fire decks are easy wins

FeliciaFidelity

every time i come across a fire deck they require no strategy to win. theyre all the same with their charizard tag teams or the ones that require 2 energy to do an insane amount of damage and welders/blacksmiths galore. i insta concede when i come across those decks or anything with a starting lugia gx. my friends tell me the same as those decks are insanely op for no reason. you can insta win on your first turn half the time unless the person playing against these fire decks somehow are able to come out with a ninetales or altaria/decidueye but thats not always enough because some fire pkmn v/gx counter the ability to save the player from insta losing.

• Upvote 4

Welcome.

It seems to me you are starting the game so it's interesting to know that feelings.

Far from counter I have to say we all went through that path, with different type/decks/dominant pokémon and there's an initial period where a lot of things must be learnt and the collection increased discovering new cards, powerful pokémon, the importance of trainers and how to build a competitive deck.

May seem Charizard or Lugia are unbeatable but there are many things that can be done to beat'em, starting by playing water or electric and hit for weakness, join them to combat fire with fire, up to having a Meta deck that can recover from an initial KO and win ~80% of games.

There's a lot to master and game moves fast with new sets every 3 months so think you will never end exploring and learning. Same like Ash ending a whole adventure and league just to start a new one in a different place.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/22/2021 at 8:18 AM, Chasista said:

Welcome.

It seems to me you are starting the game so it's interesting to know that feelings.

Far from counter I have to say we all went through that path, with different type/decks/dominant pokémon and there's an initial period where a lot of things must be learnt and the collection increased discovering new cards, powerful pokémon, the importance of trainers and how to build a competitive deck.

May seem Charizard or Lugia are unbeatable but there are many things that can be done to beat'em, starting by playing water or electric and hit for weakness, join them to combat fire with fire, up to having a Meta deck that can recover from an initial KO and win ~80% of games.

There's a lot to master and game moves fast with new sets every 3 months so think you will never end exploring and learning. Same like Ash ending a whole adventure and league just to start a new one in a different place.

She could be just starting on the forum but her account is from 2019. I assume she isn't new as many people concede to fire/lugia decks as it happens to me all the time. As soon as they see my Lugia-GX and a Charmander or Charizard-GX on the field my opponents will concede half the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I get it a lot when I play my Fire deck (the one I posted in the deck build forum) - but as much as a good draw will result in a potential easy win, I get beat loads too.
For a start, its weakness is anything Water.... there are loads of cards that can beat it easily - just have to keep going with it.

For Charizard VV - yeah, I can have 4 Leons in discard pile, and it only takes 2 energy to use Royal Blaze, but what happens when I can't pull energy back, or I get confused/paralized/crushing hammer takes away energy?

There's loads of options to try and take it out and by quitting so soon, you'll never find out how to do it.

21 hours ago, MalevolentGod said:

For Charizard VV - yeah, I can have 4 Leons in discard pile, and it only takes 2 energy to use Royal Blaze, but what happens when I can't pull energy back, or I get confused/paralized/crushing hammer takes away energy?

There's loads of options to try and take it out and by quitting so soon, you'll never find out how to do it.

That should not be hard. Run Welder, Blacksmith and enough energies, then luck will be on your side in more than 90% of all cases.

Fire IS overpowerd, more than it should be. That's a fact. And Charizard in specific is THE Logo-Pokémon, getting powerful new versions with nearly every expansion.

However, I agree that finding options which increase your winrate against any sort of Meta-deck is a key and can be fun too ~

4 minutes ago, Chrolo4 said:

That should not be hard. Run Welder, Blacksmith and enough energies, then luck will be on your side in more than 90% of all cases.

Fire IS overpowerd, more than it should be. That's a fact. And Charizard in specific is THE Logo-Pokémon, getting powerful new versions with nearly every expansion.

However, I agree that finding options which increase your winrate against any sort of Meta-deck is a key and can be fun too ~

So far in my play, the most annoying decks to come across are the Poison/Confuse combo ones, when using my Fire deck.
It's a trade off, mine is an aggressive deck with high damage output, but it can be completely hobbled quickly with confuse/poison as I have no healing cards, as I rarely used them before.

AS OP as a charizard fire deck can be, its no more frustrating than anything else you've no real counter to, or if you're not allowed to play. I used to play a fair bit of MTG, and in Pokemon, the psychic/dark/green decks ive seen which limit your play are virtually the same as blue/black/red decks from that.

