Thoughts on Tag Teams

Charivari_

Am I the only one that doesn't mind tag team Pokémon as much as others. I only started playing the tcg at the beginning of the Sword and Shield era so I've only played a couple of tag team decks but for the most part when playing against most tag teams I typically see them as a disadvantage for my opponent when they enter the bench and nothing more than a free 3 prizes. It could be that I think this because I tend to use decks focused on higher damage output but I've never felt like they were ridiculously overpowered (except ADP). I can understand disliking VMAX Pokémon as their HP can get insanely high like coalossal VMAX. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether you're excited or not for their imminent demise during rotation.

• Upvote 1
darkness018
10 minutes ago, Charivari_ said:

Am I the only one that doesn't mind tag team Pokémon as much as others. I only started playing the tcg at the beginning of the Sword and Shield era so I've only played a couple of tag team decks but for the most part when playing against most tag teams I typically see them as a disadvantage for my opponent when they enter the bench and nothing more than a free 3 prizes. It could be that I think this because I tend to use decks focused on higher damage output but I've never felt like they were ridiculously overpowered (except ADP). I can understand disliking VMAX Pokémon as their HP can get insanely high like coalossal VMAX. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether you're excited or not for their imminent demise during rotation.

I personally can’t wait until they rotate out I’m tired of seeing adp and pikarom and I’m wondering what people that only plays those decks is going to do after the rotation vmaxs are easily countered 

Radruby317

I think some are good, but most are, like you said, a free 3 prizes. The good ones are also way to good (cough, Reshizard, cough), and some just have too good effects (cough, Blastpup, cough). I play expanded though, so RIP my skill because someone with any decent pikarom deck just destroys you most of the time. Like, strategy and good card combinations, what hierarchy is this?

HankBBQ
6 hours ago, Charivari_ said:

when they enter the bench and nothing more than a free 3 prizes

disagree. for example, adp-gx and reshizard-gx are more like a free win for your opponent rather than you.

6 hours ago, Charivari_ said:

I can understand disliking VMAX

i think that its understandable, as although they have high hp, they give 3 prizes, and also its an evolution pokemon which means they cant evolve on turn 1(although it would be nice to have a rule for vmax evolution like mega evolution rule)

6 hours ago, darkness018 said:

I personally can’t wait until they rotate out I’m tired of seeing adp and pikarom and I’m wondering what people that only plays those decks is going to do after the rotation vmaxs are easily countered 

pikarom works just fine in expanded... and for adp/z it just means that theyll need to be lucky that their opponent dont have any pokemon ranger in their deck

5 hours ago, Radruby317 said:

I think some are good, but most are, like you said, a free 3 prizes. The good ones are also way to good (cough, Reshizard, cough), and some just have too good effects (cough, Blastpup, cough). I play expanded though, so RIP my skill because someone with any decent pikarom deck just destroys you most of the time. Like, strategy and good card combinations, what hierarchy is this?

agreed. i think most tag teams are nice(cough, blastpup, a-exeg+rowlet, reshizard, adp, lucametal, pikarom, cough), its just a selected few that sucks

but still they are still counterable, especially in expanded

• Upvote 1
Otakutron

The only reason I "mind" gimmicks mechanics like TAG TEAM Pokémon are because the powers-that-be don't have the fundamental mechanics of the game well-balanced.  What do I mean?

Everyone has their favorite Pokémon.  Most of us like several different Pokémon.  Well, it stinks when your favorite is all but guaranteed to be bad because it is [insert type] when [insert type] is clearly at a disadvantage in the metagame.  Or when it is [insert Stage] but everyone knows [insert Stage] is bad.  So one would hope the general design philosophy for the Pokémon TCG would be:

• All types being more or less on even footing.  Yeah, some might be better than others, but there wouldn't be any types that were automatically "bad".  Some a bit better, some a bit worse, but not that far apart.
  • All fully evolved Pokémon being more or less on even footing.  Yeah, some Stages might be better than others, but there wouldn't be any Stage that were automatically "bad".  Some a bit better, some a bit worse, but not that far apart.
  • Streamlined rules.  The short version is I get why there are no T1 attacks or Supporters but it ignores the underlying issue with game balance.

Getting back on topic, those underlying issues are why certain TAG TEAM Pokémon champs while others are chumps.  Just like with all the cards, the best of the best make up the core metagame, the best of the rest are the fringes, but I'd guesstimate around 80% of the card pool (sans reprints) is filler.