Newbie Deck construction: Lugia&Stahlos deck

jojofunky

Hi.

I am new in the Pokemon online card game. 

I wanted to ask for opinions about my self-made deck around Lugia&Stahlos:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Drampa SSH 149
* 2 Hoothoot UNM 165
* 1 Kangaskhan TEU 128
* 1 Lugia DAA 140
* 1 Lugia-GX LOT 159
* 1 Snorlax RCL 141
* 1 Noctowl UNM 166
* 1 Noctowl SSH 144
* 3 Onix UNM 103
* 2 Pancham TEU 81
* 2 Silicobra SSH 107
* 1 Silicobra SSH 108
* 1 Pangoro CEC 120
* 1 Sandaconda SSH 110
* 1 Steelix UNM 104

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 2 Great Ball BCR 129
* 1 Pal Pad SSH 172
* 1 Big Charm SSH 158
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 1 Kabu DAA 163
* 3 Bug Catcher UNM 189
* 2 Energy Switch BLW 94
* 2 Pokémon Catcher SUM 126
* 2 Rocky Helmet BCR 133
* 1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

##Energy - 20

* 1 Capture Energy RCL 171
* 18 Fighting Energy Energy 6
* 1 Draw Energy CEC 209

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I tried it against the bots and it worked out, but looking forward to some tips for optimizing it :D

Thank u in advance :D

The simplest change that I believe will improve your deck greatly would be to cut 6 basic Fighting Energy in exchange for 4 N and 2 Shauna. These are cards that you should start with, and they’ll add a lot more consistency to your deck. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jojofunky said:

Hi.

I am new in the Pokemon online card game. 

I wanted to ask for opinions about my self-made deck around Lugia&Stahlos:

Reveal hidden contents

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Drampa SSH 149
* 2 Hoothoot UNM 165
* 1 Kangaskhan TEU 128
* 1 Lugia DAA 140
* 1 Lugia-GX LOT 159
* 1 Snorlax RCL 141
* 1 Noctowl UNM 166
* 1 Noctowl SSH 144
* 3 Onix UNM 103
* 2 Pancham TEU 81
* 2 Silicobra SSH 107
* 1 Silicobra SSH 108
* 1 Pangoro CEC 120
* 1 Sandaconda SSH 110
* 1 Steelix UNM 104

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 2 Great Ball BCR 129
* 1 Pal Pad SSH 172
* 1 Big Charm SSH 158
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 1 Kabu DAA 163
* 3 Bug Catcher UNM 189
* 2 Energy Switch BLW 94
* 2 Pokémon Catcher SUM 126
* 2 Rocky Helmet BCR 133
* 1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

##Energy - 20

* 18 Fighting Energy Energy 6
* 1 Draw Energy CEC 209

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I tried it against the bots and it worked out, but looking forward to some tips for optimizing it :D

Thank u in advance :D

Hey jojo

You have way too many one's in your deck. Try and not fall into the trap of copying theme deck numbers (if that's what you're doing) i.e. 20 Pokemon , 20 Trainer, 20 Energy.

Here's some small general tips/rule of thumb to keep in mind when creating a deck below. When I get a chance to re-create your deck in-game and swap things around, I'll come back to this and add what I came up with.

• At the max I would not and cannot see a reason to go over 14 Energy (including special energy). Some of my decks have as little as 6 and 8.
  • Generally  I tend to have 30 plus Trainer cards
  • Regarding Pokemon, make sure everything has a purpose that directly contributes to your decks strategy. If your going down the route of evolving up to Stage 2 Pokemon like Charizard, go for a formation in their numbers for example; 4x Charmander, 3x Charmeleon and 3x Charizard. Another example I'll give is that I run 4x Charmander, 1x Charmeleon and 4x Charizard along with 4x Rare Candies in a certain deck that I made. That deck centers around, you guessed it, getting multiple Charizards out as fast as possible.

Hope these small tips and bits help you out. Any questions, don't be shy.

EDIT:

So I re-created your deck in-game however I completely changed everything in it - in otherwords I made a deck. Short story is you need more cards if your thinking of playing PVP. I first attempted to make a deck around the Lugia-GX however having seen the rest of your deck, I presumed your a new player and have only got one Lugia-GX via the rewards ladder. Then it sunk in that you probably wouldn't have any of the other cards I was gonna suggest.

So instead of showing what I came up with, I'll instead suggest that you start collecting much more cards. To do that I suggest playing themed matches growing your collection. I'll post a response I made to someone earlier this week that has general useful advice for new players (again, presuming that you are).

On 3/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, GrimBeard said:
On 1/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, GrimBeard said:

Hiya. Cards and booster packs that have a lock icon on them cannot be traded. You can only trade non-locked cards/packs. Tbh I suggest you as a new player ignore trading for the time being until you have a sizable collection of tradable cards and tradable booster packs (depending on the card/s needed/wanted 30 packs minimum).

