Gigafall Mill

ellomello044208

It's been a while since I've started a post on Forums, but this was a deck that I felt like I had to share. It's quite the meme, but it's also an effective deck. Credit goes to @Bassoonboy135 for the inspiration with his post over on his channel! Here's my deck list:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Munchlax UNM 173
* 2 Snorlax VIV 131
* 2 Alolan Grimer UNM 127
* 2 Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX UNM 126
* 2 Alolan Muk TEU 84
* 2 Axew UNM 154
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 1 Mewtwo UNB 75
* 1 Mimikyu CEC 245
* 1 Oricorio-GX CEC 255

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 4 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 4 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197
* 2 Cursed Shovel RCL 157
* 2 Tag Call CEC 206
* 4 N's Resolve CEC 200
* 2 Pokémon Communication HS 98
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 2 Nanu TEU 150

##Energy - 16

* 16 Darkness Energy SWSHEnergy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The idea of this deck is to use the GX attack, Gigafall, on Mega Sableye and Tyranitar GX to mill out your opponent's deck. If the Pokemon has 10 Energy attached to it, it discards the top 15 cards of your opponent's deck. While this may seem very slow because it takes 10 turns of manual attachments, this deck has some interesting tricks to get there.

The basic combination is to load up an Axew with 10 Energy, then play Nanu to swap it out for a SableTar. Why Axew? Well, it has an ability, Unnerve, which makes it immune to the effects of Supporters and Items, most notably Boss's Orders and Crushing Hammer, two very common cards in the current Standard format. Due to its ability, your opponent can't Boss it up or Crushing Hammer its energy! An interesting pro of playing Axew as our in-between for SableTar is that it can benefit from N's Resolve to accelerate our Energy. It looks at only the top 6 cards of our deck, so I play 16 Energy to make the chances of finding a decent amount of energy more likely.

Now, let's talk about consistency. Snorlax VIV provides the basic Pokemon draw power for the deck. Oricorio GX is also there as an additional draw Pokemon, it's very handy to get 3 more cards to work with. Mewtwo helps with recycling Supporters and Munchlax helps with recycling in general. Due to N's Resolve discarding the top 6 cards, there are a lot of important resources that I may need to reuse. Munchlax helps us conserve, and gives us something to do when I don't have a Snorlax to draw cards or a Pokemon like Mimikyu to attack with. In addition to having Munchlax and Mewtwo to recover resources, Cynthia and Caitlin is handy as well. It's the only draw Supporter in the deck, but it also helps recover Supporter cards in the discard (other than itself). To find Pokemon, this list runs 4 Quick Ball, 2 Pokemon Communication, and 2 Tag Call. Tag Call is very versatile, as it can pull out SableTar when I want to discard it as well as provide draw power in the form of Cynthia and Caitlin.

The rest of the cards in the deck provide more options. Alolan Muk has a helpful ability for milling our opponent and reducing them to a 15 card deck and can be reused with Scoop Up Net. Scoop Up Net also provides synergy with Mewtwo UNB for additional Supporters if needed. Mew protects Benched Pokemon from things like Spit Shot from Cramorant V and spread effects, which can be devastating as Axew has only 60 HP. Lillie's Pokedoll provides additional walls to sit behind while building up Axew. Cursed Shovel can be thrown onto walls to mill a few more cards of your opponent's deck. Lastly, and perhaps most interesting, is the tech of Mimikyu. A somewhat forgotten Pokemon, Mimikyu's Impersonation has interesting prospects. For one, it can be used to play 2 N's Resolve in 1 turn. U-turn Board is the one card I'm on the fence about, it has its uses, but they feel rather lacking. I'll try the list with a Zacian V or another draw card instead in the future. Additionally, and possibly more usefully, it can be used to play a Supporter card that's been recovered with Cynthia and Caitlin in the same turn. This allows me to squeeze in an extra N's Resolve or a bit more draw with Cynthia and Caitlin to make the deck a tad faster.

The deck's best matchups are definitely more linear decks, like Coalossal VMAX, Eternatus VMAX, and even Pikachu and Zekrom GX, provided they don't start spamming Vikavolt V's Paralyzing Bolt from turn 2 onwards. The harder matchups are ADPZ as they put a ton of pressure on, Dragapult VMAX, and Orbeetle VMAX decks. Spread that can get through Mew is Axew's worst nightmare, though the Dragapult VMAX matchup isn't so bad with SableTar OHKOing Dragapult VMAX with the help of Weakness.

Some cards to consider are Wondrous Labyrinth {*} to slow down your opponent, Boss's Orders and Absol/Galar Mine to make trapping something in the Active a possibility for a game win. More Pokemon draw/Supporter draw would definitely help, I'm looking into adding 1 Zacian V or another way to draw more cards. Oranguru SSH is also a consideration to give protection from Marnie, which can be devastating to the current build.

That's the basic breakdown of the deck, I hope some of you feel inspired to try the list out, it's a ton of fun! I'm 9-6 with the deck as of writing this, and it's been a blast.

Edited by ellomello044208
Crediting FDR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

It's been a while since I've started a post on Forums, but this was a deck that I felt like I had to share. It's quite the meme, but it's also an effective meme. Here's the deck list:

Reveal hidden contents

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Munchlax UNM 173
* 2 Snorlax VIV 131
* 2 Alolan Grimer UNM 127
* 2 Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX UNM 126
* 2 Alolan Muk TEU 84
* 2 Axew UNM 154
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 1 Mewtwo UNB 75
* 1 Mimikyu CEC 245
* 1 Oricorio-GX CEC 255

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 4 Cynthia & Caitlin CEC 189
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 4 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197
* 2 Cursed Shovel RCL 157
* 2 Tag Call CEC 206
* 4 N's Resolve CEC 200
* 2 Pokémon Communication HS 98
* 1 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 2 Nanu TEU 150

##Energy - 16

* 16 Darkness Energy SWSHEnergy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The idea of this deck is to use the GX attack, Gigafall, on Mega Sableye and Tyranitar GX to mill out your opponent's deck. If the Pokemon has 10 Energy attached to it, it discards the top 15 cards of your opponent's deck. While this may seem very slow because it takes 10 turns of manual attachments, this deck has some interesting tricks to get there.

