“defeated” even though I was winning?

Cyanpi

Hi, I’ve only been playing for a couple of days and it’s happened a few times in Versus now that the game suddenly ends and says I’ve been defeated, even though it should have been far from over (opponent still had lots of prize cards, I had lots of pokemon on my bench, my pokemon didn’t even go down that round etc.), has anyone else experienced this and could explain what’s happening? It’s really frustrating when I think I’m in a great position and then suddenly lose, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong :(

Could it be that you had no cards left in your deck?

When you can't draw your first card for turn because your deck is empty, you instead lose the game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OelBoy said:

Could it be that you had no cards left in your deck?

When you can't draw your first card for turn because your deck is empty, you instead lose the game.

Oohh I honestly didn’t know about that so I never paid attention to my deck, that must’ve been it then! 🤦‍♀️Thank you so much

• Upvote 1

The others have already touched upon it, but welcome to the wonderful(?) world of alternate win conditions! There are multiple ways to win in Pokémon:

• Knock Out: Win by taking six (or more) Prizes, the default way of winning.  However, even this isn't always straightforward.  While most attacks simply do damage to an opponent's Active...
    • ...some hit a Benched Pokémon...
    • ...some hit multiple Pokémon...
    • ...some place damage counters...
    • ...some KO through other attack or Ability effects.
  • Bench Out: Probably the next most likely way to win.  You lose if you have no Pokémon in play at any time.
    • This can easily happen as a side effect of going for KOs...
    • ...but some decks force your opponent's Pokémon to leave play another way.
  • Deck Out: You lose if there are no cards left in your deck to draw at the start of your turn.  Any other time technically doesn't matter, nor does the game care where the cards went (discard, field, etc.).
  • Time Out: A technicality caused by... well... real life.  The PTCGO has in-game timers.  Real tournaments can only last so long.  Even when playing for fun without an official time limit, sooner or later someone has to go somewhere and/or do something else.
  • Card Effect Based Wins: Here's what most people think of as "alternate win conditions".  There are certain card effects that, if you can satisfy them, can win you the game.  Some are banned!
    • Lost World (Call of Legends 81/95) - While this Stadium is in play, if the turn player's opponent has six (or more!) Pokémon in the Lost Zone, the turn player can use this card's effect to simply win.
      • It does not have to be your copy of Lost Zone.
      • You do have to actually use the effect (it isn't automatic).
      • Lost World doesn't care how the Pokémon wound up in the Lost Zone.
      • Cards that counted as one Pokémon in play (like a normally evolved Stage 2) count as separate in the Lost Zone.
    • Slowbrow (XY - BREAKpoint 20/122) - This card has the attack "Walk-Off Homer".  If you use it when you have just one Prize card left e.g. when KOing and taking a single Prize would win you the game anyway, Walk-Off Homer's effect says you win the game.
    • Unown (SM - Lost Thunder 90/214) - It's "DAMAGE" Ability lets you win the game if you have 66 (or more) damage counters on your Pokémon.  DAMAGE states that this card must be your Active Pokémon in order to do so, and it has to be before you attack.  Banned because players worked out a deck that let it win fairly reliably in a single turn, specifically during a player's first turn under the rules at that time.
    • Unown (SM - Lost Thunder 91/214) - It's "HAND" Ability lets you win the game if you have 35 (or more) cards in your hand.  Hand states that this card must be your Active Pokémon in order to do so, and it has to be before you attack.  Banned because players worked out a deck that let it win fairly reliably in a single turn, specifically during a player's first turn under the rules at that time.
    • Unown (SM - Lost Thunder 92/214) - It's "MISSING" Ability lets you win the game if your opponent (not you)has 12 or more Supporters in the Lost Zone.  Missing states that this card must be your Active Pokémon in order to do so, and it has to be before you attack.  Not banned, because this is actually really hard to do, and cannot even work if your opponent runs 11 or fewer Supporters.
  • Upvote 1