Coin Toss

GrimBeard

Feedback to ptcgo: The volume of matches that am playing that are literally decided on coin flips are a massive turn off. There seems to be a lot more coin flipping decks for lack of a better choice of words recently. Too many games have I played recently that although I out play my opponent I lose because "if heads prevent all damage" coin flips.

This is a massive incentive not to play this game and buy products relating to Pokemon cards for myself. All ready recent purchases have devalued from my pov as am currently thinking "why bother"?. Why bother searching out cards to make a fun deck that stands a chance if that chance has already been reduced to a 50/50 coin flip. 

I no longer attempt to play Legacy due to genting, if I wanted to play heads or tails, I'd just pick up a coin in real life and flip it. Standard and Extended mode is beginning to feel like a more time consuming coin toss. The sheer volume of people playing Relentless Flame in Themed mode can make someones entire experience of Themed mode a coin flipping one.

Over the past couple of days my main reason for turning the game off has been because of coin flips deciding my match outcomes.

I get coin tosses are a thing that isn't going away - that's cool, I get that. I understand that people tend to remember the time/s they lose coin tosses more than the ones they win etc etc etc etc. All of it I get, it all makes sense. My feedback is simpler than that. Recently a lot of decks I have been playing against revolves around coin tosses and that removes the fun for myself and the incentive to want to play. Needless to say, if I don't have the incentive to play, then I don't have the incentive to spend money on Pokemon card products.

How is this feedback for the PTCGO?  Isn't this an issue with the underlying game?

I think there are far too many coin flips in the Pokémon TCG.  If you just needed to vent... I get it.  I just wanted to say something if you weren't trying to address the Dev Team but someone at the Pokémon Company.  If I misunderstood, my apologies.  Yours is not a new or uncommon criticism - again, I share it - but it pops up in these forums often enough that I may be mistaking what you are saying as this familiar critique.

Edited by Otakutron

I’m sorry but i think people that generally play coin toss heavy decks are people who know their skills ain’t great, i think there’s a lot more of that at the moment because there are a lot of casuals due to the pandemic. Grasping at straws to get their daily wins. Yes sometimes I get infuriated, but I’m 100 % sure that I get my full daily wins way more often than sir RNGalot. 

and I’m fine with that. I am pretty sure the newer sets do not contain any more coin toss cards than the ones prior to that.

we all need to vent once in a while, though.

Edited by nekoshounen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

How is this feedback for the PTCGO?  Isn't this an issue with the underlying game?

I think there are far too many coin flips in the Pokémon TCG.  If you just needed to vent... I get it.  I just wanted to say something if you weren't trying to address the Dev Team but someone at the Pokémon Company.  If I misunderstood, my apologies.  Yours is not a new or uncommon criticism - again, I share it - but it pops up in these forums often enough that I may be mistaking what you are saying as this familiar critique.

The feedback given - is based on my experiences from the past couple of days - is directed at whomever it is that takes feedback on the game and decides to take action or not. I personally don't know who/what to tag on this site, that's why I just simply put "Feedback to ptcgo". I hoped it would be generic enough. I dunno if that's answers your question or not tbh but I hope it does.

It's something am unhappy with so I'm definitely venting. That said, I was pondering how I should spend my time tonight, Pokemon popped in my head. I immediately dismissed it as I simply cannot be bothered experiencing the same few things that are annoying me at present in-game - such as losing to coin tosses. Some of the other things that are annoying me at present is stuff way outside "whoevers" control eg players who take more than 5 mins to pick heads or tail, select their starting Pokemon and then take/end their first turn.

2 hours ago, nekoshounen said:

I’m sorry but i think people that generally play coin toss heavy decks are people who know their skills ain’t great, i think there’s a lot more of that at the moment because there are a lot of casuals due to the pandemic. Grasping at straws to get their daily wins. Yes sometimes I get infuriated, but I’m 100 % sure that I get my full daily wins way more often than sir RNGalot. 

and I’m fine with that. I am pretty sure the newer sets do not contain any more coin toss cards than the ones prior to that.

we all need to vent once in a while, though.

I won't lie, this actually made me feel a bit better about the topic at hand. Thanks for that.

Edited by GrimBeard
Forgot to add.
  • Like 1

You’re welcome buddy, I’m finding that the moment NA wakes up and all the kids that should be at school the game turns into trash rng nonsense. I’ve been switching off during that time and playing Radical Red. Been keeping me entertained thus far

@nekoshounen  I must disagree with your assertion.  Edit: Your first post in this thread.  Took so long commenting, you'd posted again by the time I finished. XP  Please let me explain why.

While relying on luck-based cards can be a sign someone is lacking in skill and knows it, at several points in the history of the Pokémon TCG, some of the top decks have relied upon coin-flip based effects.  Think of it this way: imagine if there was a Trainer-Item card with the simple effect of "Flip a coin. If heads, you win this game."  Obviously broken, but that is the point; even with a 50% failure rate, we can create a Trainer-Item that every deck should run four copies of... and probably center around, or center around countering!

Nothing that broken has ever been released, but I took it to that extreme to explain the basic premise: even a "tails fails" card can be utterly broken.  Thus, we need to examine the actual cards and their effects, because some may still be broken, just in a less obvious manner.  Sneasel (Neo Genesis 25/11) was the very first card banned for the Standard (then referred to as "Modified") Format.  In fact, it was never legal, but preemptively banned from the very start.  Slowking (Neo Genesis 14/111) was also banned, though not as quickly.

Fast-forwarding to the modern game, there are times when who won what event was heavily dictated by how the coin flips went.  It isn't quite as simple as who flipped more heads, because timing matters.  Sometimes who goes first was such a strong indicator of who would win, that was the only one that proved relevant.  Other times, it was about Crushing Hammer or Pokémon Reversal or Hypnotoxic Laser or Super Scoop Up  coming up "heads" at a crucial moment, even if your other uses were all "tails" the one that lead to the win or prevented your loss is what counted.  Though getting heads more often usually coincided with that.

Is that the case right now?

I don't know.  I favor the Theme Format, and haven't even played that in a few weeks.  The post-holiday stuff is just winding down for me... just in time I should start gearing up to do taxes and some overdue cleaning. XD  I hope I didn't sound too harsh, nekoshounen.  If you see this and completely disagree... okay, I made my case.  I could be wrong. XP  I did want to report on what I'd seen, though.  Of particular note is Pokémon Reversal; during the HeartGold & Soulsilver-era, until Pokémon Catcher (pre-errata) released in the early, early BW-era, coin flips decided close matches between skilled players, not just novices. :)

Edited by Otakutron

I don’t completely disagree at all @Otakutron but that’s not what I’m experiencing, and it probably isn’t what @GrimBeard is either, what I’m experiencing is rather badly put together decks, that can sometimes steal wins. And that’s the only reason they’re playing them. Now I must sleep 😴  it is rather late here!

• Upvote 1