a glitch). I appreciate the clarification and I learned something new today.

Best regards

• Like 1
Chasista

No problem, glad I got and understandable explanation.

As you said above, Stone nergy applies a "damage reduction" so G-Max Damage is not affected. Same with LucMetal, which it's a damage reduction as well.

But other effects, like: "if this pokémon is damaged by an opponent's attack, even if KOed, the attacking pokémon is Confused" would apply (as they are not related with damage variations).

The reading in cards it's everything, and yet sometimes is not clear enough.

Have fun!