Suggestion: More and Updated AI Matches

ZanPokeyman

I do enjoy PvP, but sometimes I'd rather just fight the AI instead. The problem with that in PTCGO is that the current AI matches are super easy when using new theme decks, and that I've gotten all the good prizes from them ages ago. So, here's a list of ideas I have to update the AI battles and make that part of the game more interesting, both for new and more experienced players:

-Build-your own deck matches VS AI: This could be a mode where the AI has powerful meta decks, and the goal is to beat the AI with your custom deck. Seeing as you can only fight the AI with pre-made decks unless in deck testing mode (more on this in the next point), this would be a lot of fun.

-Deck testing VS AI with custom deck: This would be an update to the deck-testing mode where you give the AI one of your own, complete decks, and the AI would use it against the deck you choose. No prizes for this mode, but it would be a good way to test matchups for PvP.

-"Situation battles": This mode would be similar to the battle disks in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. For those who haven't played Pokemon: XD, I'll explain. Basically, you get set up in a Pokemon battle where you have set Pokemon, and so does your AI opponent. The goal is to figure out a good strategy with the given situation in order to win in a certain number of turns, and each battle disk has a reward when first completed. How does this translate to PTCGO? Well, the idea is that in this mode, you are sent into a match with an AI opponent with a certain deck, while you also have a certain deck. The goal would be to figure out what strategy your deck is using, and to play your deck in a way where you can beat the AI opponent in a given number of turns. I think this would be good critical thinking practice, and a good way to teach new players strategies, while also a way to create a challenge for some of the more experienced players in the later levels of this mode.

-Event AI opponents: This idea I admit I got from another topic here, but I figured I'd re-state it because it was a cool idea. Every so often, an AI opponent with a powerful deck would appear, and the goal would be to beat them with either a pre-constructed, less powerful deck (for challenge) or your own deck that you made. Maybe there could be an option of either, and you get a better reward if you choose the pre-constructed one (or maybe if you beat them with your own custom deck, you get a locked reward, and if you beat them with a weaker pre-constructed deck, you get an unlocked reward). The reward could be a limited-time offer as well, or just some booster packs or trainer tokens.

That's what I could come up with, feel free to share any other ideas or suggest improvements to mine.

8 hours ago, ZanPokeyman said:

-Build-your own deck matches VS AI: This could be a mode where the AI has powerful meta decks, and the goal is to beat the AI with your custom deck. Seeing as you can only fight the AI with pre-made decks unless in deck testing mode (more on this in the next point), this would be a lot of fun.

When we buy a theme deck we have the opportunity to earn a booster pack after 12 wins in the trainer challenge. In a custom deck challenge you could be "locked into" your custom deck for a 12 match run that you cannot modify during the challenge. You would then be facing the different trainers in City league to complete since that level often makes better choices. (In gold league Juji plays aero turn with no benched  Pokémon) The prize could be random locked pack, tokens, or maybe game play items like boxes sleeves or coins.

9 hours ago, ZanPokeyman said:

-Deck testing VS AI with custom deck: This would be an update to the deck-testing mode where you give the AI one of your own, complete decks, and the AI would use it against the deck you choose. No prizes for this mode, but it would be a good way to test matchups for PvP.

This would be really cool. Sometimes I make a deck that looks good but then get blown away in short order. By being able to play against our own deck we can see if it was really the harmony of the deck that is the problem or if it was just me.

In addition It would be able to test a deck with unowned cards. So often I have made trades to get specific cards and then ended up leaving them out since I found a better option. On occasion I worked at finding good trade deals on popular cards and then never used them in the final deck. If we could make a deck with cards that we don't own to test against AI we can see if we really want to go to the expense of making the trade for a card we really didn't need. If you make a deck that you do like the cards go on the "Wanted" list just like when you copy an opponent's deck.

