Idea for New Security Features

MegaPokéMaster5

One day I logged on to the PTCGO to find that all my valuable tradeable cards were stolen (using private trades) while I was offline. They took control of my account and thus exchanged basic common cards for my valuable cards and there was nothing I could do about it. It was truly disheartening to see a collection that took me years to build, all wiped out in one day. This lead me to wonder what features could be added to the PTCGO so this does not happen again. First and foremost I want to mention that I did not give my username or password to anyone and I did not use any 3rd party software so I am still unsure of how someone got into my account in the first place. However, that is not the purpose of this thread. The purpose is to make the game safer (especially since this should be a kid-friendly game). Here I will give a few suggestions, but I am just one person and so I would like to see what other suggestions the community has. I am open to hearing the pros and cons of my suggestions or if they are even possible. 

1) When someone managed to get into my account I was actually trying to log into my account at the same time. I could not log in because the game mentioned my account was in use on some other device. Believing it was a glitch I didn't think much of it and came back the next day (to see all my tradeable cards stolen). I believe that if there was some sort of button I could have clicked that would automatically log off my account from any other devices using it, my loss would not have been as heavy. Something along the lines of "Another device is currently signed into your account. Would you like to force that account to sign out?" with a yes or no option. Like this you could force out the intruder and change your password. Currently, I believe you must wait for the other user to log off before you can log in. If I am wrong please correct me.

2) Another alternative could be the inclusion of a way to trade-lock tradeable cards. Yes I know there are several disadvantages to this but at least this way your cards are locked to that account and no one can do anything about it. The game could let a user trade-lock any amount of tradeable cards (with a warning pop up beforehand as well).

The advantages of this:

- One could trade-lock cards they know they are never going to trade (such as cards they use in decks they play frequently). Like this if someone would manage to log into their account at least their decks are safe.

- This could also be helpful when performing trades. If you trade-lock the cards in a deck you won't accidentally trade them away later on making the deck invalid

- This could be a very useful parental feature too for parents that have young kids who would probably get scammed by the public trades (there could be a "trade-lock all button" somewhere)

Of course there are many disadvantages and I acknowledge this. Here are some:

- If you trade-lock a playset of cards (let's say you had 4 tradeable full art Cynthias and trade-locked them) the 5th trade-locked copy (let's say you got a fifth copy of full art Cynthia from a trade-locked pack) is useless. If you had kept at least one of your full art Cynthias as tradeable you would have a full art Cynthia to trade.

- Trade-locking your own cards gives you less options (maybe you'll miss out on a really good deal someone posted because you trade-locked one of the cards so the trade doesn't show up)

- Beginners might also trade-lock a card by accident (that is why I suggest a warning pop up delivered by "Zach" , the in-game character that tends to give reminders on in game effects such as evolution, poison, etc.).  

- If you plan on switching accounts later (perhaps to change username) you will not be able to transfer your trade-locked cards to the new account. If you had kept the cards tradeable you could theoretically have transferred them through private trades between the two accounts.

3) Two-Factor Authentication

Whenever a new device attempts to access your account you will be notified by email or phone #. You must accept via your phone in order to access the account on the new device. An authentication code would be given and you would have to type it in to proceed. This is a very good security feature because even if someone managed to hack into your account they would not be able to proceed without knowing the authentication code. However, this process can be a little annoying if you switch device frequently. I still think it is a great idea, and both Steam and Discord use this method of security.

Please let me know what you all think :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

while it is not direct to the topic, I would like to ask if you had contact the official about this? were they be able to trace where the cards go?

@PinkyPockyPanda

Yes I contacted them and they said they would look into the issue. I was given 10 Darkness Ablaze and 10 Vivid Voltage Packs as compensation. I appreciate the packs as compensation but I still believe an improvement in the security measures is more beneficial to everyone in the community (well except the hackers).

26 minutes ago, MegaPokéMaster5 said:

@PinkyPockyPanda

Yes I contacted them and they said they would look into the issue. I was given 10 Darkness Ablaze and 10 Vivid Voltage Packs as compensation. I appreciate the packs as compensation but I still believe an improvement in the security measures is more beneficial to everyone in the community (well except the hackers).

Thanks for the news, I hope the hacker caught and punished.

I think 1 and 3 on your list would be great!

...but I'm not really sure about 2

Edited by WaffleLycanroc

16 hours ago, PinkyPockyPanda said:

Thanks for the news, I hope the hacker caught and punished.

Me too. It's just pitiful to think that someone would be selfish enough to log into what could, potentially, be a child's account and take all their cards. I am at an age where I could accept this and move on but I can only imagine how heartbreaking it would be for a young child who worked hard to acquire his/her cards. I don't know about everyone else but if this had happened to me at 10 years old I would probably be done with the Pokémon Trading Card Game as a whole, whether we are talking about the physical or digital cards, due to frustration. Furthermore, imagine if a content creator got his/her cards stolen from their account. They could be forced to quit making content, if the loss is too steep to recover from! The PTCGO is supposed to be there to encourage people to play the Pokémon Trading Card Game (whether physically or virtually) and I believe it does a good job. The game is really fun and as a kid I really enjoyed the idea of getting to open two packs for every 1 physical pack I would buy at the store (opening the physical pack for real-life cards and digital pack via the code card inside). The PTCGO is a fun enhancement to the real-life card game and I believe an effort should be made to protect the community through advanced safety features even if the developers come up with something I have not proposed on this thread. It is important to remember that the things we enjoy as adults are largely based upon the experiences we've had as kids. If a child decides to dive into Pokémon, starting with the PTCGO, and has a bad experience (such as *****, stolen cards, scammed on trades, etc.), then that child will not grow into a loyal consumer of the Pokémon franchise. From a business perspective, he/she will buy little to no Pokémon products (whether they be games, packs, plushies, Pokémon pencil cases, etc). The developers of the PTCGO have addressed the issue regarding ***** via removing the in-game chat, which is great, but why stop there? There are several cases of stolen cards that I know of that could have been resolved through the use of better security features (and possibly many more that go unreported). So please if a dev so happens to be reading this (though at first this was intended to be a very simple reply to PinkyPockyPanda) please know that investing some time (and money if necessary) to improve this game's security will be a wise decision in the long run because it creates a safer and happier community and here's a hint on the business side of things: If you can offer safety to your consumers they will be more open to buying your products whether they are related to the PTCGO or not. That being said, I hope any developer or mod reading this will really push for this to happen since it really does benefit everyone (except the hackers of course). It's good to talk about the issue but fixing it is way better. Sorry PinckyPockyPanda that my simple reply turned into an essay. Please forgive me. Thank you to anyone and everyone who have taken the time to talk about the issue with me on this thread.

8 hours ago, WaffleLycanroc said:

I think 1 and 3 on your list would be great!

...but I'm not really sure about 2

I understand it contains many cons and I donèt know how many people would use it. My main reason for suggesting 2 was due to the fact that I imagine it would be the easiest feature to implement and would be optional. I also did not find the solution mentioned anywhere else. Thanks for responding to the thread :)

• Upvote 1