This Rayquaza-GX deck is making life way to easy on PTCGO

gyasiz

With this Rayquaza-GX deck I have gotten up to a 28 win streak. I'll put the list and under it an in depth guide for each card's purpose in the deck.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Arceus {*} FLI 96
* 4 Rayquaza-GX CES 177
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Grubbin UNB 18
* 1 Shaymin {*} TEU 10
* 1 Tapu Koko {*} TEU 51
* 2 Zeraora-GX LOT 86
* 2 Charjabug UNB 58
* 2 Vikavolt PR-SM 28
* 1 Suicune-GX LOT 220

##Trainer Cards - 26

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 2 Superior Energy Retrieval PLF 103
* 2 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Colress PLS 118
* 4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 N FCO 105
* 2 Adventure Bag LOT 167

##Energy - 16

* 8 Lightning Energy SMEnergy 13
* 8 Grass Energy SMEnergy 10

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Pokemon;

Rayquaza-GX: This is our main attacker. It's ability Stormy Winds allows us to speed up our attack time and paired with Tapu Koko{*} ability it can attack on your first turn sometimes. Also it's Tempest GX is a great way to start the game and can put you in a very good position on turn 2.

Arceus{*}: Arceus is amazing for setup especially because the deck already almost needs electric and grass type Pokemon. The one problem is getting a water Pokemon, that's where Suicune-GX comes in.

Suicune-GX: It might be better to have a one prize Pokemon to help Arceus, but its ability makes it the best fit. Its ability Phantom Winds lets you shuffle it an all cards attached to it into the deck as long as it is on your bench. This is great so that once you have set up with Arceus{*} You can clear some bench space and take away a two prize gust target.

Exeggcute: Exeggcute is there so that we can use ultra ball, quick ball and superior energy retrieval essentially for free. Exeggcute's ability Propagation lets you put Exeggcute into your hand from your discard pile, it says once per turn, but you can use it for any amount of cards that you want in one turn.

Tapu Koko{*}: Tapu Koko is here solely for the use of its ability Dance of the Ancients. This allows us to accelerate energy onto our Pokemon to get our first attack off faster or to power up another attacker on the bench.

Zeraora-GX: Zeraora might seem unnecessary, but that is far from the truth. It's ability lets all of your Pokemon with any Lightning energy attached to have free retreat. This goes well because almost all of our Pokemon have a retreat cost of 2 or more and can retreat by only having one energy attached.

Vikavolt: This one is pretty obvious. Vikavolt's ability Strong Charge let's you search your deck for one Grass and one Lightning energy per turn and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. This lets us set up any of our Pokemon and helps us build up Rayquaza's attack damage fast.

Shaymin{*}: Shaymin is just here for it's attack it does the same amount that Rayquaza's attack would do because of it's 30x the amount to basic energy you have. The free retreat makes it an ideal backup attacker because it won't get in the way if it gets put into the active position.

Trainers;

Colress, N, Professors Research: These are all here for the purpose of getting a new hand to speed up set up or to get out of a bad spot.

Evolution Incense, Quick Ball, Ultra Ball: These are all here just for finding the Pokemon we need.

Battle Compressor: This is great for getting energy in the discard pile for Tapu Koko{*} and for getting Exeggcutes into the discard pile to setup an attack or a search card like Ultra Ball

Guzma: Guzma serves as a way to switch and a way to gust opponent's Pokemon. With Thunderclap Zone Zeraora's ability and Guzma there is no shortage of switch out options.

Superior Energy Retrieval: This is great partnered with Exeggcute for free you can put energy from the discard pile into your hand which is very good late game when you've lost a Rayquaza or two and need some energy to finish the game.

Rescue Stretcher: This is here to recover any essential Pokemon that we might lose with Stormy Winds, or in the late game we might need to put some Rayquaza's back into the deck.

Adventure Bag: This is here for finding your Fighting Fury Belts

Fighting Fury Belt: This is really great because Rayquaza's meager 180hp makes it vulnerable and the plus 40hp is the main reason for this card, but the +10 damage isn't bad either.

Overall: This deck sets up fast and always wants to go second for a turn one attack. I have some strategies that you might want to consider.

Stratagies:

Rayquaza Start: If you start with a Pokemon that you would rather have in active instead of Rayquaza, but you have Rayquaza in your hand, don't play it you should wait until your turn so that you can use Rayquaza's ability to set it up faster.

Exeggcute Start: If you start Exeggcute always leave in active unless you have a distinct opportunity to pull away in prizes. You want your Eggs in the discard pile for their ability and the best way to do that is to let them get knocked out.

Resource Management: Do not worry about thinning your deck. This deck tends to do that. There are many ways to fix this. You can run Energy Recycler over Superior Energy Retrieval. Also you can use rescue stretcher and if you have Suicune benched you can attach tools or energy to it before you use its ability to shuffle all of it back into the deck. The point of this deck is to take out your opponents two and three prizers with one hit.

