Can't I use more than 4 decks that are expanded in versus? shame

Ultraxis

I'm unable to use more than 4 decks in versus that are expanded. I want to use my dark and fire deck aswell and custom deck with heartgold & soulsilver cards doesn't work in versus online. Can use Typhlosion only in theme deck. Is there any way around ? Some time back I recall being able to use more than 4 decks in expanded

Cards only found in the HGSS era are excluded from the Expanded format as it is "only" comprised of all sets from BW onwards.

In addition to the set legality there also is a ban list of cards you must not use. (You can read more about banned cards here)

Unfortunately, the Trading Card Game doesn't filter out banned cards when selecting a format to filter by, however, it marks cards which are banned in at least one format with a red cross-out sign. Tapping that sign gives you information on what formats the card is banned in (as long as the set the card is found in is legal in the respective format). When you select a deck in the Deck Manager and hit the info icon in the top right the game gives you information on which cards in your deck are not legal in the respective formats.

Theme-legal decks being not legal in Expanded might seem counter-intuitive as the Theme format is the weakest and thus "unbalanced" cards should wreak even more havoc than in Expanded. However, the balancing in Theme takes place by the team putting together new Theme decks while balancing in other formats comes down to card by card interaction and oversights by the playtesting team. Take the "Wally" Supporter card for example. It is banned in Expanded while still found in Theme Decks. In Expanded it "breaks" the game by enabling some very restrictive first turn plays while in Theme it only helps you out a bit, if you even draw it, that is!

Regarding the Typhlosion Deck, since it contains HGSS-era only cards it is not legal in Expanded. It is, however, legal in Legacy. But I wouldn't advise trying to play it in that format, not even in Theme! 😅

• Upvote 2