Quick Rules question - metal goggles

Leafey

Me and my boyfriend were playing pokemon cards

i had an Aegislash in the active spot, the one with painful sword

*** Painful Sword - Double the number of damage counters on each of your opponent's pokemon

My boyfriend had a 100 HP Skarmory with on the bench with 5 damage counters on it with a metal goggles attached

metal goggles - The steel pokemon this card is attached to takes 30 less damage from your opponent's attacks and your opponent's attacks and abilities can't put damage counters on it.

i used painful sword

does the skarmory take 20 damage? does it take 0 damage? or does it get knocked out?

When you double the number of counters (or move counters) you indeed place counters on a Pokemon. This means that Metal Goggles actually prevent the doubling of the damage counters.

Placing counters is different from doing damage. Damage is everything written next to the attack and/ or specified as such in the attack text. So the 30 less damage part doesn't do anything in regards to an attack which only places counters.

Take Dragapult-VMAX's Max Phantom for example. If your Metal Pokemon in the Active has Metal Goggles attached, the 130 Damage dealt would be reduced by 30. If it was on the Bench it would ignore all counters placed on it by the effect of the attack. (Your opponent can still choose to try and place damage counters onto your Metal Goggles Pokemon, placing said counters would still be prevented anyways.)

So yeah, Metal Pokemon with Metal Goggles are immune to Painful Sword.

Edited by OelBoy