I often wonder why I see so many trainer cards used in Expanded that have objectively better versions

FeistyDeity

First of all, I know how this may come across as a thinly veiled "look-at-these-noobs-being-so-dumb-and-me-being-so-clever-by-pointing-it-out" kind of post. It really isn't intended that way, I'm just genuinely curious - especially since I have encountered this plenty when playing against opponents with coherent, well-thought-out decks and the ability to play them well.

To clarify, I'm talking about using Cilan over Lady, Shauna over Cynthia, PFC over Sonia... I'm sure there are other examples but those are the ones that spontaneously come to mind right now.

I'm especially curious because those superior cards are all so easily available too - the ones I mentioned just now are all included in multiple theme decks, so you could easily accumulate them by buying those.

Again, I'm aware of how this may seem like a "smugness indulgence" post, but I really didn't mean it like that. I'm just wondering if there's an explanation that I'm missing here. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It’s probably just because the player likes the characters over the others or if they using full arts shauna over regular art Cynthia they probably can’t get a full art Cynthia and only like to use full arts I would use full art over regular tbh if I could ever get any

I'd assume either old players that occasionally play a game and don't bother updating their deck, or beginners with a small collection that don't know that there are better cards (depending when they started / which era they received their first Theme decks from).

You should also know that there is a hidden ELO match making in constructed and while TCPI has never fully revelead in what range there are searching (except for “we'll increase the search radius if a game hasn't been found after X amount of time”, indicating that you'll occasionally face people outside your ELO range).

If this happens sometimes to you it's probably a case where you are matched against someone far below your skill level.

However, if this happens on a regular basis, then I got bad news for you...

Edited by Felidae_
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1. Lack of knowledge, they don't know the card or how to get them

2. They not bother to update their deck (for some reason)

3. They prefer some certain cards over making a stronger deck

that what I conclude from your guys comments