Thank You for that bad Decision...

Chrolo4

Who got that fabulous idea to give every player two Charizard-Reshiram TT GX for free? It is already one of the most OP (and therefore most annoying) cards in the game, and now every new player has at least two of it too -.- seriously, I'm a little emotional here, but the developers should think about making the game more FUN, promoting only lesser used cards in the reward ladder...

Fun = seeing exotic decks not everyone uses

16 minutes ago, Chrolo4 said:

Who got that fabulous idea to give every player two Charizard-Reshiram TT GX for free? It is already one of the most OP (and therefore most annoying) cards in the game, and now every new player has at least two of it too -.- seriously, I'm a little emotional here, but the developers should think about making the game more FUN, promoting only lesser used cards in the reward ladder...

Fun = seeing exotic decks not everyone uses

U do know it will rotate out soon right? So unless u play expanded u won’t have to worry about it in a few months

Reshiram & Charizard-GX doesn't qualify as one of the most OP cards in the metagame.  It is good, but not that good.  Plus, a lot of what makes it good are the support cards available to it.  How good would Reshizard be without Welder?

I too wish more decks were competitively viable, but I've learned over the years that the it takes a long time for the powers-that-be to realize a card is causing balance issues.  I don't just mean the Ban List; Double Colorless Energy originally released in Base Set, the very first set.  I have to give WotC some credit, they seemed to understand the card was trouble, or if they didn't determine the cut off for the original Modified (what we now call "Standard") Format, then whoever was calling the shots at the time did.  No DCE for eight and a half years.  After they decided to bring it back, though, it then caused balance issues - Mewtwo (NXD), Night March, etc. - until it was finally allowed to rotate it after another nine and a half years.

Of course, they gave us Twin Energy to replace it; I still question that decision, but at least it can't directly break Pokémon-GX or Pokémon V.

22 hours ago, darkness018 said:

U do know it will rotate out soon right? So unless u play expanded u won’t have to worry about it in a few months

No I didn't know, but I can't imagine this to happen. You probably talk about Standard, right? I only play Expanded (and Legacy) ;)

But thanks for mentioning!

21 hours ago, Otakutron said:

Reshiram & Charizard-GX doesn't qualify as one of the most OP cards in the metagame.  It is good, but not that good.  Plus, a lot of what makes it good are the support cards available to it.  How good would Reshizard be without Welder?

Seeing Welder as the last price of the ladder really shocked me. Never got my hands on it although trying hard... so although it even helps ReshiramxCharizard, I appreciate that.

But I wonder you don't see it as so strong.

His first attack is devastating when taking enough damage, which makes your opponent careful already (I remember the old times with Kyurem, Reshiram and Zekrom having this kind of attack and were used everywhere). Then for just thee energies (feels like one in a fire deck) you can make 230 Damage (and its downside doesn't matter a lot). Finally a pretty good GX Attack. If you have 4 Kiawe, 4 Welder in your deck, Blacksmith as well... brutal?

But thank You for your opinion. Also what you said is right, it generally isn't easy to always grasp each cards long term influence on the game :)

I was just a little emotional Yesterday.

Edited by Chrolo4
  • Like 2

@Chrolo4 I understand.  I want to compliment you on disagreeing in a well-spoken fashion.  I would also like to clarify.

First... you mentioned not getting Welder from the ladder.  Do you not own any copies of it?  It is found in at least one Theme Decks, and is only an Uncommon in the sets, so I'm thinking I am misunderstanding. >_<

I'm at the point where I've had to accept that "broken" isn't a single large mountain, but an entire mountain range.  Some stuff is just barely broken, some is very broken.  Just about every "competitive" card is at least a little broken in my eyes.  Now, you've seen how long my comments are, and I suspect that - even without most saying what I just said - on some level many players either agree or disagree in a manner that me constantly going into detail about whether something is "broken", or "broken broken" or "broken broken broken" etc. is more confusing than helpful.  So I mostly save "broken" for the cards that fall into the "Make-you-curl-into-the-fetal-position-and-sob broken". ;)

We don't have a massive amount of tournament results to check things against, but what we do have shows Reshiram & Charizard-GX to be good, but last I checked it was a one-of in Blacephalon decks.  I'm not going to call the card weak, but it isn't the kind of success seen by Zacian V, Eternatus VMAX, or even Reshiram & Charizard-GX itself when it was new.

