What Urshifu VMAX deck do you suggest?

vellstone

Hello, everyone!

Thanks to the BST tournament I got 100 tradeable packs and opened around 80 locked ones.

I got 3 Urshifu Single Strike VMAX and 2 ST V on the locked packs, but only 1 houndoom. The VMAXes are the most expensive so I can easily build a Single Strike deck just trading a few packs.

On the other side, I got zero Rapid Strike VMAX and just 1 RS V, but I can get 3 VMAX for around 60 packs and the rest of the deck for the rest of the packs.

I know that the obvious answer is "boy, just build the Single Strike deck" but on the standard queue I rarely see this deck, just the RS / RS Dragapult.

So your opinion: is the Single Strike deck good in the current meta or should I just spend all my packs on the Rapid Strike one?

Thank you!

Soup1900

It really depends on your playing style. Rapid Strike Urshifu VMAX is more spread damage since it does 120 damage to 2 of your opponents pokemon which includes bench which is extremely helpful but Single Strike Urshifu VMAX does damage to your opponents active pokemon like normal but It does way more damage thanks to Single Strike Energy. I would say go single strike since it does more damage and its the only Urshifu VMAX deck I like but like I said it goes up to preference.

Here's my deck list for single strike Urshifu VMAX:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 1 Crobat V DAA 104
* 4 Houndour BST 95
* 1 Tyranitar V BST 97
* 4 Houndoom BST 96
* 4 Single Strike Urshifu V BST 85
* 4 Single Strike Urshifu VMAX BST 86
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 57

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 3 Marnie SSH 169
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Single Strike Scroll of Scorn BST 133
* 2 Tower of Darkness BST 137
* 1 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 4 Urn of Vitality BST 139
* 1 Bruno BST 121
* 3 Professor's Research SHF 60
* 3 Channeler UNM 190
* 2 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 11

* 4 Fighting Energy Energy 6
* 3 Stone {F} Energy VIV 164
* 4 Single Strike Energy BST 141

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Channeler is there to negate the discard all energy from Urshifu VMAX and also remove the discard the top 4 cards of your deck from Tyranitar V.

Scroll of Scorn is there as a last resort if you can't find channeler and your pokemon is low on hp.

Tyranitar V is there as a secondary attacker just in case something happens.

Urn of Vitality is needed if retrieving single strike energy if you lose it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Yeesterbunny

This is just my opinion but I think the better attack of the Rapid Strike Urshifu is the Vmax single energy attack that does 150 if your coming off the bench. That's the Rapid part of Rapid strike. If you do choose rapid strike focus on decreasing the retreat cost and lots of switching trainers so you can pop off the bench and hit for 150 as early as second turn.  Then once you've got the 3 energy and your opponent has maybe retreated wounded pokemons you can KO 2 wounded big guys.... just a thought.

Radruby317

Yeah I agree with yeesterbunny. Sniper pokemon (pokemon that can hit benched pokemon) are really good for taking out pokemon before they can become a threat. For example, KOing the charmander before it evolve into a charizard and royal blazes you for 300 and ruin your entire game.

Yeesterbunny

I only have 1 copy of RS Urshifu and RS Urshifu Vmax so I cannot make a proper Urshifu deck but here's a first draft list I threw together.

I think RS Urshifu would really benefit from Guzma but I made this list for standard so no guzma. I put in Tower of Waters for easy retreat lots of switching trainers so it could get that 150 damage when coming off the bench. I don't really like Pokemon catcher because it's not reliable but without Guzma in standard it's another option to pull targeted opponents off their bench and might be helpful in a pinch....

Octillery Is there for RS draw support

Bird Keepers are for switching and draw support

Scroll might be helpful  for soften up attack or to finish off several damaged Pokemon and if you use Guzma & Hala you have a tool to search for.

3 copies of Bruno might be too many. Maybe RS Mustard instead or Korrina's Focus (Those can be drawn with Octillery whereas Bruno cannot.

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 4 Rapid Strike Urshifu V BST 87
* 4 Rapid Strike Urshifu VMAX BST 88
* 2 Remoraid BST 36
* 2 Octillery BST 37

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 3 Tower of Waters BST 138
* 4 Bird Keeper DAA 159
* 4 Switch SSH 183
* 4 Escape Rope BUS 114
* 2 Marnie SSH 169
* 2 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 3 Bruno BST 121
* 3 Boss's Orders SHF 58
* 2 Rapid Strike Scroll of Swirls BST 131
* 3 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 2 Pokémon Catcher SSH 175

##Energy - 8

* 4 Rapid Strike Energy BST 140
* 4 Stone {F} Energy VIV 164

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Edited by Yeesterbunny
Adding more info about card choices
Soup1900

You should get rid of 2 bruno's since this is a vmax deck and since they have a lot of hp and prize card with you should shorten it to 1 bruno. You also need 1 crobat V and/or 1 dedenne GX. Also you should get at least 1 more quick ball to help search your deck. 3 tower of waters is fine but 2 is really all you need. 1 weakness is you can't retrieve any special energy for this, and another weakness is that mew UNB can block the damage from it with its bench barrier ability which can ruin your entire strategy since you don't have the effect bypass effect. otherwise a good deck but wouldn't rate it better than SS Urshifu VMAX.

Edited by Soup1900
  • Upvote 1
Yeesterbunny

As I said it was a first draft I threw together so edits would be needed to smooth it out. I don't even have the cards necessary to test that list out....

Boss's Orders can be used to target mew and open the bench for attack.

Octillery can search out rapid strike energy I believe.

While dedenne gx or crobat v may be useful I'm not convinced that they're "needed" in this deck since they are fairly weak for 2 prizers, I think jirachi might be better if more draw/search is needed.

Soup1900

Crobat V and Dedenne GX aren't used to attack, they are used to draw cards with their abilities. Octillery can only draw cards from your deck, not discard pile.  Jirachi is a 1 time use and it has to be on the active spot. Also, octillery's search ability is a 1 time use meaning you can only do that ability once per turn and only 1 time per turn even if you have 2. Also this stadium is kind of unlikely but I use them in 1 of my decks and its the stadium spikemuth. It damages your pokemon when going into bench. Also when facing a poison deck they usually have dragalge which then locks your pokemon in the active spot which then can ruin your whole strategy. 

• Upvote 1
Yeesterbunny

I meant Dedenne & crobat are weak in HP for 2 prize Pokemon so they would be likely targets. With the amount of switching in the list having jirachi in the active spot is not much of a problem, same with dragalge (does not prevent switching, only retreating).

Anyways, none of this really matters. The OP seems likely to choose ST as they have more copies.

My original point was merely that RS urshifu's first attack that only costs 1 energy was in my opinion more of the focal point than the 2nd, 3 cost attack for spread damage. I was just trying to provide info for the OP to help them decide which to choose.