If you think Charizard decks are frustrating, try playing MTG against a Black Plague deck, where you can attach a one hit kill enchantment onto (to use a pokemon equivalent) Magikarp, and not being able to attack, defend, and have to rely entirely on something to get rid of the enchantment/equipment... only multiple times. BEFORE you can do any damage without dying. lol

The charizard fire deck can be a powerful deck. However, just like other decks, it has different strengths and weakness'. I believe a lot of it comes down to luck of the draw. Such as, what deck you are using at the time, are you getting the cards you need or have cards in hand to get what you need early on in the game. Don't get me wrong, I love charizard. However, I do believe the charizard decks are being a bit overused at the moment and a lot of frustrations regarding them is do more to how often players are seeing them. There are a lot of good fire pokemon that can work well in fire decks besides charizard. So, this may just be a phase as charizard is a very popular and well known pokemon.

I just started about 2-3 months ago & starting a collection from scratch in this OP Basics meta with EX, GX/Tag Team, V/Max, etc. is like climbing a cliff with both hands tied behind your back. I got lucky & earned 2 Reshiram & Charizard Tag Team GXs through VS Points, pulled a 3rd from a pack & spent 1000 Tokens on 2 'Relentless Flame' Charizard Decks. Added in a few fire themed trainers like Blacksmith, 1 Welder, 1 Fire Crystal, 2 Kiawe, 2 Scorched Earth stadium, 2 Burning Energy, 1 Heat Energy. The Charizards may be cheap, but they don't save me from Water decks or decks that spam EX/GX/Vs with fast energy setups. It just enough to let me compete with a decent to good chance of winning. Would be nice if I could make other really good decks of other types, but they don't give you much to start with.

The real problem for beginners is that newcomers have to deal with people who have OP EX/GX/V themes, which just isn't fair. They need a Ranking System. Let newcomers, regular & expert veterans compete on their own levels so that newcomers don't get their decks smashed to the point where they scream "**** THIS BROKEN *** UNBALANCED GAME!!! I QUIT!!!"

I certainly felt this way numerous times, especially in tournaments where I always lose the 1st match in no less than 2-5 turns tops! And that's another problem! Single Elimination format tournaments are ********! Back at my Card Shop they would run Swiss Format tournaments so everyone got to play at least 3 matches before getting eliminated if they lost 2 or 3. Just seems like a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Animebryan said:

The real problem for beginners is that newcomers have to deal with people who have OP EX/GX/V themes, which just isn't fair. They need a Ranking System. Let newcomers, regular & expert veterans compete on their own levels so that newcomers don't get their decks smashed to the point where they scream "**** THIS BROKEN *** UNBALANCED GAME!!! I QUIT!!!"

1. They do have a ranking system. But it hidden from public eyes. However, they extend the matching range when player start to wait for too long. This not apply to tournament, I believe.

2. All new rookies do not have equal start. We can get in game cards from Boosters/Decks we bought in real life. So the ranking system can't gaurantee we wouldn't match against strong deck.

3. It is advice from a community (fellows online players) that if you do not have vast collection to build a competitive deck yet, you should stay away from Standard/Expanded tournament. Keep yourself in Theme tournament where you can buy a competitive deck with only 500 Tokens.

I would have thought that a ranking system, rather than totally random match ups would be down to the points played/games played calculation?

So even if you have a great deck, if you're rubbish at the game, it will still pair you with equal skill?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, MalevolentGod said:

I would have thought that a ranking system, rather than totally random match ups would be down to the points played/games played calculation?

So even if you have a great deck, if you're rubbish at the game, it will still pair you with equal skill?

Wait the ranking system is based on your ELO, so your past history of games won and lost right?

So if you have a great deck and you are rubbish, you would continue losing and matchups are easier.

Anyways no matter how rubbish you are, an ADP/Z always overpowers a Magikarp. :)

Edited by HankBBQ
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I absolutely agree, no matter how good a deck you use, somehow fire types are just consistent every time. It's genuinely baffling. What doesn't help is how the simpletons at Creatures decided to make TWO charizard theme decks, both of which are absurdly strong. It's not even like charizard is anywhere near that good in the games. ****, CINDERACE is literally a better Pokemon than him and the Cinderace theme deck is garbage.