HELP!

Radruby317

I need help understanding trainer cards. I know what they are, how to use them, and all the basics, but I need help with knowing which ones are actually good. 

I'm going to assume you mean standard. Professor's Research is good since it discards your hand and draws you 7 new cards. Bruno is also a must for 1 prize card decks since it's like professor's research but instead of discarding it shuffles it back then draws 7 only if your pokemon was knocked out during your opponents last turn. Marnie is good too since it makes your opponent shuffle their hand back and only draw 4 cards. Channeler is also an uncommon but good card for getting rid of those bad effects like discarding energy after using a move or discarding top 4 cards of your deck etc.. What I mean to say is it can get rid of those negative effects after using a move. Welder is a must for most fire type decks since it adds 2 energy from your hand to your pokemon with a added bonus of drawing 3 extra cards. For a charizard VIV deck you want Leon since for every Leon in discard pile you get plus 50 damage plus if you use Leon you get plus 30 damage for your attacks for the turn. Boss's Orders is needed since it swaps your opponents active pokemon with their bench helping you pray on those weak V or GX cards. Team Yell Grunt is also pretty good since your opponent has to waste a turn placing energy on the pokemon you removed from instead of using it to set up their other pokemon. Nessa is pretty good for water decks since it allows to draw any combination of water energy and pokemon to your hand. Red & Blue is a really good must for evolution GX since it finds the card, evolve the pokemon, and with a few extra requirements attach some energy to it too to make it ready to go. Mallow & Lana is needed when you have those big prize card pokemon you need to heal so it moves to the bench and heals 120 damage from it for the cost of discarding 2 cards from your hand. Cynthia & Caitlin is good for when you need to reuse a trainer card. 

There are lots more but they also need to be used or not used depending on the deck so whatever works for you and your deck is what you should use.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Radruby317 said:

I need help understanding trainer cards. I know what they are, how to use them, and all the basics, but I need help with knowing which ones are actually good. 

Most cards are good in its own way. So it will depend on your deck strategy to decide which one is good.

However, there are some cards that are bad. Well, its not really bad by itself but there other cards that share the same function which are better with its side effects. These usually common in Expanded and Legacy formats.

Try Post your deck so other can tell which cards are good for your deck.

I play in expanded and my favorite trainers right now are cynthia, brocks grit, ultra and great balls, hop/tierno/hau/cheren, lysandre (because i dont have Boss's Orders), lady (the one that searches 4 basic energy, 1 or 2 of those give you all the energy you need for the game), and pokemon center lady, because I hate having status effects on my pokemon.

20 hours ago, Radruby317 said:

I play in expanded and my favorite trainers right now are cynthia, brocks grit, ultra and great balls, hop/tierno/hau/cheren, lysandre (because i dont have Boss's Orders), lady (the one that searches 4 basic energy, 1 or 2 of those give you all the energy you need for the game), and pokemon center lady, because I hate having status effects on my pokemon.

Cynthia: Nice, kinda staple.

Brock: Meh. Use cards like Energy retrieval, Super rod, Rescue stretcher, Energy recycler, Ordinary rod, Energy recycle system and so. Don't let a Supporter make the work an Item can do.

Ultra: Very nice. A staple in the past.

Great: Meh, specially in expanded. Checking what's there in a few cards is way far from "I want this and can get it". Check for Nest ball, Level ball and Evolution incense to aim for anything. If your strategy gets benefit from discarding something, check also Quick ball. Evosoda may work in a lot of decks too.

Hop/tTerno/Hau/Cheren: Kinda worst of the whole game, and I'll add Cilan here, just in case.

Lysandre/Boss: Amazing staple. Check also Guzma just in case.

Lady: Only playable if you have a strategy that allows to add 3 or more energies per turn. If only 2 per turn or no boost, Professor letter is better. Again don't let a Supporter make...

P Center lady: Usually doesn't worth with all the powerful 1HKOs. Switch (combined or not with a free retreater, Guzma and other) can help solve the Special conditions. Also Full heal although potions are not very worthy either.

Big missing staples

N: Draw 6 at the beginning. Can dry opponent's hand if you loosing. And the most important, shuffles the cards your opponent got to hand for next turn or prepared in top of pile to draw the next.

Prof research/Juniper/Sycamore: Discard your hand and draw a fresh new 7. It's the most difficult supporter to understand and start using at the beginning of the game as you always feel you loose resources and something good is in hand you want to keep. Once you start knowing a bit the (competitive) deckbuilding you see how good they are. Thins the deck, gets you 7 new cards if dead hand with potentially what you needed or something to search for it. That's why all the Energy retrieval/R stretcher/Rods I've mentioned, to get some things back. Also having 3/4 copies of each card and not just one or two. Deckbuilding skills arising.

Marnie: Kind of  N, but only to reduce opponent's hand and send hand cards drawn for next turn to the bottom of pile. Good compared to N is you always know you're going to draw 5 and 4 soon or late in game. On the other side you can't leave your opponent with 1 or 2 cards, and if any cards prepared in pile, these are the drawn ones (good for you maybe, but not if opponent did).

Colress: This is actually not so staple, but for certain strategies may draw up to 16 cards (Sky field). 10 in other circumstances. Worth to know.

Pokémon ranger: In expanded, get rid of Arceus & Dialga & Palkia GX attack. Also Lucario & Melmetal's and other.effects set in play.

Karen: Used to be a must when released in late Night March era and after. Mad party seems not hitting as Night march did so probably not needed anymore but yet worth to know exists.

Not supporters

Ace spec: there are 13 in the game from B/W era. So powerful that unless the 99% of other cards, you can have only one in a deck. There's no reason to don't play one in Expanded, ever.

Vs Seeker: The absolutely staple item. Just thinking this being in Standard and the whole game would change. Allows you to re-use discarded Supporters at request and adding 1off "just in case" supporters saving a lot of space.

Not above mentioned interesting items:

Battle compressor: Discard 3 cards at demand. Can combo with Vs seeker and is used in a lot of strategies to recover or sending what you need to Discard (Exxegcute, Night march, Mad party, fire energies for Blacksmith, Grass pokémon with Revitalizer, Metal energies Bronzong and Metal saucer, Naganadel, Psy Malamar, Water and Dark patch and a long etc.). Thins the deck also. All that strategies also benefit from having Ultra ball, Quick ball, Mysterious treasure and other where you want to discard to get advantage of it.

Rare candy: Evolves to Stage 2 from the basic. Needs to be said is good? Saves a turn while jumps over the middle stage which usually is not going to be used to attack or anything. This makes you can build Sandglass shape Basic/Stage1/Stage2 evolutions, 4/1/4, 3/1/3, 2/0/2 and potentially two Stage 2 lines be played (although I wouldn't recommend for other reasons).

Field blower: Discards 2 combined tools/stadiums. Became staple for a while but then the Prism star 💠 stadiums appeared and some game changes made it less played. Yet I find it's a huge card to play existing Chaotic swell and being Garbodor a contender in ruling Expanded. Is the evolved Tool scrapper.

There are a lot more but, enough to investigate and assimilate for a while. Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chasista said:

Brock: Meh. Use cards like Energy retrieval, Super rod, Rescue stretcher, Energy recycler, Ordinary rod, Energy recycle system and so. Don't let a Supporter make the work an Item can do.

The reason I use brock is because it can replenish your deck if your opponent is using cards like Bellebe and Brycen-Man. Also, It's only one card that can do what a bunch of other cards can do all at once, but I'll look into the cards you mentioned. I have been using N right know, the ones I said were just my favorites.

that would be cool if it were possible, but then everyone would use ditto instead of a V card that they don't have.