[GENERAL] Other - Changed chat settings but can't chat in versus battle?

Basket1976

I'm a newer player who just started battling in versus challenges and people send messages, but the chat options are not there for me. I checked the settings on my account at Pokémon,.com and everything is set to 'open', but the issue remains. Chat works when battling friends, so I know where it should be and that it can work. I am not sure what else to check and so I ended up here. I am Windows user. Thoughts?

• Mod_RedDragon changed the title to [GENERAL] Other - Changed chat settings but can't chat in versus battle?
Mod_RedDragon

Hello @Basket1976,

You are unable to send custom responses in some areas of the game as this feature was removed a few years ago. You can still send canned responses in Versus by selecting your avatar. Hope that helps!

nekoshounen

Yeah the canned chat update (which was not particularly popular amongst us players) means that you can only directly chat with friends within the actual matches, anyone else only gets the 6 emotes and the 4 canned responses (Devs should really add a few more, because they're really not adequate for even the basics responses, i.e no "Your Turn" ).

You can openly chat to people outside the match if they have "Open settings" or in lobbies.

• Like 1
Basket1976

Thanks! It's weird because I get messages sent to me...only there is no way for me to respond...not even the canned response options.

Edited by Basket1976
nekoshounen
10 hours ago, Basket1976 said:

Thanks! It's weird because I get messages sent to me...only there is no way for me to respond...not even the canned response options.

then your issues, is your chat settings. @Mod_RedDragon do you have an FAQ for @Basket1976 to follow? if your settings are correct, then you either have been trying to chat with people whose accounts have chat restrictions, or it's a bug, if it is I suggest you start a support ticket, I'm sure the mods will happily link you

• Like 1
Mod_Jynthu

Hello nekoshounen, 

Thank you for the helpful suggestion!

Basket1976, you can modify your social settings with the instructions below: 

1. Login to your Pokémon Trainer Club account at pokemon.com.
2. From your "Edit Profile" page navigate to "TCG Online Settings".
3. Select the "Custom" option, and then set each preference individually.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page to save the settings.

If you continue to experience an issue, please submit a ticket by visiting support.pokemon.com, signing in, selecting the Pokémon TCG Online category and clicking "Contact Us". 

Basket1976

UPDATE: I think the problem was the user all along :) I figured out how to send a message in versus mode, which is different from when you are playing a friend battle. You need to click on the character face in versus mode and suddenly the chat options show up. Thank you everyone for your help. I feel a little silly, but hey, now I know.

• Upvote 1
Mod_RedDragon
On 1/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, Basket1976 said:

UPDATE: I think the problem was the user all along :) I figured out how to send a message in versus mode, which is different from when you are playing a friend battle. You need to click on the character face in versus mode and suddenly the chat options show up. Thank you everyone for your help. I feel a little silly, but hey, now I know.

Thanks for the update!