Worst Ladder rewards ever

nekoshounen

I have to say that the latest ladder rewards have to be the worst ones I've ever had the displeasure  of experiencing. Yes we get packs from a good expanded set (enjoy everyone trying their new hypnotoxic lasers) seems nice but since they're tradelocked nobody is going to be getting enough copies of anyone of the decent cards from that set. Only way would be to waste our tokens on more.

Giving us packs for a format that TPCi is barely doing anything with right now, feels like a slight slap in the face imo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Last time I checked Pokemon Company, Regice (Resistance Blizzard), and Jolteon EX weren't a thing anymore, so please explain yourselves on that OP Pokemon Ranger.

We've had plently of bad ladders, and lots like this one, but when you have one where neither the GX or Full art offers any kind of saving grace, it's pretty rough.

20 day vacation starting now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am rather happy about the new ladder (at least more happy than I was with the last few) because I play mostly Legacy and Expanded as I find Standard too stale right now. Pokemon Ranger is a great card and having a Full Art of it seems worth earning 2k points. Also Dowsing Machine + a few nice potential holo Legacy staples in the boosters make it worth it for me (even though I probably wouldn't trade off my unlocked Machine anyways) and I don't really like Vivid Voltage that much as a set.

But I can definitely see me being part of the minority here. Lugia-GX, I agree, feels pretty "face-slappy".

I'd like to take the opportunity to suggest split ladders again: Every rotation you could pick from Legacy, Expanded and Standard and have a ladder geared towards the respective format.

Or even have a single ladder but every Booster and Card prize you reach you're able to pick between a Legacy, Expanded or Standard prize. Giving people some more variety to choose from could really mitigate the "3-weeks forced vacation feeling".

Edited by OelBoy
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, nekoshounen said:

I have to say that the latest ladder rewards have to be the worst ones I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Same.

4 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

20 day vacation starting now.

Same.

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

I find Standard too stale right now...

...and I don't really like Vivid Voltage that much as a set. But I can definitely see me being part of the minority here. Lugia-GX, I agree, feels pretty "face-slappy".

Same.

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

I'd like to take the opportunity to suggest split ladders again: Every rotation you could pick from Legacy, Expanded and Standard and have a ladder geared towards the respective format.

Or even have a single a single ladder but every Booster and Card prize you reach you're able to pick between a Legacy, Expanded or Standard prize. Giving people some more variety to choose from could really mitigate the "3-weeks forced vacation feeling".

Love these ideas.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

Or even have a single a single ladder but every Booster and Card prize you reach you're able to pick between a Legacy, Expanded or Standard prize. Giving people some more variety to choose from could really mitigate the "3-weeks forced vacation feeling".

Totally agree with this point, I was just thinking the same a few hours after I made this post.

Edit: 

Pokemon Ranger is a great card and having a Full Art of it seems worth earning 2k points

I'm sure I've played a previous ladder with a  FA Pokemon Ranger, so I already have one, and I play a lot of Expanded, and I've not since I've come back once thought "I'll tech in a Pokemon Ranger" the meta doesn't require it

Edited by nekoshounen
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, nekoshounen said:

I have to say that the latest ladder rewards have to be the worst ones I've ever had the displeasure  of experiencing. Yes we get packs from a good expanded set (enjoy everyone trying their new hypnotoxic lasers) seems nice but since they're tradelocked nobody is going to be getting enough copies of anyone of the decent cards from that set. Only way would be to waste our tokens on more.

Giving us packs for a format that TPCi is barely doing anything with right now, feels like a slight slap in the face imo.

Hello @nekoshounen

Thank you for sharing your point of view on the latest ladder rewards with the forum. 

47 minutes ago, nekoshounen said:

[...] I've not since I've come back once thought "I'll tech in a Pokemon Ranger" the meta doesn't require it

You're right, Ranger right now is a d***ed if you do, *amn** if you don't card. In tournaments I sometimes could really need a Ranger but if I have one in deck it's mostly a dead card.

We'll see, as soon as the next ADP comes around I might be thankful.

Edited by OelBoy

Just now, OelBoy said:

You're right, Ranger right now is ******** if you do, ****** if you don't card. In tournaments I sometimes could really need a Ranger but if I have one in deck it's mostly a dead card.

We'll see, as soon as the next ADP comes around I might be thankful.

Don't get me wrong it's a great card that can deal with super oppressive decks that show their faces for a while before a card from that combo eventually gets banned, but my underlying point was that we should be given cards that are worth using right now, but this clearly shows that TCPi is not paying attention to Expanded by giving us a super MEH card for the meta and a GX that I would probably avoid putting in my deck even if it was the only GX I owned  I think @WingsofFire1014 said it best:

5 hours ago, WingsofFire1014 said:

... but when you have one where neither the GX or Full art offers any kind of saving grace, it's pretty rough.

17 minutes ago, Mod_GuruLot said:

Hello @nekoshounen

Thank you for sharing your point of view on the latest ladder rewards with the forum. 

Not a problem, I've never felt the need to address the ladder rewards, and I've felt underwhelmed sometimes before, but I do think that there needs to be some thought behind the cards we're given for our 'work'. 

• Downvote 1

ADP is used enough in expanded that warrants it as a tech card in some decks, such as mad party. Jolteon-EX is still a thing with Mew & Mewtwo, plus they also have Noivern-GX. You're getting packs (of a good set, even - this isn't emerging powers) for 0 tokens, plus more tokens to buy more packs or save for battle styles. If you want Virbank and other stuff, then you gotta do what everyone else does: save your tokens instead of buying a vivid voltage pack as soon as your balance reaches 200 coins, or trade for it. Expanded at least has a big playerbase and still has tournaments (including community ones on limitless) and ladder rewards. This helps players get into the format.

And Lugia actually sees play. A 1-of in a wall stall. Sure beats Eevee & Snorlax TT in usage afaik. As far as ladders go, this one is actually pretty decent.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

can we just get more Ladders with XY packs? I think we can all agree they use BW packs too often in expanded ladders.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rsmithzesty said:

can we just get more Ladders with XY packs?

XY Evolutions? - No thank you. I personally can't use them in decks. They're too weak.