[CARD] Game Bug

WishiwashiJoshi

Hello, i was playing expanded this morning and i was playing against shock lock.  They used Evoshock raichu's ability leaving my pokemon paralyzed and then i attached a stealthy hood to my paralyzed pokemon and the stealthy hood did not remove the paralysis.  I dont know if it should or shouldn't but the card reads (Prevent all effects of your opponent's abilities done to the pokemon this card is attached to.  Remove any such existing effects) from my knowledge that should remove the paralysis.  Can anyone help? 

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
title updated to reflect the sub's format, tag and item prefix included
BukWyrm

Paralysis is not an existing effect of the ability, Paralysis is a special condition. The "Remove any such existing effects" would be in effect in cases such as "Disgusting Pollen" by Vileplume BUS.

Allow me to explain further, Raichu's ability evoshock leads to your active pokemon to be paralyzed, then the ability is ended the ability no longer has any effect on any of your pokemon. However the paralysis is a result of the ability that is carried past the ability's activation period. If the ability said "As long as this pokemon is in the active position, the opponent's active pokemon deals 20 less damage" then the stealthy hood would be able to remove the concurrent effect that is your active was dealing 20 less damage. However since in Evoshock's case, the ability is ended and isn't in effect at the time when you attached the Stealthy hood, hence stealthy hood would not be able to remove the paralysis. Furthermore, I would also like to mention that Special Conditions are considered to be separate from abilities, and hence removing the effect of abilities on the pokemon would have no correspondance with removing any special conditions from the pokemon. 

The example I used where the Stealthy Hood's "Remove any such existing effects" would be applicable would be when Disgusting Pollen by Vileplume BUS is in the active and your active pokemon is a basic pokemon, the existing effect would be that if your active pokemon is a basic pokemon, it cannot attack, Stealthy hood would be able to remove such an existing effect since it is directly due to an ability. Or if an ability (I have no recall of any ability like this but it would interact as such) said that "When this pokemon is played to evolve a pokemon, your opponent's active pokemon deals -20 damage next turn" The existing effect of dealing -20 damage next turn would be able to be removed from your pokemon when you attach Stealthy Hood on it, even though it's entirely after the activation and ending of the ability. However I must make it very clear, "your opponent's active pokemon would deal -20 damage next turn" is an effect on your pokemon, but "Paralysis" is considered a special condition instead of an effect, "your opponent's active pokemon will be paralyzed" is considered to be an effect that leads to a special condition, hence the first one would be blocked and removed by Stealthy Hood, the second would not be removed or blocked by stealthy hood, the third would be blocked by stealthy hood, but if stealthy hood was not in effect at the time of the ability, it will not affected in any way. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further explanation.

IceBeamTogetic

A similar example would be Decidueye GX's Feather Arrow ability. Stealthy Hood prevents Feather Arrow from placing damage counters on the Pokemon with it attached, this much is obvious. However, if you attach your Stealthy Hood to a Pokemon that was targeted by Feather Arrow on a previous turn, it does not remove the damage counters that have already been placed.

BukWyrm's example with BUS vileplume is the best example of removing existing effects. The main reason Stealthy Hood sees any play in expanded is because of that card.

• Mod_GuruLot changed the title to [CARD] Game Bug
Mod_GuruLot
19 hours ago, WishiwashiJoshi said:

Hello, i was playing expanded this morning and i was playing against shock lock.  They used Evoshock raichu's ability leaving my pokemon paralyzed and then i attached a stealthy hood to my paralyzed pokemon and the stealthy hood did not remove the paralysis.  I dont know if it should or shouldn't but the card reads (Prevent all effects of your opponent's abilities done to the pokemon this card is attached to.  Remove any such existing effects) from my knowledge that should remove the paralysis.  Can anyone help? 

Hello @WishiwashiJoshi

We welcome you to the forums! 

Thank you for explaining what has happened. Hope you find useful the fellow trainers' answers on this topic. 

