genting

KadiSuperwoman

im confused.  If i leave a game before the last pokemon is killed is that called genting?  i sometimes leave because i don't want to hurt my stats.   I play in the format that allows GX's and V cards.

• Upvote 1

The term genting means any form of mutual agreement between players to let people win without actually playing the game in order to "earn" in-game rewards faster. It is mostly used to describe the phenomenon in Legacy where some people (used to) give up after losing the coin flip in the beginning. Since this has nothing to do with playing the game as intended, relies on mutual agreement between players and its sole motive is to get easy VS-points, it is a form of genting. 

Genting, of course, goes absolutely against the rules and is a bannable offense.

That being said, if you play decks which rely on going first (namely DONK) or draw a hand you consider unplayable or your opponent is so far ahead you know it's pretty much impossible for you to win and you give up that may be bad style (depending on who you ask) but it is not genting. Especially when you give up right before the turn your opponent would win the game, you still played the game as intended to determine who gets the rewards and you didn't have an agreement with the other player outside of the official game rules.

Also genting is mostly a problem in Legacy; in other formats it is pretty much unheard of, so as long as you play those formats you shouldn't worry about being mistaken for a genter at all.

Regarding giving up to keep your stats in better shape, I do not think that is against any rules (would also be hard to quantify), but if anyone knows better please correct me. In any way, I do not endorse it because it makes it harder for others to complete daily challenges. And it's not like stats are anything important in this game.

Edited by OelBoy
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

I do not endorse it because it makes it harder for others to complete daily challenges. And it's not like stats are anything important in this game.

Exactly. Plus conceding still means you lose so I don't see how that protects stats. A loss is a loss surly? 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GrimBeard said:

Exactly. Plus conceding still means you lose so I don't see how that protects stats. A loss is a loss surly? 

It protects your "Damage received" stat. But, as any mill/ control player will tell you, it is in no way an indicator as to how good of a player you are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

It protects your "Damage received" stat. But, as any mill/ control player will tell you, it is in no way an indicator as to how good of a player you are.

Ohh yeah I suppose it does. I never would have thought of that. 

Seems counter productive to me tbh - to manipulate stats by doing this:

3 hours ago, KadiSuperwoman said:

i sometimes leave because i don't want to hurt my stats.

The stats collected aka the stats that are being "protected" obviously isn't a true representation of that player therefore they can't be used for anything. No profile is public etc etc etc. I don't get what people get out of doing this other than feeding their own ego.

Edited by GrimBeard
Changing a censored word.

And I am over here wishing that my most owned card wasn't XY Ancient Origins Magikarp.

2 hours ago, GrimBeard said:

The stats collected aka the stats that are being "protected" obviously isn't a true representation of that player therefore they can't be used for anything. No profile is public etc etc etc. I don't get what people get out of doing this other than feeding their own ego.

For sure. I was going to bring this up had someone else not.

• Like 1