• Like 2

It's fun reading you guys arguing, no harsh words, no nonsense, but full of POV and reasoning. It been so long that I never seen such a nice discussion like this on internet.

From my experience and opinion, as for a trainer who has a Zachian V Expanded as only a main deck,

R&C Gx, itself is not really OP, yes it has strong attack and high HP, but it also a 3 prize card. On the other hand, it is Welder that really the issue.

R&C GX are less uses after the introduction of Charizard+Leon Combo, before that it was like 2/3 of my opponents are using Fire deck with R&C.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 1:53 AM, Otakutron said:

@Chrolo4 I understand.  I want to compliment you on disagreeing in a well-spoken fashion.  I would also like to clarify.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:58 AM, PinkyPockyPanda said:

It's fun reading you guys arguing, no harsh words, no nonsense, but full of POV and reasoning. It been so long that I never seen such a nice discussion like this on internet.

Thank You for seeing it like this :)

But it is indeed a little sad that this seems to be less likely than an overly heated and emotional conversation in the internet nowadays.

First... you mentioned not getting Welder from the ladder.  Do you not own any copies of it?  It is found in at least one Theme Decks, and is only an Uncommon in the sets, so I'm thinking I am misunderstanding. >_<

Ah, I meant I didn't get it before it's now on the ladder. I feel like Welder FA is kind of the most expensive Supporter Card, as not even 25~30 packs were enough to trade for it.

This might change due to the fact nearly everyone gets one now^^ so for this I am thankful, since I simply love the design.

I'm at the point where I've had to accept that "broken" isn't a single large mountain, but an entire mountain range.  Some stuff is just barely broken, some is very broken.  Just about every "competitive" card is at least a little broken in my eyes.  Now, you've seen how long my comments are, and I suspect that - even without most saying what I just said - on some level many players either agree or disagree in a manner that me constantly going into detail about whether something is "broken", or "broken broken" or "broken broken broken" etc. is more confusing than helpful.  So I mostly save "broken" for the cards that fall into the "Make-you-curl-into-the-fetal-position-and-sob broken". ;)

Yes I actually saw a lot of your comments, you seem to have an answer to everything (at least connected to PTCG) and I admire that ;) for the discussion about something being broken I personally don't only focus on Pokémon, but every card game with a competetive mode, also Hero RPGs, even Games like f. e. Tekken or Overwatch.

I clearly see (you know that too, of course) that it is super hard to balance such games. Some games (basically every non-card game) you can try to fix afterwards by balancing patches, nerfs and buffs. But we see that usually the buffing and nerfing of things makes other things come out as broken and fans of certain cards will always disagree with nerfs, so developers always have a hard time, I know that.

Pokémon (as a card game) has the problem with making all decisions beforehand, working with the current Meta und imagining new cards and their effects to fit into that Meta. So bans from competitive modes are practically the only solution to fix some broken things afterwards. But here of course people also don't agree on everything with each other. Thinking about Zacian V getting banned out of a sudden, I'm sure many people would hate it a lot as they probably own 4 of them and play them in their every decks... so I know that we can't just scream "BAN! BAN! It's broken!", as this matter is more difficult. So I don't wanna do pointless critics to the game developers, I appreciate their work.

However what I would love is another competetive Mode, which would actually replace Standard. Just an idea, but as I stated in another Thread, I don't like Standard at all. I felt that it's no fun and everyone kinda plays the same, many decks are built around Energy Crusher or Zacian V for example.

