Newbie questions

Vanessagdyn

Hello!

I'm just starting out in Pokémon TCG online and I have some questions.

1. I'm playing trainer challenge, but I noticed I only have 3 basic decks (fire/electric and water). I was wondering, how do I get another basic deck, like grass?

2. I would like to train by playing against other people. I did some versus but I always end up with stronger players. How can I, as a beginner, play against other people with the same 'level of experience' or same basic decks?

Thank you so much! 

I played pokémon on gameboy, switch and stuff and it is fun to get to know the TCG. :) 

• Like 3

1. You can buy more theme decks with trainer tokens in the shop tab of the game. Commonly recommended decks are Relentless Flame and Soaring Storm, though there are some other good decks too (and if you want to complete the Trainer Challenge type challenges, there are theme decks for every type. The Fairy one will probably be the hardest to win with, since fairy type is no longer being printed and the theme decks with Fairy Pokemon in them are older)

2. You should start out PvP by playing theme deck matches. Again, I recommend Relentless Flame or Soaring Storm to have a fighting chance against other theme deck players.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Vanessagdyn said:

Hello!

I'm just starting out in Pokémon TCG online...

Hello and welcome 😁

4 hours ago, Vanessagdyn said:

... and I have some questions.

1. I'm playing trainer challenge, but I noticed I only have 3 basic decks (fire/electric and water). I was wondering, how do I get another basic deck, like grass?

2. I would like to train by playing against other people. I did some versus but I always end up with stronger players. How can I, as a beginner, play against other people with the same 'level of experience' or same basic decks?

I'll post below some general tips that I consider really useful to know - I may be reiterating @ZanPokeymantips/advice so apologies for any waffle. 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, GrimBeard said:

Hiya. Cards and booster packs that have a lock icon on them cannot be traded. You can only trade non-locked cards/packs. Tbh I suggest you as a new player ignore trading for the time being until you have a sizable collection of tradable cards and tradable booster packs (depending on the card/s needed/wanted 30 packs minimum).

General beginner tips would be:

1. Do the Trainer Challenges.
  2. Save your coins until you have 500.  You will need 500 coins so you can buy/unlock a good Theme Deck (I'am assuming you don't have one). I have pasted at the bottom of my reply what I consider the best theme decks to use. I suggest unlocking them all and trying them all until you know each decks strengths and weaknesses.
  3. Earn in-game rewards (the versus ladder, trainer challenges and logging into the game once a day etc).
  4. Use Tickets to enter Theme Format tournaments. When you feel ready and competent during matches with your newly acquired theme deck/s enter the Themed Event tournaments to earn tradable booster packs and coins.

From there you can then start thinking (sorry if that reads cheeky, it's not meant to) of trading and where to go next. Maybe you then want to start trading the booster packs you have unlocked in the event tournaments you have acquired as above, they are tradable. Perhaps you want to start deck building to have a deck to use in Standard and/or Extended mode. 

Top 3 Decks that are consistent is - in order:

1. Soaring Storm
  2. Relentless Flame
  3. Laser Focus

Best decks in each class:

• Zamazenta (metal)
  • Unseen Depths (water)
  • Towering Heights (fighting)
  • Storm Caller (lightning) 
  • Rillaboom (grass)
  • Relentless Flame (fire)
  • None (fairy - no I'am not joking)
  • Laser Focus (psychic) 

Honorable Mentions:

• Blazing Volcano
  • Tropical Takedown
  • Twilight Rogue

I know it might be tempting and counter-intuitive but I also suggest that you also don't open any unlocked tradable boosters that you earn from tournaments. Instead use these tradable boosters as your trading currency. Feel free to open the locked boosters.

If you are going to trade or plan on making your own deck in the future, try and get into the habit of marking your cards, boosters etc for trade via the collection tab and also mark them as wanted. It'll save you a lot of time in the future if you start doing this from the start.

Edited by GrimBeard
Adding a sentence or two.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Vanessagdyn said:

@GrimBeard Thank you so much! This is a very good expanation and guide. I'm now starting to save up for those decks. 

No prob. All the best and goodluck 😁