Ace Spec Luck

bpf99

Hi everyone.

Lately I've been buying b&w boundaries crossed packs for a computer search, and I wanted to know what the average chance rate is. I'm reasonably sure this is insane luck, but on my sixth pack that I opened just now, I pulled a computer search! However, I want dowsing machine and master ball too, so should I continue buying packs from the set they're from or just try and save to trade for them?

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

The rate is roughly one in every 16 packs, so getting it by the 6th is awesome! I've been trying to trade for a scramble switch for a few days and gotten nowhere, so it might be worth it to just keep trying to pull it if you've got the coins.

4 hours ago, bpf99 said:

Hi everyone.

Lately I've been buying b&w boundaries crossed packs for a computer search, and I wanted to know what the average chance rate is. I'm reasonably sure this is insane luck, but on my sixth pack that I opened just now, I pulled a computer search! However, I want dowsing machine and master ball too, so should I continue buying packs from the set they're from or just try and save to trade for them?

Thanks for any help!

How much do you know about trading in general?

If you keep saving up packs with decent trade value, I don't think it would be too hard to trade for Master Ball.  Keep in mind, prices fluctuate, so this is like a two week project if you don't want to pay through the nose.  If you need more explaining than that about trading, let me know.

Because I might need it for future reference anyway, so I may as well post it now, I will take a moment to point out the hierarchy of Ace Specs.  Going from best to worst, it is something resembling:

1. Computer Search
  2. Dowsing Machine
  3. Scoop Up Cyclone
  4. Life Dew
  5. Scramble Switch
  6. Master Ball
  7. Rock Guard
  8. Gold Potion
  9. G Booster
  10. G Scope
  11. Crystal Wall
  12. Crystal Edge
  13. Victory Piece

Again, I said resembling: all of this is open to debate.  I'm very confident, though, that Computer Search and Dowsing Machine are where I say they belong, but third through fifth are interchangeable.  Sixth through eighth place might be interchangeable as well.  In the PTCGO, 9th place still stands out from the rest because of the Legacy Format, but I don't think even that Format can make tenth through 13th particularly meaningful.

I’d say I know some stuff but not too much about training, as I’m a newer trainer in online.

I generally don’t have the patience to save up packs, and I’m not great at tournaments, other than theme, and those take forever.

Is the point of scoop up cyclone to heal? I’ve never understood the point of it over computer search except in decks where you can spam “when played” abilities.

10 hours ago, Otakutron said:

How much do you know about trading in general?

If you keep saving up packs with decent trade value, I don't think it would be too hard to trade for Master Ball.  Keep in mind, prices fluctuate, so this is like a two week project if you don't want to pay through the nose.  If you need more explaining than that about trading, let me know.

Because I might need it for future reference anyway, so I may as well post it now, I will take a moment to point out the hierarchy of Ace Specs.  Going from best to worst, it is something resembling:

1. Computer Search
  2. Dowsing Machine
  3. Scoop Up Cyclone
  4. Life Dew
  5. Scramble Switch
  6. Master Ball
  7. Rock Guard
  8. Gold Potion
  9. G Booster
  10. G Scope
  11. Crystal Wall
  12. Crystal Edge
  13. Victory Piece

Again, I said resembling: all of this is open to debate.  I'm very confident, though, that Computer Search and Dowsing Machine are where I say they belong, but third through fifth are interchangeable.  Sixth through eighth place might be interchangeable as well.  In the PTCGO, 9th place still stands out from the rest because of the Legacy Format, but I don't think even that Format can make tenth through 13th particularly meaningful.

49 minutes ago, bpf99 said:

Is the point of scoop up cyclone to heal? I’ve never understood the point of it over computer search except in decks where you can spam “when played” abilities.

First of all, yes, when played abilities are the major reason why the card is put in decks over Computer Search but there are other reasons (some of which have to do with when played abilities):

• It was the only 100% reliable Scoop Up Item card until Scoop Up Net came out. Now it's the only reliable Scoop Up card for also scooping up EXs in Expanded
  • It is the only 100% reliable Scoop Up Item card in Legacy
  • It is used in decks which have a lot of cards without a function on the battlefield (Propagate Exeggcute for example)
  • It can function as a heal, a status remover, a switch card and also a devolution card, making it rather versatile
  • It can also help you winning prize trade-offs by removing your 2- or 3-prizers before your opponent can knock them out
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bpf99 said:

I generally don’t have the patience to save up packs, and I’m not great at tournaments, other than theme, and those take forever.