General beginner tips would be:

1. Do the Trainer Challenges.
  2. Save your coins until you have 500.  You will need 500 coins so you can buy/unlock a good Theme Deck (I'am assuming you don't have one). I have pasted at the bottom of my reply what I consider the best theme decks to use. I suggest unlocking them all and trying them all until you know each decks strengths and weaknesses.
  3. Earn in-game rewards (the versus ladder, trainer challenges and logging into the game once a day etc).
  4. Use Tickets to enter Theme Format tournaments. When you feel ready and competent during matches with your newly acquired theme deck/s enter the Themed Event tournaments to earn tradable booster packs and coins.

From there you can then start thinking (sorry if that reads cheeky, it's not meant to) of trading and where to go next. Maybe you then want to start trading the booster packs you have unlocked in the event tournaments you have acquired as above, they are tradable. Perhaps you want to start deck building to have a deck to use in Standard and/or Extended mode. 

Top 3 Decks that are consistent is - in order:

1. Soaring Storm
  2. Relentless Flame
  3. Laser Focus

Best decks in each class:

• Zamazenta (metal)
  • Unseen Depths (water)
  • Towering Heights (fighting)
  • Storm Caller (lightning) 
  • Rillaboom (grass)
  • Relentless Flame (fire)
  • None (fairy - no I'am not joking)
  • Laser Focus (psychic) 

Honorable Mentions:

• Blazing Volcano
  • Tropical Takedown
  • Twilight Rogue

I know it might be tempting and counter-intuitive but I also suggest that you also don't open any unlocked tradable boosters that you earn from tournaments. Instead use these tradable boosters as your trading currency. Feel free to open the locked boosters.

If you are going to trade or plan on making your own deck in the future, try and get into the habit of marking your cards, boosters etc for trade via the collection tab and also mark them as wanted. It'll save you a lot of time in the future if you start doing this from the start.

Edited by GrimBeard
Changing a censored word. Updating.
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the  informations.  :D

On 3/6/2021 at 9:57 PM, ellomello044208 said:

The simplest change that I believe will improve your deck greatly would be to cut 6 basic Fighting Energy in exchange for 4 N and 2 Shauna. These are cards that you should start with, and they’ll add a lot more consistency to your deck. 

Yes I orientated at theme decks and used the deck wizard.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:50 AM, GrimBeard said:

Hey jojo

You have way too many one's in your deck. Try and not fall into the trap of copying theme deck numbers (if that's what you're doing) i.e. 20 Pokemon , 20 Trainer, 20 Energy.

Here's some small general tips/rule of thumb to keep in mind when creating a deck below. When I get a chance to re-create your deck in-game and swap things around, I'll come back to this and add what I came up with.

• At the max I would not and cannot see a reason to go over 14 Energy (including special energy). Some of my decks have as little as 6 and 8.
  • Generally  I tend to have 30 plus Trainer cards
  • Regarding Pokemon, make sure everything has a purpose that directly contributes to your decks strategy. If your going down the route of evolving up to Stage 2 Pokemon like Charizard, go for a formation in their numbers for example; 4x Charmander, 3x Charmeleon and 3x Charizard. Another example I'll give is that I run 4x Charmander, 1x Charmeleon and 4x Charizard along with 4x Rare Candies in a certain deck that I made. That deck centers around, you guessed it, getting multiple Charizards out as fast as possible.

Hope these small tips and bits help you out. Any questions, don't be shy.

EDIT:

So I re-created your deck in-game however I completely changed everything in it - in otherwords I made a deck. Short story is you need more cards if your thinking of playing PVP. I first attempted to make a deck around the Lugia-GX however having seen the rest of your deck, I presumed your a new player and have only got one Lugia-GX via the rewards ladder. Then it sunk in that you probably wouldn't have any of the other cards I was gonna suggest.

So instead of showing what I came up with, I'll instead suggest that you start collecting much more cards. To do that I suggest playing themed matches growing your collection. I'll post a response I made to someone earlier this week that has general useful advice for new players (again, presuming that you are).

This was very informative and helpful.  I followed your theme deck suggestions and played around with one.

Following your advice, I changed the deck a lot, its not Lugia& fight any more, its Lugia&Mewtwo:

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Audino UNM 177
* 1 Eevee HIF 49
* 1 Eevee CEC 167
* 1 Lugia DAA 140
* 1 Lugia-GX LOT 159
* 2 Alolan Grimer UNM 127
* 1 Latias & Latios-GX TEU 113
* 1 Dedenne UNM 145
* 2 Mesprit UNM 84
* 1 Mewtwo-GX HIF 31
* 2 Necrozma UNM 101
* 1 Rotom CEC 86
* 2 Espeon LOT 89

##Trainer Cards - 26

* 1 Great Potion UNM 198
* 1 Viridian Forest TEU 156
* 2 Great Ball BCR 129
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
* 1 Pal Pad SSH 172
* 2 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 1 Revive ROS 88
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Bede SSH 157
* 2 Energy Switch HS 91

##Energy - 17

* 10 Psychic Energy Energy 5
* 3 Water Energy Energy 3
* 2 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 1 Draw Energy CEC 209

Total Cards - 60

Its maybe still little bit messy with trainer cards and Pokemon. :D

If you are motivated @GrimBeard, maybe you can show the change in the deck and comment the idea behind it?