Mod_GuruLot
5 hours ago, BukWyrm said:

Paralysis is not an existing effect of the ability, Paralysis is a special condition. The "Remove any such existing effects" would be in effect in cases such as "Disgusting Pollen" by Vileplume BUS.

Allow me to explain further, Raichu's ability evoshock leads to your active pokemon to be paralyzed, then the ability is ended the ability no longer has any effect on any of your pokemon. However the paralysis is a result of the ability that is carried past the ability's activation period. If the ability said "As long as this pokemon is in the active position, the opponent's active pokemon deals 20 less damage" then the stealthy hood would be able to remove the concurrent effect that is your active was dealing 20 less damage. However since in Evoshock's case, the ability is ended and isn't in effect at the time when you attached the Stealthy hood, hence stealthy hood would not be able to remove the paralysis. Furthermore, I would also like to mention that Special Conditions are considered to be separate from abilities, and hence removing the effect of abilities on the pokemon would have no correspondance with removing any special conditions from the pokemon. 

The example I used where the Stealthy Hood's "Remove any such existing effects" would be applicable would be when Disgusting Pollen by Vileplume BUS is in the active and your active pokemon is a basic pokemon, the existing effect would be that if your active pokemon is a basic pokemon, it cannot attack, Stealthy hood would be able to remove such an existing effect since it is directly due to an ability. Or if an ability (I have no recall of any ability like this but it would interact as such) said that "When this pokemon is played to evolve a pokemon, your opponent's active pokemon deals -20 damage next turn" The existing effect of dealing -20 damage next turn would be able to be removed from your pokemon when you attach Stealthy Hood on it, even though it's entirely after the activation and ending of the ability. However I must make it very clear, "your opponent's active pokemon would deal -20 damage next turn" is an effect on your pokemon, but "Paralysis" is considered a special condition instead of an effect, "your opponent's active pokemon will be paralyzed" is considered to be an effect that leads to a special condition, hence the first one would be blocked and removed by Stealthy Hood, the second would not be removed or blocked by stealthy hood, the third would be blocked by stealthy hood, but if stealthy hood was not in effect at the time of the ability, it will not affected in any way. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further explanation.

@BukWyrm for helping out. 

4 hours ago, IceBeamTogetic said:

A similar example would be Decidueye GX's Feather Arrow ability. Stealthy Hood prevents Feather Arrow from placing damage counters on the Pokemon with it attached, this much is obvious. However, if you attach your Stealthy Hood to a Pokemon that was targeted by Feather Arrow on a previous turn, it does not remove the damage counters that have already been placed.

BukWyrm's example with BUS vileplume is the best example of removing existing effects. The main reason Stealthy Hood sees any play in expanded is because of that card.

@IceBeamTogetic, thank you for the hint. 

Gimpy101

Dragapult V -
1) Jet Assult Atrack does not add extra damage when moved from bench to active spot after a knockout.
2) Powerful energy does not seem to add damage. 

Has happened more than once. Anyone else? No issues with dragapult vmax

BukWyrm

Hi Gimpy101, first off I would like to welcome you to the forums, this will be an awesome place for you to learn new stuff about the game. Secondly, I would like to request that you start a new post if the content does not correlate with the pre-existing post. 

Thirdly, onto my usual long and clarifying explanations of the supposed bugs. 

First of all, Jet Assault reads,  If this pokemon moved from your Bench to the Active Spot this turn, this attack does 80 more damage. A knockout occurs completely on your opponent's turn, and hence Dragapult V would be considered to be in the Active Spot at the start of your turn, hence it has not moved from your Bench to the Active Spot and hence it does not add the 80 more damage.

Secondly, Powerful [C] Energy reads, the attacks of the [C] (here standing for colorless) pokemon this card is attached to deals 20 more damage to your opponent's active pokemon. Dragapult V is a Psychic type pokemon, or in our terms, [P], Powerful [C] Energy will only increase the damage dealt by [C] Pokemon such as Dubwool V or Snorlax V to name a few.

Hope this solves your problem, I'd recommend reading the cards in more detail in the future, let me know if you need more help.