A darkness deck build

nelus4blood

I made this darkness mono type deck and i wanted the opinion from all of you guys, the deck on it’s own is quite the nasty one, and i want to know what you guys think about it, since i like to share this build so that others can enjoy this deck too!

Da: darknes ablaze
Swsh base: sword and shield base set
Cp: champion’s path
Rc: rebel clash

18x darkness energy
1x (da) hiding darkness energy 
2x (swsh base) galarian obstagoon
2x (swsh base) sableye v
1x (da) galarian slowbro v
1x (da) eternatus v
3x (cp) scraggy
3x (cp) g. Zigzagoon 
1x (swsh base) g. Zigzagoon 
2x (cp) purrlion
1x (swsh base) croagunk
1x (swsh base) skorupi
3x (cp) scrafty
1x (swsh base) toxictoak
1x(swsh base) galarian linoone
1x (cp) galarian linoone
1x (cp) liepard
4x (cp) trainer piers 
2x (cp) trainer milo
3x (swsh base) trainer pokemon center lady
2x (rc) trainer boss’s order
2x (swsh base) trainer switch
2x (swsh base) trainer bede
1x (swsh base) trainer marnie
1x (swsh base) trainer energy retrieval
1x (swsh base) trainer team  yell grunt

This deck is made with the cards i have (the only swsh base set g. Zigzagoon is the only ziggy i pulled from 39 swsh base set boosters, even if it’s my favorite mon, my luck is bad when i wanted to pull him so bad 😅, so champion’s path ziggy is the sole solution i got left)

this deck has a lot of nasty suprises:

obstagoon’s “obstruct” & sableye v’s “crazy claws” are for keeping v cards in check and good for end game sweeping

The scrafty and piers trainer combo for masive damage 

And eternatus v is good for dealing with vmax cards

So, what do you guys think?

Edited by nelus4blood
Typos
  • Upvote 1

Welcome..

This looks as a starter deck, let's go.

To start, these are the official acronyms for sets:

Sword and shield SSH

Rebel clash RCL

Darkness ablaze DAA

Champions patch CPA

You don't need to know by heart but it's easier if we all write the same thing ;)  It's quite difficult to check the above deck looking card by card as it is now. Exporting the deck from game Deck manager (edition screen, up right 1st icon, a box with an arrow) will copy the decklist to the clipboard with set and number of every card. Then you only need to paste (Control+V) in any text editor or here in forums like the next,

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 4
* 1 Galarian Darmanitan DAA 28
* 1 Galarian Darumaka RCL 47
* 1 Galarian Darumaka DAA 43
* 1 Galarian Darmanitan DAA 44

##Trainer Cards - 4
* 1 Cheryl BST 123
* 1 Energy Recycler BST 124
* 1 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Professor's Research SSH 201

##Energy - 3
* 1 Capture Energy RCL 171
* 1 Fire Energy GEN 76
* 1 Water Energy HS 117

Total Cards - 11

Also you'll avoid problems with the lists, as your above list is 61 cards. Any typing miscue? Of course if you're an IRL player, forget everything, although the Online client is a huge tool to check decks and make changes without spending money, and test a lot of games fast and against all kind of opponents. Very recommendable.

Here on, 19 energies are way too much. Energies use to be 8/12 in most decks. Up to 14/16 in fire decks that use to need 3/4 for each attack and they discard a lot. For darkness 9/12 should theoretically work if the deck is well constructed.

21 pokémon is savage too. 

On the other side, 19 trainers is as low as the deck wont flow. Forget anything you have seen in Theme decks as go with 15 Pokémon/30 trainers/15 energies. More or less.

Also you need 3/4 copies of the main attacker and most of trainers, and 2/3 copies of support pokémon. The 1 offs might be left for some extra Techs or "just in case" cards.

Again talking about the online game, you should start doing the Trainers challenge with the Theme decks, getting a fourth Theme (mainly Relentless flame) to beat all 36 trainers 4 stars and obtain the ~500 coins and 48 packs rewarded for completing, get another Theme deck like: Charizard/Soaring storm/Laser focus/Towering heights. Play 12 games in Trainer challenge with it to get a free pack. Go play the Versus ladder Theme mode with one of that decks, get tokens for more Theme...  and you'll be increasing your pool of cards considerably, ready to build a custom. BTW, Expanded is way easier to start than Standard. Also you own more Staple Expanded cards in collection at the beginning than Standard's.

Once you master your Theme and know it can win to any other, go to Events to get tradeable packs, and trade packs for the pokémon you look for in the ingame Market. That's easier and faster way to get the cards you need.

