Tip for a beginner

Eonyr

I think im Not the First one.

But i Need Help or Tips.

Because i lose every round very fast (record ist in 1round), because of vmax Pokemon or other.

Maybe Bad Luck.

PinkyPockyPanda

Were you playing in

- Standard, Expanded or Theme?

- Versus or Tournament?

and

What is your deck?

Yeesterbunny

If you're using a theme deck your best chance is to play against other theme decks. Choose theme on the vs ladder rather than standard.

Eonyr

Lol okay thanks.

I have Overseen theme.

I only looked at Standard , old and extended.

I try Themen now maybe that ist more for me and Not so Frustration.

• Upvote 1
PinkyPockyPanda

theme deck really have no chance against GX Or V/Vmax

try get the free card from ladder, that may help upgrade your deck a bit. But unless you have lot of time to grind or money to spend. It is reccomended to stick in theme format for now, until you get more card to build a competable deck.

have fun :D

Otakutron

Here is how I suggest you work your way up in the PTCGO.  However, I haven't had to use it in a little while, so there may be some outdated bits, and it sounds like you're not starting from scratch, though the first step still applies:

1. Save! Save! Save!  The game is pretty generous with in-game rewards but if you spend them poorly, it won't seem like it.  I'll explain more but I worry if I don't start with that... well, people won't read the corresponding step until it is too late. XP
  2. Play the Trainer Challenge.  If you're completely new to the Pokémon TCG or just struggling to get used to how the PTCGO controls, complete the Trainer Challenge.
  3. Save up 500 Tokens.  It used to be completing the Trainer Challenge meant you'd reach this goal, but not always.  Daily Log In Bonuses and the Reward Challenges are your friends.
  4. Buy a competitive Theme Deck for the Theme Format.  We'll worry about other Formats later; your first goal is to get a modern Theme Deck you can win with in the Theme Format.  Exactly what you get will vary according to the "metagame", the competitive cardpool (or in this case, selection of Theme Decks).  Anything more than two years old is not going to be a good choice.
  5. Practice with your new Theme Deck in the Trainer Challenge.  Yes, even if you're a good player!  You need to learn the basics of it and if you win enough games against different computer opponent's (I think it is 12) you'll get a tradelocked booster pack as a bonus.
  6. Use your new Theme Deck to grind the Reward Ladder.  You're not just trying to rack up wins and rewards, though.  You get 10 "victory points" for a win (I think that is the term the ladder uses).  Get enough VPs to earn rewards.  There are some bonuses you can earn for more VP (we can explain that later), and even if you lose, you get 1 VP per Knock Out you scored, up to five.

You also need to learn the metagame.  You don't have to have your decklist memorized and its strategy perfectly learned, but you need to have an idea.  You also need to start developing an idea about the other competitive Theme Decks.  Eventually, you should have at least an idea of what is in each competitive Theme Deck, and the amounts for key cards.  For example, if a deck has access to healing cards, you'll want to remember how many so you don't blunder into a bad situation where they avoid getting KO'd and turn the game around through healing.
  7. Save Up Tickets.  The PTCGO requires you spend "Tickets" to enter online tournaments (under the Events tab).  You can earn Tickets through your Daily Log In Bonus and the Reward Ladder.  You need either four or eight for tournaments, but I recommend saving up so you can do multiple tournaments in a row.
  8. Play in online tournaments.  Tournaments are three rounds, with 8 total players.  Single elimination.  Fifth through eighth place give you a Reward Chest (maybe some Tokens as well?).  You start getting tradable booster packs at fourth place and higher.  Besides knowing your Theme Deck and knowing the metagame, pay attention to the time of day.  Simply put, it seems like stronger players are more likely to show up at different times of day.
  9. Save your tradable boosters; they are money!  At least, they're currency for the PTCGO.  It goes against the EULA to spend money on virtual PTCGO cards.  You cannot trade Tokens for other people's cards.  So PTCGO cards are valued in "generic booster packs", and packs have a "trade ratio" with this generic booster pack.  We can explain this in more detail if you need it, but understand that opening tradable booster packs is a bad idea.  You can do it if you really want, but even if the contents of a pack add up to more in trade value than the sealed pack... you need to find someone who wants each and every one of those cards.  That is difficult and time consuming.
  10. Learn to trade.  Ask about that after you've saved for a bit, this is long enough already. XD
  11. Stick to the Theme Format for a bit.  I find playing at least two or three Theme Decks is a good idea, to get a better idea of the game.  Preferably, two or three competitive Theme Decks with at least somewhat different strategies.  This can lead into the next step...
  12. Find a Theme Deck that can lead to an other Format budget deck list.  Sometimes Standard is better to aim for, sometimes Expanded.  Legacy is probably the hardest, but Legacy doesn't add new sets or remove older ones, so once you have a deck there, you have a deck there.  However, Legacy is the least played Format, so it can take minutes to find an opponent on the ladder, and there are no online tournaments for it.

