Need Rule Clarification Please

Akar_Nuwan

So I read this the other day from here:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/shine-brightly-in-battle/

Jungle Totem is great for any deck that needs a lot of Grass Energy, and perhaps no Pokémon benefits from it more than Shining Genesect. Its Gaia Blaster attack does 50 damage to start with—plus 20 more damage times the amount of Grass Energy attached to it. Note that word “amount,” because that's important—what we're counting here isn't the number of Energy cards, but the amount of Energy produced. So with Jungle Totem, that extra damage quickly hits levels normally reserved for Pokémon-EX and Pokémon-GX. Shining Genesect's Energy Reload Ability even lets you move Grass Energy from your other Pokémon to it, meaning you can power it up quickly.

What is the difference here where it talks about "not energy attached, but energy produced"? I don't understand what it's saying is the difference between the two.

Hello Akar_Nuwan,

Great question! This is the way that I understand the mechanics after reviewing the article and should not be taken as an official ruling. Say that you have the Venusaur in that article on your bench and you have the Shining Genesect as your active with two Grass Energy cards attached. Using the Jungle Totem ability of the Venusaur, those two cards each produce two Grass Energy. Therefore you have two Grass Energy cards but four Grass Energy are being produced due to the ability and therefore 4 Grass Energy are attached. 

So with Shining Genesect's Gaia Blaster attack, following the above scenario, you will do 50+(20*4) for a total of 130 damage. If you add another Grass Energy and do the same, it will be 50+(20*6) for 170.

I hope that helps!