As for the open packs, IDK if they are locked from the in game shop, but starting you'd get more revenues getting Them decks for their trainers and some pokémon. Some budget decks can be built buying 2 of same Theme and removing the useless parts to swap some staple trainers in. IF packs are from codes, keep them to trade.Opening it's fun and you can get anything but the wise move is to save tradeable packs for trade.

Any competitive custom deck is made choosing the cards and then trading for them. Build anything with "what I have in collection" will become a patched deck, unless you already have at least, most of the staple trainers to make any deck work.

If you can bring your list here in game shape, well take a closer look. Either way fast thoughts: Skorupi is completely useless. Removing would left you in 60 cards ;) Toxicroak 3 energies is too much for 70 damage only. OK, poison, but with flip coin. We don't like flip coins as luck is involved. Liepard looks the same, 90 for 3 energies low output. Both 1/1 line are very short. to find them at time and if one part is prized, is a dead evolution line (that's why we 2 or more of each are added). Scrafty at least may be180, that worth.

You'd need some kind of energy acceleration, although Bede is nice. Not for this deck but combos like DAA Hydreigon (check ability) with Sonia, Energy spinner (over Energy search), Energy retrieval, Turbo patch (although flip coins...) or some Tool like Exp share too, can work.

The Obstagoon line is good but you're missing 3/4 rare candies. Scoop up net might be very useful to stall with nothing in bench that would reset the effect of the attack.

Center lady are not competitive. There are too much 1HKOs in the game as to heal anything most of the time. Apart from missing around +12 trainers, you have almost no item cards. Happily you can get a lot of space from energies.

If you really want to play standard I'd try to build something like the next. This use to go with 4 Jirachi TEU and 4 Rosa, but these are quite expensive cards so I made some fast budget changes. Yet I think might work and the rest don't seem to be very expensive or difficult to get.

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 13
* 1 Galarian Slowbro V DAA 99
* 4 **********igzagoon SSH 117
* 1 Sableye V SSH 120
* 1 Umbreon & Darkrai-GX UNM 125
* 1 Galarian Linoone SSH 118
* 4 Galarian Obstagoon SSH 119
* 1 Mew UNB 76

##Trainer Cards - 38
* 1 Nanu TEU 150
* 1 Black Market {*} TEU 134
* 3 Piers DAA 165
* 1 Skyla RCL 166
* 2 Professor's Research SSH 209
* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Switch SUM 160
* 4 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 4 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 2 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 3 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 215
* 1 Dangerous Drill TEU 138
* 2 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189
* 1 Chaotic Swell CEC 187

##Energy - 9
* 9 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

Sorry for the whole answer being a bit messy, I'm on multitask.

Have fun!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for replying Chasista

actually i’m a irl player, and I greatly appreciate and value your advice

(i’ll copy paste it in my notes on my phone)

I personally like making decks with swsh era cards, since in tournaments, there will be a time that older era sets aren’t valid anymore.

i’m honored that you thought it was a theme deck, since I don’t buy theme decks (i’m one of those people who only buy etb’s)

and for the 61 cards,

There is probably a typo somewhere, since my deck is 60cards, i’ll check it when i’m back home

and your advice isn’t messy, it’s clear and to the point and giving me new insights I haven’t thought about

i’ll take this kind advice with me for brainstorming for a better darkness deck

thank you for giving me advice and

have a nice day sir!

Edited by nelus4blood
  • Like 1

So, here i go trying to see if i did it a bit better:

18 darkness energies

1 hiding darkness energy DAA 175

(19 energies in total)

3 g. Obstagoon SSH 119

1 g. Linoone SSH 118

2 g. Linoone CPA 36

1 g. Zigzagoon SSH 117

2 g. Zigzagoon CPA 35

3 Scraggy CPA 41

2 Scrafty CPA 42

2 Sableye V SSH 120

1 eternatus V DAA 116

1 g. Slowbro V DAA 99

(18 pokemons in total)

4 piers CPA 58

2 scoop up net RCL 165

3 rare candy SSH 180

2 bede SSH 157

1 boss’s orders RCL 154

2 switch SSH 183

2 rotom phone CPA 

1 energy retrieval SSH 160

1 team yell grunt SSH 184

1 marnie SSH 169

1 energy search SSH 161

2 rotom bike SSH 181

1 turbo patch DAA 172

(23 trainers in total)

i tried my best with all my cards i own for this irl deck (I don’t play online 😅 I usually give the code cards to a friend of mine)

but can someone give me some advice on my revised darkness deck?

I’ve toned down the pokemons a bit, and upped the trainers too.

with more item trainer cards as i was adviced, but I couldn’t down the energy count because i lack the necessary item trainer cards.