Palkia-GX: This is the bane of this deck. It's GX attack shuffles are energy attached to your Pokemon into your deck. If you are against Palkia you must get Vikavolt and Arceus ready for when the use GX, also Shaymin is your best bet in this matchup because of Palkia's weakness you need the 2 energy for Shaymins attack plus one more attached to any of your Pokemon.

That's a good idea! I think that the way I play this deck Mallow doesn't really fit in, because there are so many moving parts and to start the game my priority is playing draw supporters to set up, but I will definitely try Pokedex out.

That's a strong deck! However, there are definitely some things that confuse me. For one, why the Superior Energy Retrieval? It doesn't replenish your deck with energy like Super Rod or Energy Recycler so I don't see a particular synergy. If you want to hit energy with Rayquaza's ability, Shuckle LOT and Oranguru SSH are two good cards to consider. If you want to maintain Energy in play easier, you can try playing Wishful Baton. Putting one on your Active Rayquaza GX will keep its 3 Energy in play after it's Knocked out (provided your opponent doesn't have a Field Blower). Max Elixir is also a good means of accelerating Energy into play, if you're able to get 4 copies (there's one in each Breakpoint Theme Deck) it'll almost guarantee you a turn 1 attack, even more so than with Tapu Koko {*}.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions! I put energy recycler into the deck and it works great. Though I see how wishful baton might be helpful, but the deck simply doesn't function without using Fighting Fury Belt because Rayquaza's 180 HP isn't enough. I took the suggestion of PinkyPockyPanda and put Mallow into the deck and it works well so I think that oranguru and shuckle would just clunk up the deck. I see what your saying with the Max Elixer, but in recent times when I play this deck I tend to try and get 2 energy onto Rayquaza turn one and go for Tempest GX which has really boosted the setup power of the deck. and unrelated to the suggestions I have added Pokegear mostly for getting Mallow before playing Rayquaza. and another Pokemon that is as useless as it sounds which is Pincurchin V, I only have it for two reasons. One, I pulled it from a trade locked pack and thought it would be funny to have in a deck and two, because it's ability counterattack Kerzap is helpful for taking down decks such as Yveltal EX and Lugia EX.  Below is the new deck list:

##Pokémon - 19

* 1 Arceus {*} FLI 96
* 4 Rayquaza-GX CES 177
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Grubbin UNB 18
* 1 Shaymin {*} TEU 10
* 1 Pincurchin V RCL 72
* 1 Tapu Koko {*} TEU 51
* 2 Zeraora-GX LOT 86
* 2 Charjabug UNB 58
* 2 Vikavolt PR-SM 28
* 1 Suicune-GX LOT 220

##Trainer Cards - 25

* 2 Pokégear3.0 HS 96
* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Mallow GRI 127
* 1 Adventure Bag LOT 167

##Energy - 16

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

On 2/16/2021 at 7:48 AM, gyasiz said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I put energy recycler into the deck and it works great. Though I see how wishful baton might be helpful, but the deck simply doesn't function without using Fighting Fury Belt because Rayquaza's 180 HP isn't enough. I took the suggestion of PinkyPockyPanda and put Mallow into the deck and it works well so I think that oranguru and shuckle would just clunk up the deck. I see what your saying with the Max Elixer, but in recent times when I play this deck I tend to try and get 2 energy onto Rayquaza turn one and go for Tempest GX which has really boosted the setup power of the deck. and unrelated to the suggestions I have added Pokegear mostly for getting Mallow before playing Rayquaza. and another Pokemon that is as useless as it sounds which is Pincurchin V, I only have it for two reasons. One, I pulled it from a trade locked pack and thought it would be funny to have in a deck and two, because it's ability counterattack Kerzap is helpful for taking down decks such as Yveltal EX and Lugia EX.  Below is the new deck list:

##Pokémon - 19

* 1 Arceus {*} FLI 96
* 4 Rayquaza-GX CES 177
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Grubbin UNB 18
* 1 Shaymin {*} TEU 10
* 1 Pincurchin V RCL 72
* 1 Tapu Koko {*} TEU 51
* 2 Zeraora-GX LOT 86
* 2 Charjabug UNB 58
* 2 Vikavolt PR-SM 28
* 1 Suicune-GX LOT 220

##Trainer Cards - 25

* 2 Pokégear3.0 HS 96
* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Mallow GRI 127
* 1 Adventure Bag LOT 167

##Energy - 16

Total Cards - 60

I'm glad to hear the deck is working out for you. My original point with the Shuckle LOT seems to have been misunderstood, allow me to elaborate. Shuckle's ability Fresh Squeezed searches your deck for 3 basic Energy and discards them, which has synergy with Rayquaza GX's ability if you have no basic Energy in the discard already. It also has good synergy with Zeraora GX's GX attack, Full Voltage, which I assumed was how you powered up your Pokemon to take big KO's. But your strategy appears to be rather different, so you can probably disregard the suggestion with Shuckle/Oranguru.