Some people have complained about the grind of playing the trainer challenge for a pack but I like the fact that there is no time limit. I buy a few theme decks and use them for fill in when I am not ready to focus but want to pass some time. If I am on hold while placing and order on the phone or waiting for a customer to come in I can play a few cards here and there. If I need to get up to help someone I don't have the urgency to return before the 30 second timer comes up an counts me down.

11 hours ago, ZanPokeyman said:

I do enjoy PvP, but sometimes I'd rather just fight the AI instead. The problem with that in PTCGO is that the current AI matches are super easy when using new theme decks, and that I've gotten all the good prizes from them ages ago. So, here's a list of ideas I have to update the AI battles and make that part of the game more interesting, both for new and more experienced players:

-"Situation battles": This mode would be similar to the battle disks in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. For those who haven't played Pokemon: XD, I'll explain. Basically, you get set up in a Pokemon battle where you have set Pokemon, and so does your AI opponent. The goal is to figure out a good strategy with the given situation in order to win in a certain number of turns, and each battle disk has a reward when first completed. How does this translate to PTCGO? Well, the idea is that in this mode, you are sent into a match with an AI opponent with a certain deck, while you also have a certain deck. The goal would be to figure out what strategy your deck is using, and to play your deck in a way where you can beat the AI opponent in a given number of turns. I think this would be good critical thinking practice, and a good way to teach new players strategies, while also a way to create a challenge for some of the more experienced players in the later levels of this mode.

-Event AI opponents: This idea I admit I got from another topic here, but I figured I'd re-state it because it was a cool idea. Every so often, an AI opponent with a powerful deck would appear, and the goal would be to beat them with either a pre-constructed, less powerful deck (for challenge) or your own deck that you made. Maybe there could be an option of either, and you get a better reward if you choose the pre-constructed one (or maybe if you beat them with your own custom deck, you get a locked reward, and if you beat them with a weaker pre-constructed deck, you get an unlocked reward). The reward could be a limited-time offer as well, or just some booster packs or trainer tokens.

That's what I could come up with, feel free to share any other ideas or suggest improvements to mine.

Hello @ZanPokeyman

Thank you for sharing your multiple ideas with the forums! 

I'm passing them along to the development team for further review. 

2 hours ago, Wolfman_11 said:

When we buy a theme deck we have the opportunity to earn a booster pack after 12 wins in the trainer challenge. In a custom deck challenge you could be "locked into" your custom deck for a 12 match run that you cannot modify during the challenge. You would then be facing the different trainers in City league to complete since that level often makes better choices. (In gold league Juji plays aero turn with no benched  Pokémon) The prize could be random locked pack, tokens, or maybe game play items like boxes sleeves or coins.

This would be really cool. Sometimes I make a deck that looks good but then get blown away in short order. By being able to play against our own deck we can see if it was really the harmony of the deck that is the problem or if it was just me.

In addition It would be able to test a deck with unowned cards. So often I have made trades to get specific cards and then ended up leaving them out since I found a better option. On occasion I worked at finding good trade deals on popular cards and then never used them in the final deck. If we could make a deck with cards that we don't own to test against AI we can see if we really want to go to the expense of making the trade for a card we really didn't need. If you make a deck that you do like the cards go on the "Wanted" list just like when you copy an opponent's deck.

Some people have complained about the grind of playing the trainer challenge for a pack but I like the fact that there is no time limit. I buy a few theme decks and use them for fill in when I am not ready to focus but want to pass some time. If I am on hold while placing and order on the phone or waiting for a customer to come in I can play a few cards here and there. If I need to get up to help someone I don't have the urgency to return before the 30 second timer comes up an counts me down.

Hello @Wolfman_11

Thank you too! Your opinion adds value to the suggestion.

@Wolfman_11 Thanks for adding on to my suggestion!

I think being able to fight against custom AI decks with cards you don't have would be a good idea, for example celebi prime is very expensive, and if I just wanted a Virizion/Genesect deck to test out fighting against and not play, it would be nice to be able to give the CPU that card without owning it for testing purposes.