The basic combination is to load up an Axew with 10 Energy, then play Nanu to swap it out for a SableTar. Why Axew? Well, it has an ability, Unnerve, which makes it immune to the effects of Supporters and Items, most notably Boss's Orders and Crushing Hammer, two very common cards in the current Standard format. Due to its ability, your opponent can't Boss it up or Crushing Hammer its energy! An interesting pro of playing Axew as our in-between for SableTar is that it can benefit from N's Resolve to accelerate our Energy. It looks at only the top 6 cards of our deck, so I play 16 Energy to make the chances of finding a decent amount of energy more likely.

Now, let's talk about consistency. Snorlax VIV provides the basic Pokemon draw power for the deck. Oricorio GX is also there as an additional draw Pokemon, it's very handy to get 3 more cards to work with. Mewtwo helps with recycling Supporters and Munchlax helps with recycling in general. Due to N's Resolve discarding the top 6 cards, there are a lot of important resources that I may need to reuse. Munchlax helps us conserve, and gives us something to do when I don't have a Snorlax to draw cards or a Pokemon like Mimikyu to attack with. In addition to having Munchlax and Mewtwo to recover resources, Cynthia and Caitlin is handy as well. It's the only draw Supporter in the deck, but it also helps recover Supporter cards in the discard (other than itself). To find Pokemon, this list runs 4 Quick Ball, 2 Pokemon Communication, and 2 Tag Call. Tag Call is very versatile, as it can pull out SableTar when I want to discard it as well as provide draw power in the form of Cynthia and Caitlin.

The rest of the cards in the deck provide more options. Alolan Muk has a helpful ability for milling our opponent and reducing them to a 15 card deck and can be reused with Scoop Up Net. Scoop Up Net also provides synergy with Mewtwo UNB for additional Supporters if needed. Mew protects Benched Pokemon from things like Spit Shot from Cramorant V and spread effects, which can be devastating as Axew has only 60 HP. Lillie's Pokedoll provides additional walls to sit behind while building up Axew. Cursed Shovel can be thrown onto walls to mill a few more cards of your opponent's deck. Lastly, and perhaps most interesting, is the tech of Mimikyu. A somewhat forgotten Pokemon, Mimikyu's Impersonation has interesting prospects. For one, it can be used to play 2 N's Resolve in 1 turn. U-turn Board is the one card I'm on the fence about, it has its uses, but they feel rather lacking. I'll try the list with a Zacian V or another draw card instead in the future. Additionally, and possibly more usefully, it can be used to play a Supporter card that's been recovered with Cynthia and Caitlin in the same turn. This allows me to squeeze in an extra N's Resolve or a bit more draw with Cynthia and Caitlin to make the deck a tad faster.

The deck's best matchups are definitely more linear decks, like Coalossal VMAX, Eternatus VMAX, and even Pikachu and Zekrom GX, provided they don't start spamming Vikavolt V's Paralyzing Bolt from turn 2 onwards. The harder matchups are ADPZ as they put a ton of pressure on, Dragapult VMAX, and Orbeetle VMAX decks. Spread that can get through Mew is Axew's worst nightmare, though the Dragapult VMAX matchup isn't so bad with SableTar OHKOing Dragapult VMAX with the help of Weakness.

Some cards to consider are Wondrous Labyrinth {*} to slow down your opponent, Boss's Orders and Absol/Galar Mine to make trapping something in the Active a possibility for a game win. More Pokemon draw/Supporter draw would definitely help, I'm looking into adding 1 Zacian V or another way to draw more cards. Oranguru SSH is also a consideration to give protection from Marnie, which can be devastating to the current build.

That's the basic breakdown of the deck, I hope some of you feel inspired to try the list out, it's a ton of fun! I'm 9-6 with the deck as of writing this, and it's been a blast.

Thanks for sharing this, i have most of the cards shown here so i might give it a go.

Was also featured recently by ********* flex daddy righteous aka John Walter aka bassoonboy135... pretty fun to watch him play it! :) 

As far as that axew I remember brining up his special ability before... still tend to think his ability should also mean if he is in active he can't be gusted, but I won't argue that any more since the pokemon company literally ruled against me. 

8 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Was also featured recently by ********* flex daddy righteous aka John Walter aka bassoonboy135... pretty fun to watch him play it! :) 

As far as that axew I remember brining up his special ability before... still tend to think his ability should also mean if he is in active he can't be gusted, but I won't argue that any more since the pokemon company literally ruled against me. 

Yes, that was my inspiration! I took that deck, mashed it with a Control deck core and got this beauty. I didn't mean to act like this was all my idea, I'll edit the original post to give him credit. About the ability ruling, yeah... I considered pinging you over it in the post. 

10 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

the pokemon company literally ruled against me. 

The Pokemon Company did not literally rule against you, you simply refuse to understand the card interactions which have been outlined in the rule compendium for years.

There is a difference. The ruling has been there since 2015 and I don't think TPCi ruled against you half a decade before you even played the game. You just act petulant because it goes against your intuition.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Regarding the deck: It looks pretty fun to play and I'm only missing 3 cards, maybe I'll give it a go. I played a similar idea (completely different execution) in Expanded until Lapras was banned which was janky but really fun!

Edited by OelBoy