Next Expansion

Chrolo4

First, sorry to open the topic here (I didn't see a good spot elsewhere).

I wanted to ask when the next expansion will launch (February 19th?) and WHICH expansion it is. Will we get Shining Fates (I hope so!) or do we get Single/Rapid Strike? Thanks for answering :)

For the record, you can get this information from the official website, pokemon.com.  I'm happy to help, but that way you don't have to wait... 14-15 hours for an answer. ;)

Shining Fates releases next Friday, on February 19.

Battle Styles releases March 19.

Shining Fates is a "bonus" expansion, not part of our usual quarterly releases.  It has some new cards, but a lot are reprints, though not exact re-releases.  You know, same everything but new set number and new art.  Except for the stuff in the Shiny Vault subset.  Just like with the previous Shiny Vault subset, the cards contained are considered "Alternate" printings, treated as if they released in the same set as the originals.  I don't know if I can make this more clear, as even I still find this confusing. XD

Battle Styles is (mostly) made from the Japanese Single Strike Master and Rapid Strike Master expansions.  Which, for the record, is standard operating procedure anymore; Japan gets two smaller, simultaneously released sets that basically go together the way Pokémon video games do, but we just get them together in a single set.  Battle Styles should have released in February as our usual, quarterly set.  However, due to the pandemic, they had to delay it a month.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot!!

Yes I knew most cards are reprints, but of course we all love Shinies 😃 I looked through the Single/Rapid Strike Set and felt like there are many 'boring' cards which players will most likely not use. More than recently.

I kind of got the idea behind the system, but I'd prefer every country to have the same sets. It's always a little confusing to google the expansion sets this way 😅

There is one card in Shining Fates that will most likely prove good: Rusty Sword.  I think Ditto VMAX has some chops as well, and a few others might have lesser roles in decks, but still see some success.

"Boring" isn't the question for competitive play: efficacy or competitiveness is.  Sometimes very boring card are still quite strong. ;)  That doesn't mean the set couldn't be a dud, but I want to be clear; about 80% of most sets are filler.  At least, for the competitive portion of the TCG.  For reasons I won't get into, while I probably glanced through all the Japanese cards, and have watched videos on them, I won't serious sit through the set evaluating Battle Styles until I have the English set list.  At which point I'll begin working on my Top 15 list.  So... it could be an overhyped set.  There are already a handful of cards that seem pretty great to me, so I doubt it.

Edited by Otakutron

Only thing I’m wanting from shining fates is ditto vmax and eevee vmax and don’t forget while shining fates is the next expansion it won’t be available to by them in game store like u will be able to with battle styles that shining fates is only available through entering codes from packs 

Shining Fates can't be bought individually...

...But it still comes with an improved version of theme decks: V Battle Decks... And the usual two to boot, only these two decks feature Pokémon-Vs, one for each: First, Venusaur V, and two, Blastoise V...

As a result, I wonder if the old Theme is getting reconfigured by the power of the aforementioned single Pokémon-V(s).

^ If so, a Friday Shop activation is still necessary, if only just for those V battle decks, which are decks that may look like a good idea on paper, until you find out the details in the V Pokémon's rule box, which could be a detriment when it comes to the extra post-knockout prize card, which makes it a bad idea on the players' end if not for the power creep factor that is responsible for the current need to change the Theme structure to keep up with the two or three other formats...

^ Then again, if they don't count as Theme decks per se, I wonder if the shining fates update is the end of the line for theme deck tournaments, meaning all theme decks will become ladder-only(which is the same status as Legacy format today), making it harder to get the cards we want by forcing us to either buy the packs physically to get codes for tradable packs, or, worst of all, get lucky enough to get them in locked form then using the locked cards in tourneys to get tradeable packs. Since packs can be currency for the cards we want, ditching theme and 4-ticket tournaments using pre-made newbie decks in favor of forcing people to pay up or get lucky to play might not be a smart move... :(

Edited by Jammer87

On 2/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, Otakutron said:

For the record, you can get this information from the official website, pokemon.com.  I'm happy to help, but that way you don't have to wait... 14-15 hours for an answer. ;)

Shining Fates is a "bonus" expansion, not part of our usual quarterly releases.  It has some new cards, but a lot are reprints, though not exact re-releases.  You know, same everything but new set number and new art.  Except for the stuff in the Shiny Vault subset.  Just like with the previous Shiny Vault subset, the cards contained are considered "Alternate" printings, treated as if they released in the same set as the originals.  I don't know if I can make this more clear, as even I still find this confusing. XD

Battle Styles is (mostly) made from the Japanese Single Strike Master and Rapid Strike Master expansions.  Which, for the record, is standard operating procedure anymore; Japan gets two smaller, simultaneously released sets that basically go together the way Pokémon video games do, but we just get them together in a single set.  Battle Styles should have released in February as our usual, quarterly set.  However, due to the pandemic, they had to delay it a month.

Hope that helps!

One thing I feel should be mentioned is that the pandemic only plays a small part in the change in release structure, other Pokémon fansites have known about this change (and that we’re getting ANOTHER special set in August though November) since October and they attribute it more towards TPCi wanting to celebrate Pokémon’s 25th Anniversary.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:16 PM, Otakutron said:

Hope that helps!

Some Cards have been moved from one set (Shining Fates) to another (Battle Styles) i.e. Marnie SR FA and I think some reprints of Promos have also been moved from Champion's Path to Shining Fates,  but this isn't uncommon for TPCi to do either

9 hours ago, Jammer87 said:

Shining Fates can't be bought individually...