You may need a variety of cards from several different Theme Decks, or you might be lucky and - at this point - there will be something functional (not necessarily strong) that can be made by simply buying two of the same Theme Deck, combining them together, then removing all the extra and/or weakest cards.  You'll probably have to start trading for at least a few things, though.
  13. Once you have your first budget other Format deck, begin grinding in that Format.  Repeat the steps you took with the Theme Format in this other Format, and eventually you'll be able to save up and trade for what you need to build a real deck.
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Radruby317
On 3/29/2021 at 11:05 AM, Otakutron said:

Here is how I suggest you work your way up in the PTCGO.  However, I haven't had to use it in a little while, so there may be some outdated bits, and it sounds like you're not starting from scratch, though the first step still applies:

1. Save! Save! Save!  The game is pretty generous with in-game rewards but if you spend them poorly, it won't seem like it.  I'll explain more but I worry if I don't start with that... well, people won't read the corresponding step until it is too late. XP
  2. Play the Trainer Challenge.  If you're completely new to the Pokémon TCG or just struggling to get used to how the PTCGO controls, complete the Trainer Challenge.
  3. Save up 500 Tokens.  It used to be completing the Trainer Challenge meant you'd reach this goal, but not always.  Daily Log In Bonuses and the Reward Challenges are your friends.
  4. Buy a competitive Theme Deck for the Theme Format.  We'll worry about other Formats later; your first goal is to get a modern Theme Deck you can win with in the Theme Format.  Exactly what you get will vary according to the "metagame", the competitive cardpool (or in this case, selection of Theme Decks).  Anything more than two years old is not going to be a good choice.
  5. Practice with your new Theme Deck in the Trainer Challenge.  Yes, even if you're a good player!  You need to learn the basics of it and if you win enough games against different computer opponent's (I think it is 12) you'll get a tradelocked booster pack as a bonus.
  6. Use your new Theme Deck to grind the Reward Ladder.  You're not just trying to rack up wins and rewards, though.  You get 10 "victory points" for a win (I think that is the term the ladder uses).  Get enough VPs to earn rewards.  There are some bonuses you can earn for more VP (we can explain that later), and even if you lose, you get 1 VP per Knock Out you scored, up to five.

You also need to learn the metagame.  You don't have to have your decklist memorized and its strategy perfectly learned, but you need to have an idea.  You also need to start developing an idea about the other competitive Theme Decks.  Eventually, you should have at least an idea of what is in each competitive Theme Deck, and the amounts for key cards.  For example, if a deck has access to healing cards, you'll want to remember how many so you don't blunder into a bad situation where they avoid getting KO'd and turn the game around through healing.
  7. Save Up Tickets.  The PTCGO requires you spend "Tickets" to enter online tournaments (under the Events tab).  You can earn Tickets through your Daily Log In Bonus and the Reward Ladder.  You need either four or eight for tournaments, but I recommend saving up so you can do multiple tournaments in a row.
  8. Play in online tournaments.  Tournaments are three rounds, with 8 total players.  Single elimination.  Fifth through eighth place give you a Reward Chest (maybe some Tokens as well?).  You start getting tradable booster packs at fourth place and higher.  Besides knowing your Theme Deck and knowing the metagame, pay attention to the time of day.  Simply put, it seems like stronger players are more likely to show up at different times of day.
  9. Save your tradable boosters; they are money!  At least, they're currency for the PTCGO.  It goes against the EULA to spend money on virtual PTCGO cards.  You cannot trade Tokens for other people's cards.  So PTCGO cards are valued in "generic booster packs", and packs have a "trade ratio" with this generic booster pack.  We can explain this in more detail if you need it, but understand that opening tradable booster packs is a bad idea.  You can do it if you really want, but even if the contents of a pack add up to more in trade value than the sealed pack... you need to find someone who wants each and every one of those cards.  That is difficult and time consuming.
  10. Learn to trade.  Ask about that after you've saved for a bit, this is long enough already. XD
  11. Stick to the Theme Format for a bit.  I find playing at least two or three Theme Decks is a good idea, to get a better idea of the game.  Preferably, two or three competitive Theme Decks with at least somewhat different strategies.  This can lead into the next step...
  12. Find a Theme Deck that can lead to an other Format budget deck list.  Sometimes Standard is better to aim for, sometimes Expanded.  Legacy is probably the hardest, but Legacy doesn't add new sets or remove older ones, so once you have a deck there, you have a deck there.  However, Legacy is the least played Format, so it can take minutes to find an opponent on the ladder, and there are no online tournaments for it.

You may need a variety of cards from several different Theme Decks, or you might be lucky and - at this point - there will be something functional (not necessarily strong) that can be made by simply buying two of the same Theme Deck, combining them together, then removing all the extra and/or weakest cards.  You'll probably have to start trading for at least a few things, though.
  13. Once you have your first budget other Format deck, begin grinding in that Format.  Repeat the steps you took with the Theme Format in this other Format, and eventually you'll be able to save up and trade for what you need to build a real deck.

Wow I started a few weeks ago, and I do the exact opposite of this. I play expanded, haven't done the trainer challenge, have only done 1 tournament, and open all packs. thanks!

• Like 1
Otakutron

@Radruby317 Yeah, I learned this by doing it the wrong way myself.  Well, I think I did tackle the Trainer Challenge first, but that was less "Oh, I should learn how to play!" and more "Oh, I wonder what I can do in this mode?". XD  I believe I was complaining about a trade or some other silly thing when another board member set me straight and explained how it worked.  Now, I just try to pass it along. :)