Now imagine a Game Mode where simply the most used (to name a possible indicator) cards are not allowed to play.

A Game mode without Zacian, Infernopod, Eternatus, Welder, Jirachi, Boltund, Zekrom-Pikachu, Palkia-Dialga-Arceus, Dedenne, Falinks, Exceggutor-Rowlet, Charizard(Leon), Charizard-Reshiram, Giratina-Garchomp and maybe even Energy Crusher for example. I would love to see which decks would get most prominent, what new ideas players bring in...

Generally for PTCG Online I think they could do some changes, as every once in a while we're talking about new ideas here at the website and those posts usually get read, but so far no reactions in-game. But it may be about time and money, maybe for a basically free-to-play game it's just not good economically for the developers.

But then, also for the video games Pokémon recently didn't really used the huge potential of the brand (I think so, but saw some ************** about this issue too), spending not enough professional developers for the games, missing out on quality and many wished opportunities. So many people (like me) didn't bother buying the Switch and skipped Sword/Shield simply because it's not exactly what we hoped and pay 300€+ for. (Now I hope for the next game to go for it, the Meiji-era setting with an open world could be fun)

imo, this is a great thing for Pokemon to do. It gives beginners easy access to 2 TTGXs that have powerful support cards in theme decks. No more trying to get tradeable packs from tournaments playing theme decks ****tal Might?! 😧), just a versus grind and the deck is yours!

I found this also handy for myself as I only had 1 Reshizard and now don't need to spend packs on getting a card I'll only occasionally play. It gives a lot of players more incentive to play, which I'm sure Pokemon wants. Please give us more playable cards in the future like this! Thanks!

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:13 PM, Chrolo4 said:

However what I would love is another competetive Mode, which would actually replace Standard. Just an idea, but as I stated in another Thread, I don't like Standard at all. I felt that it's no fun and everyone kinda plays the same, many decks are built around Energy Crusher or Zacian V for example.

Now imagine a Game Mode where simply the most used (to name a possible indicator) cards are not allowed to play.

A Game mode without Zacian, Infernopod, Eternatus, Welder, Jirachi, Boltund, Zekrom-Pikachu, Palkia-Dialga-Arceus, Dedenne, Falinks, Exceggutor-Rowlet, Charizard(Leon), Charizard-Reshiram, Giratina-Garchomp and maybe even Energy Crusher for example. I would love to see which decks would get most prominent, what new ideas players bring in...

I personally dislike the idea of banning specific cards unless they have such a warping meta-game effect that's uncounterable, like Arceus & Dialga & Palkia as it doesn't really fix the "problem", there will still be decks that can be just as nasty, with just as much of a lock on the meta by banning cards in this manner. For example, these bans will make some off-meta deck, or maybe a tier 2-3 deck at the moment, become a BDIF just as prominent. This doesn't encourage diversity in the same way players imagine.

The better solution to opening up the format that I see is to give players options against these decks. Now, this doesn't mean hard-countering them necessarily, like printing a card that makes Eternatus VMAX decks discard down to 3 Benched Pokemon. This means giving builders enough options so that they feel their deck could potentially answer the troublesome deck, the stronger the card, the more effective the counter, in a sense. Like how Pokemon Ranger counters Arceus & Dialga & Palkia in Expanded.

Now, I understand it can be very very difficult to find a "fair" counter for some of these cards. However, I think it's worth trying to a degree, as it makes the format much, much more enjoyable to play in.

• Upvote 1

I am one of these new players you talk of, and I've got two from the ladder. Been playing about a month now, a bit less.

It's a good card, but not infallible, and to be honest - they want to put up some really good cards for people to try and play more and get. Something to strive for, and as far as some of the cards go, its basic in terms of power it needs. Rather than needing a multiple colour deck, you can get by with a fire deck alone.

Don't worry chief, it will be fine. It entices new players to play more, and for those who can counter it, it won't be too much of a problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2