...But it still comes with an improved version of theme decks: V Battle Decks... And the usual two to boot, only these two decks feature Pokémon-Vs, one for each: First, Venusaur V, and two, Blastoise V...

As a result, I wonder if the old Theme is getting reconfigured by the power of the aforementioned single Pokémon-V(s).

^ If so, a Friday Shop activation is still necessary, if only just for those V battle decks, which are decks that may look like a good idea on paper, until you find out the details in the V Pokémon's rule box, which could be a detriment when it comes to the extra post-knockout prize card, which makes it a bad idea on the players' end if not for the power creep factor that is responsible for the current need to change the Theme structure to keep up with the two or three other formats...

^ Then again, if they don't count as Theme decks per se, I wonder if the shining fates update is the end of the line for theme deck tournaments, meaning all theme decks will become ladder-only(which is the same status as Legacy format today), making it harder to get the cards we want by forcing us to either buy the packs physically to get codes for tradable packs, or, worst of all, get lucky enough to get them in locked form then using the locked cards in tourneys to get tradeable packs. Since packs can be currency for the cards we want, ditching theme and 4-ticket tournaments using pre-made newbie decks in favor of forcing people to pay up or get lucky to play might not be a smart move... :(

They've released Battle Decks before (Zacian V most recently) and they've never counted as Theme decks before because they're way OP, so I'd say these won't count either 

14 hours ago, grriffinn said:

One thing I feel should be mentioned is that the pandemic only plays a small part in the change in release structure, other Pokémon fansites have known about this change (and that we’re getting ANOTHER special set in August though November) since October and they attribute it more towards TPCi wanting to celebrate Pokémon’s 25th Anniversary.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or you're misunderstanding me.

We get bonus sets most years.  The specific bonus sets we're getting this year are certainly going to celebrate the anniversary.

The pandemic is why Battle Styles is releasing in March instead of February.  I don't have time to look for it, but that is from an official announcement.

2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

We get bonus sets most years.  The specific bonus sets we're getting this year are certainly going to celebrate the anniversary.

The pandemic is why Battle Styles is releasing in March instead of February.  I don't have time to look for it, but that is from an official announcement.

Hello @Otakutron

Thank you for bringing some light to this. 

Here is the official announcement link that proves what you mentioned if this helps.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, darkness018 said:

and don’t forget while shining fates is the next expansion it won’t be available to by them in game store like u will be able to with battle styles that shining fates is only available through entering codes from packs 

This is honestly such a bummer to me.... feels like I saved all these coins and Tokens for nothing 

Didn't play the game for 4 years, so I couldn't expect TWO bonus sets without available booster-packs in such a short time...

I guess we also can't get boosters by winning Tournaments then?

On 2/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, Otakutron said:

I won't serious sit through the set evaluating Battle Styles until I have the English set list.  At which point I'll begin working on my Top 15 list.  So... it could be an overhyped set.  There are already a handful of cards that seem pretty great to me, so I doubt it.

Hehe okay, I'll have to wait for this one then. Of course 80% are fillers, but we always hope to get our hands on some of the non-fillers :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrolo4 said:

This is honestly such a bummer to me.... feels like I saved all these coins and Tokens for nothing 

Didn't play the game for 4 years, so I couldn't expect TWO bonus sets without available booster-packs in such a short time...

Hehe okay, I'll have to wait for this one then. Of course 80% are fillers, but we always hope to get our hands on some of the non-fillers :D

If it’s like hidden fates then no u won’t be able to get them from tournaments either that shining Fates is only through entering codes from physical packs or trading for them through the game trades

7 hours ago, Chrolo4 said:

Battle styles is only 1 month away after Shining Fates I’m sure your tokens/ coins will keep, and this expansions is pretty much a bunch of reprints anyways

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:56 AM, Otakutron said:

On 2/16/2021 at 10:33 AM, Mod_GuruLot said:

Hello @Otakutron

Thank you for bringing some light to this. 

Here is the official announcement link that proves what you mentioned if this helps.

I’m not seeing anything in that announcement mentioning the pandemic being the reason for the delay, all I’m seeing is that it’s coming out in March.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:28 PM, grriffinn said:

I’m not seeing anything in that announcement mentioning the pandemic being the reason for the delay, all I’m seeing is that it’s coming out in March.

Notice how only one of those posts are by me. ;)

I haven't had time to spend digging for that post, and I confess this is pretty low priority for me.  Feel free to look for it yourself, and let me know if you do or don't find it.  Feel free to cite the announcement where it was specified as being because of the anniversary, if you have that handy.  I do get things wrong, after all.

Without even looking for that post, though, I can cite almost 10 years of TCG history.  That is how long it has been since the February/May/August/November schedule for quarterly releases wasn't followed, specifically when Black & White released on April 25th, 2011.  As all the May releases since that time have been in the first week of May, I'm not sure if that should even count: at most it is a week early.  If you allow a week in either direction, then the quarterly schedule is good all the way back to the release of EX - Hidden Legends on June 14 of 2004.

So... super strict, and they didn't shift it for the 20th anniversary or 10th anniversary, and at most bumped it up by a week for the 15th anniversary in 2011.  Though, IIRC, it was to better coincide with Black & White, but that one really is a vague memory, so I won't be surprised it that is wrong. XP  There were no "bonus sets" in 2011, unless you count two Trainer Kits or the McDonald's promos from that year.  Giving just a week (usually only a few days) grace one way or the other, then TPCi has managed to keep the quarterly release schedule for nearly 17 years.  It is also worth noting that EX - Hidden Legends is also only the fifth set released post WotC.  I'm not even sure if TPCi was TPCi at that point! XD

Edited by Otakutron