My water deck is bad and I should feel bad

Mos_Quitoxe

This is like, the first Standard deck i made Online and it doesn't measure up and never has. Can't even beat fire decks (but honestly, what can?)

##Pokémon - 13

* 1 Keldeo-GX UNM 47
* 1 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Lapras UNM 36
* 1 Magikarp & Wailord-GX PR-SM 166
* 2 Squirtle TEU 22
* 1 Squirtle UNB 33
* 1 Wartortle TEU 24
* 2 Wartortle UNB 34
* 2 Blastoise TEU 25
* 1 Blastoise-GX PR-SM 189

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Nessa VIV 157
* 2 Viridian Forest TEU 156
* 1 Marnie SSH 169
* 1 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 2 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 2 Janine UNB 176
* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198
* 1 Erika's Hospitality TEU 140
* 2 Bede SSH 199
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady GEN 68
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 2 Misty's Favor UNM 202
* 2 Switch BCR 135
* 2 Capacious Bucket RCL 156
* 2 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

##Energy - 18

* 15 Water Energy Energy 3
* 1 Draw Energy CEC 209
* 2 Wash {W} Energy VIV 165

Any suggestions for improvements (especially in increasing speed) are greatly appreciated.

Chasista

Hi

We would start reducing energy count, to add more trainers. That will give more search and speed. There's not too much good in Standard for Water, as seen with fire ruling a big piece of the Meta.

You need some staple trainers too: P Research, Marnie, Boss's orders. And more Balls. Reduce the Wartortle count and add Rare candy. Also remove healing, don't use to worth.

Kyogre doesn't worth. Could be the Starter, but then you need 3 or 4. Anyway, no plan to have energies in discard at the start. You only have 2 Quick.

Misty is a bad supporter, same as Bede and Janine. Use items in their place. No Misty makes Lapras useless.

MagikLord it's very hard to setup, and damage output is not too big.

I'd reinforce the Blastoise lines 4-1-2/2 if possible.

Also, check Frosmoth as Engine to setup.

Lapras V/VM is cheap. Not Meta but can work.

• Like 1
HankBBQ

Of course it can't beat fire in the every-card-a-titan era of PTCGO.

1) Magilord cant do much without energy accel, which is done by Blastoise in your deck. However, 3-3-2 Blastoise just doesn't work. Do something like 3-1-3 or 4-1-4 or 4-2-4 or 4-2-3 with rare candy.

2) If you are determined for this to be a block deck against GX, add more Keldeo. But if you really want a block deck, you need to consider V as well.

3) Otherwise, add some big attackers like Blastoise V/VMAX, which is more efficient than Magilord(both takes 3 prizes, but blastoise hits for 220+30+30 for 4 energy, whereas Magilord takes 5 energies for 180. It's almost impossible to add 7 energy to Magikarp before its KO-ed.

4) Maybe aqua patch can help? 

5) More draw+refresh supporters like Cynthia  and the Professors

6) More switch since I think most of your pokemon is high retreat cost, or add Float Stone

• Upvote 1
Mos_Quitoxe

I have removed the UNM lapras, 2 viridian forests, 2 misty's favours, and 2 water energy, and added Lapras V and VMAX, 1 Empoleon V, 1 more marnie, 1 more pokemon communication, and 2 level balls. I shall see how these fare before changing anything else.

I should note that this is standard so no float stones for me :(

And I know Magilord is useless but I made this deck for them, i can't get rid of my baby boy! I shall simply have to hope that one day I'll fight an eternatus deck that fills the bench with chod instead of titans ; **

HankBBQ
13 hours ago, Mos_Quitoxe said:

I have removed the UNM lapras, 2 viridian forests, 2 misty's favours, and 2 water energy, and added Lapras V and VMAX, 1 Empoleon V, 1 more marnie, 1 more pokemon communication, and 2 level balls. I shall see how these fare before changing anything else.

I should note that this is standard so no float stones for me :(

And I know Magilord is useless but I made this deck for them, i can't get rid of my baby boy! I shall simply have to hope that one day I'll fight an eternatus deck that fills the bench with chod instead of titans ; **

the whole point is to make your deck better right? if you just wanted to keep the magilord, why bother asking?

anyways "hoping for a eternatus deck" isnt gonna work. I think that even eter is getting replaced in the meta slowly

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
sj_pokeboy

I built my deck based on Water Pokemon centered on Greninja and Oshowatt. I tried the Deck Wizard but that deck wasn't supplying me with enough energy versus Pokemon. So I built it and won my first match. However, what was funny was my opponent was doing something and it was still his turn but I ended up beating him. It was strange.

Chasista

Welcome SJ.

Opponent surrender. It happens all the time when anyone see there's no point to play more as it's a non winnable game for any reason. No hurting in conceding so it's normal to concede and move on to try to win the next game.

The Deck wizard it's probably the worst feature in the game. Never use it. It makes horrible decks of 20 Pokémon, 20 Trainers and 20 energies. And adds a ton of useless cards for the deck, as an example, just tried some water deck and even surprisingly doing a not bad at all job with pokémon as it copied a Theme deck (I picked Blastoise so game copied Torrential cannon with Pidgeotto engine which is pretty playable), but don't do that all the time. Anyway, it added a ton of useless trainers like: Burning scarf (only for fire pokémon and I have none), Karate belt (same but Fighting), Cara Liss (Fossils), Wyndon stadium (VMax), Electrocharger (while no Electropower in deck), Beast bringer (no Ultra beasts)... Ridiculous.

Also hearing with 20 you had no enough energies makes me think you go just in the opposite but the Competitive direction in deckbuilding, which it's normal at the start. Trainers are the most important part of any deck, so you can see Deck wizard adding useless trainers it's even worst than anyone could think. A competitive deck structure looks like 9 to 14 pokémon, 30 to 36 trainers and 7 to 14 energies, being 14 a huge number usually reserved for fire decks that use to need 3 to 4 to setup and they discard with attacks. There is no point in having more than 16 energies in any deck in the world (but some "fun" decks like Typhlosion or the upcoming Flareon VMax or Gyarados that hit 80x or 100x "discard 5 cards" or 30+30x "discard 7" and for every discarded energy that's the damage output). A world apart.

Back to point, I encourage you to create your own thread, show your deck (Export from the game Deck manager) and you'll receive a lot of free advise about how to improve it. Certainly a strong way to get advantage over your present opponents and start knowing the "secrets" to master the game from experienced trainers.

sj_pokeboy

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I definitely will show my deck list. 

• Like 1