So I couldn't play any special energy.. what card did it?

nekoshounen

Just finished an expanded tournament, and ofc didn't save gamelog, cause I forgot since I only came back a few days ago. got to final, with my Teamplay Passimian deck, but in the final I wasn't able to play any special energy, he had some sort of psychic deck, I could NOT work out what made that happen so obviously i could not remove it, It felt like a bug, but probably some crazy interaction.

Anyone know?

Otakutron
  1. What Format?
  2. Are you sure all Pokémon were Psychic, or did the deck just run some Psychic Pokémon, or just run on Psychic Energy?
  3. Were you able to play any other cards from hand?
  4. What specific Special Energy card were you trying to play?
nekoshounen

13 minutes ago, Otakutron said:
  1. What Format? 
  2. Are you sure all Pokémon were Psychic, or did the deck just run some Psychic Pokémon, or just run on Psychic Energy?
  3. Were you able to play any other cards from hand?
  4. What specific Special Energy card were you trying to play?

1. Expanded as mentioned in the OP

2. It was really hard to tell as all their cards were shiny foils (no not all cards were psychic, but it just run on psychic energy) there was that sudowoodo that prevents more than 4 pokemon in play, apart from that all pokemon were either psychic or poison

3/4. I could play anything else as far as I could tell, just not the only energy I ran (double colorless)

Did your opponent play Honchkrow-GX?

deffo not the card I could play my stadium cards and tools

Edited by nekoshounen
Otakutron
15 hours ago, nekoshounen said:

1. Expanded as mentioned in the OP

2. It was really hard to tell as all their cards were shiny foils (no not all cards were psychic, but it just run on psychic energy) there was that sudowoodo that prevents more than 4 pokemon in play, apart from that all pokemon were either psychic or poison

3/4. I could play anything else as far as I could tell, just not the only energy I ran (double colorless)

Did your opponent play Honchkrow-GX?

deffo not the card I could play my stadium cards and tools

My bad.  Thanks for re-stating it.

I understand about the foil, but let me clarify why I'm asking about the types.  It isn't because of a Benched Sudowoodo.  It is because of Giratina-EX (XY - Ancient Origins 57/98, 93/98).  This is a Dragon-Type (gold card), but its "Chaos Wheel" attack costs [GPCC] to use.  Chaos Wheel does 100 damage, and prevents your opponent from playing Special Energy cards, Pokémon Tools, and Stadium cards from hand during their next turn.  Besides using it to attack directly, something like Mewtwo & Mew-GX could copy it from the discard pile.  If you couldn't play anything from your hand, there was a chance your opponent used Gengar & Mimikyu-GX's "Horror House-GX" attack.

Thanks for answering the question about which Special Energy card; I know it is annoying, but a lot of people ask questions while missing simple things like "I couldn't attach my Triple Acceleration Energy to my [insert Basic Pokémon]!" forgetting that Triple Acceleration Energy can only be attached to Evolutions.  Double Colorless Energy has zero attachment restrictions, so obviously that is not the problem.  Thanks for not getting on me for asking about the Format when you already had stated it.

I hope it doesn't sound like nitpicking, but are you saying that, apart from Sudowoodo, your opponent had just Psychic-type cards?  Video game Poison types aren't always Psychic, and the TCG Psychic type includes the video game Ghost type.  It just... has me a little confused.

Edited by Otakutron
OelBoy

There are some Mew³ deck variants which include Noivern-GX, other than that I don't have any idea.

nekoshounen
2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

My bad.  Thanks for re-stating it.

I understand about the foil, but let me clarify why I'm asking about the types.  It isn't because of a Benched Sudowoodo.  It is because of Giratina-EX (XY - Ancient Origins 57/98, 93/98).  This is a Dragon-Type (gold card), but its "Chaos Wheel" attack costs [GPCC] to use.  Chaos Wheel does 100 damage, and prevents your opponent from playing Special Energy cards, Pokémon Tools, and Stadium cards from hand during their next turn.  Besides using it to attack directly, something like Mewtwo & Mew-GX could copy it from the discard pile.  If you couldn't play anything from your hand, there was a chance your opponent used Gengar & Mimikyu-GX's "Horror House-GX" attack.

Thanks for answering the question about which Special Energy card; I know it is annoying, but a lot of people ask questions while missing simple things like "I couldn't attach my Triple Acceleration Energy to my [insert Basic Pokémon]!" forgetting that Triple Acceleration Energy can only be attached to Evolutions.  Double Colorless Energy has zero attachment restrictions, so obviously that is not the problem.  Thanks for not getting on me for asking about the Format when you already had stated it.

I hope it doesn't sound like nitpicking, but are you saying that, apart from Sudowoodo, your opponent had just Psychic-type cards?  Video game Poison types aren't always Psychic, and the TCG Psychic type includes the video game Ghost type.  It just... has me a little confused.

I was using a Passimian Teamplay deck. no other energy than double colorless in my deck, nothing but Passimians and mews (not ex gx or v) and an oranguru in my deck

No no doesn't sound like nitpicking, i was expecting these sorts of Qs tbh. 

Nothing on their board (which wasn't much) that wasn't a sudowoodo only had special colorless energy or psychic, as far as I could tell they were all PSYCHIC energy types (as we know in the TCG). 

i understand that there are alot of  new players posting silly qs here, but not to brag I'm already top 100 in Europe and top 20 in my country on the leaderboard since i started back on Saturday, so you can prob avoid the noobish counter Qs.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Giratina EX as that was the era i last played the game and would have recognised it, also the effect went on turn after turn after turn so that would also exclude Noiverne-GX. They weren't able to attack at least one turn as I Lysander their sudowoodo on, yet i still couldn't play any energy.

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

There are some Mew³ deck variants which include Noivern-GX, other than that I don't have any idea.

There was a Koffing on board (it was a full art one, but i can't remember which kind tbh I think it had an ability that didn't affect my deck so I stopped caring about it)

So unless anyone has any other ideas, it could have been that Honchcrow-GX, i thought i could play my Bursting Balloons, but maybe i was wrong. I couldn't play my stadium card cause a copy was already on the board, so that won't get us an answer.

Edited by nekoshounen
  • Like 1
Raticate555

Maybe it was Mismagius from Crimson Invasion? It's attack does the same effect as Honchkrow and Giratina but it is a psychic stage 1 Pokemon. If you could play tools though...