That is unfortunate, at least if you're a free-to-player like me.  If you're someone who regularly buys new product, so that you'll have a steady flow of Redemption Codes (and the packs they grant), you'll probably be okay.  This is not me criticizing you, just letting your know you might be in for a rough ride.

I will ask, just to be sure: for the Theme Format, you have one of the relatively recent, competitive Theme Decks, right?  I apologize if it sounds insultingly obvious, but you'd be surprised how many folks rush ahead and wonder why they're getting their bottoms kicked with an Expanded Format deck cobbled together from the freebie cards the game starts you with, and whatever recent pulls they've managed.  Like, they even skip the Trainer Challenge entirely. XP  I know this probably doesn't apply to you, but like when TecH support asks you to make sure your computer is plugged in... yeah, gotta be done. ^^'

4 hours ago, bpf99 said:

You answered your own question. :)  As @OelBoy said, the point of Scoop Up Cyclone is to be a reliable Trainer-Item to bounce your own Pokémon, either to fake healing them, to reuse coming-into-play Abilities, or both.  Preferably that last one.  That is a very, very good effect!  Perhaps I am showing my age, in that it probably seems less impressive now given we have Acerola and AZ, but decks that like to spam coming-into-play Abilities still like being able to bounce twice in a single turn.

Now, is that better than Computer Search?  Not in the majority of decks, but in a few.  The thing is, Computer Search is usually the best choice.  That is why it - according to the website I'm using - its the most valuable Ace Spec by some margin.  I'm not talking on the PTCGO, either, but a pricing website for the physical cards.  Rounding to the nearest USD, the prices are:

$50 - Computer Search

$28 - Dowsing Machine

$14 - Life Dew

$14 - Scramble Switch

$12 - Master Ball

$08 - Scoop Up Cyclone

$06 - Rock Guard

$05 - Gold Potion

$01 - G Booster

$01 - G Scope

$01 - Crystal Wall

$01 - Crystal Edge

$01 - Victory Piece

Yeah, this differs from my list.  I used some discretion, though I probably let outdated past experiences factor in too much.  If Dowsing Machine recycled anything and not just Trainers, then perhaps it would be the equal, opposite of Computer Search.  Life Dew and Scramble Switch are handy tricks, with the former being one of the few Ace Specs that aren't too difficult to recycle.  Master Ball is probably better than I thought because it simply amounts to a 5th Ultra Ball without the discard cost... or just replacing an Ultra Ball if you're running fewer than four.

Things got weird for Scoop Up Cyclone, which is probably why I overvalue it.  Rock Guard and Gold Potion are also better than no Ace Spec, but timing issues can make them more difficult to properly utilize.  The bottom five are Pokémon-specific; G-Booster is good in Legacy, but that doesn't exist outside of the PTCGO.  So these cards are a little above or below $1 in value.

Edited by Otakutron

2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

That is unfortunate, at least if you're a free-to-player like me.  If you're someone who regularly buys new product, so that you'll have a steady flow of Redemption Codes (and the packs they grant), you'll probably be okay.  This is not me criticizing you, just letting your know you might be in for a rough ride.

Yea I know... I’ve tried to tell myself that lol.

2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

I will ask, just to be sure: for the Theme Format, you have one of the relatively recent, competitive Theme Decks, right?  I apologize if it sounds insultingly obvious, but you'd be surprised how many folks rush ahead and wonder why they're getting their bottoms kicked with an Expanded Format deck cobbled together from the freebie cards the game starts you with, and whatever recent pulls they've managed. 

Yes I use relentless flame, and I’ve gotten 3/3 first places in theme tourneys.

For expanded, I’m working on a fairy deck right now, but I already have a pretty solid fire deck that chasista helped me out with.

For the two expanded tournaments I’ve entered, I lost on the first turn both times to a mad party deck, and then a no energy pokemon tool ninetales deck. I think it’s just bad luck starting with one basic, as I have several in the deck in addition to trainers like nest ball.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1