Edited by nelus4blood

Ok, general guideline is to have around 13 at most energy and around 11 Pokémon. You want the rest of the deck to be trainer cards because these will guide you through the game. Now for format when listing Pokémon cards you want to do it like this:
## Pokémon (2)

* 1(number of the card) Lucario (The card name)  UPR 67

* 1 Riolu UPR 66

## Trainers (1)

* 1 Evolution Incense SSH 163

## Energy (2)

* 2 SWSH Darkness Energy 7

Total cards - 5

Or if you play the PTCGO then you can click the Export Deck button in the save deck screen. 

Hope this helps 🙃

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the advice betastagoon

i posted mostly here for getting a better playable deck with advice of others

Like i said a couple of times, I don’t play the tcg online, and since I don’t have such a big collection, i’ll try to do as much as i can with the cards i have.

sadly i couldn’t get any better then i made the revision at this time.

but with more cards in the future i’ll try to change it as much as i can

thanks for taking time for replying and giving advice!

OK, here is a deck list for you to try out,

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Deino DAA 108
* 2 **********igzagoon SSH 117
* 1 Sableye V SSH 120
* 2 Scraggy CPA 41
* 1 Scrafty CPA 42
* 1 Zweilous DAA 109
* 2 Galarian Obstagoon SSH 119
* 2 Hydreigon DAA 110

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 3 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 3 Great Ball SSH 164
* 2 Marnie SSH 169
* 4 Piers DAA 165
* 2 Pokégear 3.0 SSH 174
* 2 Pokémon Breeder's Nurturing DAA 166
* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 3 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Rare Candy SSH 180
* 3 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 2 Team Yell Grunt SSH 184
* 3 Turbo Patch DAA 172

##Energy - 12

* 10 Darkness Energy SWSHEnergy 7
* 2 Hiding {D} Energy DAA 175

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I made it budget and out of the sets you used,

Maybe this is better:D

I removed 1 energy to make room for a Boss's orders. First list you had 2 so it's better.

2 hours ago, nelus4blood said:

So, here i go trying to see if i did it a bit better:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 **********igzagoon SSH 117

* 2 **********igzagoon CPA 35

* 1 Galarian Linoone SSH 118

* 2 Galarian Linoone CPA 36

* 3 Galarian Obstagoon SSH 119
* 2 Sableye V SSH 120
* 3 Scraggy CPA 41
* 2 Scrafty CPA 42   

* 1 Galarian Slowbro V DAA 99

* 1 Eternatus V DAA 116

##Trainer Cards - 24
* 1 Energy Search SSH 161
* 1 Energy Retrieval SSH 160
* 1 Marnie SSH 169
* 2 Rotom Phone CPA 64
* 2 Rotom Bike SSH 181
* 4 Piers CPA 58
* 2 Scoop Up Net RCL 165

* 1 Team Yell Grunt SSH 184
* 2 Bede SSH 157
* 1 Turbo Patch DAA 172
* 2 Switch SSH 183
* 3 Rare Candy SSH 180

##Energy - 18
* 17 Darkness Energy HS 121
* 1 Hiding {D} Energy DAA 175

Total Cards - 60

I know you're IRL player and budget is important. But same as Online decks are made trading for the cards you need, IRL it's same trading, pulling or buying.

Red is to remove

Orange is meh

Green is OK

Blue, too god that you need more

Galarian Linoone. If you play 4 Rare candy, just one Stage one is commonly needed to play the deck, although two it's also an option. Never more. Your goal it's the highest stage and you don't plan to attack with the´basic or intermediate pokémon. As for the Zigzagoon, SSH and CPA have both 100HP BUT, one has 1 retreat cost and the other has 2. Big difference so choose the best for you.

Eternatus V. Sorry to say but it's a bad pokémon. The extremely good one is the VMax (up 270 damage for 2 energies). Very hard to charge unless tons of energy acceleration.

Energy search is not a big thing. However, if you want some energy search item, Energy spinner is better than E search. But I'd go with some Sonia, Red & Blue or Viridian forest probably.

Rotom. Phone is useless in a format with Marnie. Bike is bad, end the turn without attacking? Unless it's 1st turn going first, lost game.

Bede is not very good, but if useful for you, go on.

Turbo patch, we don't like flip coins, that's lcuk and we want control.

Galarian Obstagoon + Boss's orders: This is a good combo. Add more.

Marnie 3 or 4 are in any competitive deck. (Same as Professor research)

Yet too much energies, low trainers count, no stadiums. You did some changes from the first list with my advice, more to come to improve :)