Wobbuffet just insta-applied 18 damage counters and 1 hit KO'd me. Where did 18 counters come from?

emeinz

This is one of those moves that just has me seething. I cannot figure it out. This person attached a second energy onto Wobbuffet, then they brought 2 pokemon to their bench. After that, they used Gritty comeback for the first time on my Mew V which somehow added 18 damage counters at once. No counters were in the game prior to this attack, none of his benched or stadium cards said anything about creating counters. Gamelog says entry

#105: "(opponent) put Meltan onto the Bench."

#106: "(my) Mew V had 18 damage counter put on it from Gritty comeback" 

#107: " (opponent) Wubbuffett V prevented Gritty comeback"

#108: "(my) Mew V was knocked out. Hit a 220 or 300 something. Can't remember. One hit KO on my Mew V (180HP no weakness to Wobbuffet).

How would it be possible to inflict 18 damage counters in one move.... There were no cards/stadiums/abilities in the game that could've created counters. So where did the 18 come from. 

• Downvote 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, PinkyPockyPanda said:

have you read Wobbuffet V's skill "Gritty comeback"?

it tranfered dmg from Wob to your Mew.

I mean he wrote "No counters were in the game prior to this attack", so based on that it really seems very strange. The game log would be helpful, guess without it it'll be pretty impossible to figure that situation out.

But I think those four lines are altogether even weirder than initially explained - like what does "Wubbuffett V prevented Gritty comeback" mean? If Mew already had received 18dmg counters, it would have been already dead, first of all (without certain items at least) - so why (and how) would the opponent's Wobbuffet prevent an attack (from Mew...?)?

1 hour ago, Chrolo4 said:

I mean he wrote "No counters were in the game prior to this attack", so based on that it really seems very strange. The game log would be helpful, guess without it it'll be pretty impossible to figure that situation out.

But I think those four lines are altogether even weirder than initially explained - like what does "Wubbuffett V prevented Gritty comeback" mean? If Mew already had received 18dmg counters, it would have been already dead, first of all (without certain items at least) - so why (and how) would the opponent's Wobbuffet prevent an attack (from Mew...?)?

hmm. . re-read the post, it seem strange. Unfortunately, he probably not return to give any more detail.

if I got my hand on wobbuffet v, I will try to see what might have happened.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:33 AM, OelBoy said:

It would be helpful if you could provide the whole log. Otherwise we just have to assume you missed something.

It is good practice to keep as much of a record as possible when experiencing a problem.

Copy the game log to a text document. Copy your deck list to a document, and if your opponent has deck sharing on, open it in deck manager and copy that list too.

Once you have it to look over and there still is a real problem that is not just an oversight you can submit a ticket for review.

Pokémon is quick to respond and will either explain the situation or thank you for reporting a bug.

Edited by Wolfman_11
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 9:15 PM, emeinz said:

#105: "(opponent) put Meltan onto the Bench."

#106: "(my) Mew V had 18 damage counter put on it from Gritty comeback" 

#107: " (opponent) Wubbuffett V prevented Gritty comeback"

#108: "(my) Mew V was knocked out. Hit a 220 or 300 something. Can't remember. One hit KO on my Mew V (180HP no weakness to Wobbuffet).

Yes, this does seem odd. A larger log report would probably shed better light on things. I use both Wobbuffet V and Mew V in my psychic deck. The only way Wobbuffet V would have been able to put any damage counters on Mew V, with the gritty comeback attack, would be if Wobbuffet V already had damage counters on it. However, as you stated "their were no damage counters on the field". If this was the case then it would have been impossible for Wobbuffet V to use gritty comeback to switch any damage. Furthermore, Mew V doesn't have a gritty comeback attack or any attack that can duplicate another pokemons attack. Which makes the Wobbuffet V preventing gritty comeback portion of the battle log even more puzzling. If everything said is accurate then only possible answer would be a bug and submitting a ticket about it would be best solution to have it looked into and/ or fixed.