why are there no battle decks in the shop

KadiSuperwoman

Apart from Theme decks, I haven't seen anyother type of deck in the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online shop.

It's just not a route that's been taken. It would be interesting to know exactly why though. I have my guesses but there're rather pessimistic to say the least. 

Who knows though, it might change.

• Upvote 2

Considering how they replaced Theme Decks with Battle Decks, they really should put up the Battle Decks in the shop (and make them available for Trainer Challenge and Theme Deck duels: despite having a V, the Venusaur and Blastoise decks are widely considered to be slightly worse than regular Theme Decks, so they're balanced. Sure, it may eventually change, but so did Theme Decks: just compare the oldest decks to the newest).

Of course, only the lvl 1 Battle Decks, as those are the replacements for Theme Decks (Venusaur/Blastoise, and the upcoming Victini/Gardevoir). Lvl 2+ (like the upcoming Intelion deck) are replacements of Tin Decks, so THOSE should still be code-only of course and unavailable in Theme Deck duels.

Edited by GR0
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GR0 said:

so they're balanced

Bud the vast majority of theme decks are unplayable if someone wants to play to win. This game - as a whole - is anything other than "balanced".

5 hours ago, GR0 said:

Considering how they replaced Theme Decks with Battle Decks

Has there been an official release of information stating this?

If so, where did you see it? I would like to read it.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GrimBeard said:

Bud the vast majority of theme decks are unplayable if someone wants to play to win. This game - as a whole - is anything other than "balanced".

I think you're missing the context of @GR0's comment.  He's saying that within the Theme Format, the new V decks aren't going to be overly powerful.  No Theme Deck is truly competitive in Standard or Expanded, and most Theme Decks aren't worth in even in the Theme Format.

12 hours ago, GrimBeard said:

Has there been an official release of information stating this?

If so, where did you see it? I would like to read it.

I do not recall if there was an official announcement, but remember how they announced no more Fairies but didn't say a word about Dragons, yet neither have shown up in the Sword & Shield series.  In the history of the Pokémon TCG, the following "regular" sets have lacked Theme Decks:

• Neo Revelation
  • Legendary Treasures

Now I am curious if there was something official announced; it isn't entirely unprecedented, but it is so extremely rare that it might be a sign of changing times.  Especially with a new kind of deck that seems very close to a Theme Deck having released instead.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

I think you're missing the context of @GR0's comment.

At the time, I think you're right. Re-reading this little thread, It's clear - to myself - that I was tired. 

3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

but it is so extremely rare that it might be a sign of changing times.  Especially with a new kind of deck that seems very close to a Theme Deck having released instead.

really hope so. I've almost stopped playing. I literally play a single game every couple of days sigh and log off. I really need something fresh. I get the new set has recently came out but for me, meh. Nothing interests me in it. Like many, I seen the possibility with a good few cards etc but there just aren't to my taste.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, GrimBeard said:

really hope so. I've almost stopped playing. I literally play a single game every couple of days sigh and log off. I really need something fresh. I get the new set has recently came out but for me, meh. Nothing interests me in it. Like many, I seen the possibility with a good few cards etc but there just aren't to my taste.

Hello @GrimBeard, thank you for your feedback.

It has been passed along to the development team. 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:37 PM, KadiSuperwoman said:

i saw two new battle decks in stores, but they are not for sale in the pokemon shop

Hello @KadiSuperwoman

Thank you for your question! I've forwarded it further. 

On 3/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, GrimBeard said:

At the time, I think you're right. Re-reading this little thread, It's clear - to myself - that I was tired.

No worries.  Glad that it helped instead of just seeming pushy.

Though someone seems to have downvoted my comment. XD I might have an "unhappy follower" as I've noticed I keep getting like one or two downvotes per day, and not on stuff where it really makes sense.  Or maybe they're just delayed reactions, since a lot of us don't check this site daily. XD

• Downvote 1

• 4 months later...

I learned PTCG from playing theme decks online. I doubt I would have become a competitive standard player without them getting my foot in the door. I played the trainer challenge and then theme deck battles for a few months in 2019. It's unfortunate that opportunity to bring in new players is going away.