My innitial Feedback on the PTCGO

JC_Kane

Ok, so I wanted to give some feedback on the game as I've been playing (well got back into it) for about a week or so.  I originally played the game some well years back but it wasn't for very long due to internet and other interests.  Most of these things will be issues that I've had as opposed to positive things but I'll include them to give full thoughts on the items. So let's dive in.

One of the things I tend to do more often is the AI's in the trainer challenge.  I've been working more on playing against other players but well sometimes I get tired of being outclassed at my current skill level.  Which is a side note, I always feel like I tend to be in between ranks, where the one below me I can win most of the time, but the one I'm at, I tend to lose most of the time.  Which I'm not sure how the player search system works, but is it based on ranking? Or something to get you to face players of your skill level?  Because, the more I played the harder the player's I've fought were, granted, this is just the theme deck area as I tend to stick with that to help even out the playing field.  Yet, I still seem to run across theme decks all the time that tend to outclass me.  Or atleast my favorite Deck to use.  use.  Though on that note, that reminds me of the daily challenges.  Why do some days it's set to only work against VS (or tournament) yet not the Trainer Challenge?  It's annoying for myself, more so when I find it giving me an element of a, 'not as good theme deck' that I have.  Like today's was psychic.  I have the Mental Might, Lunala (Something guardians), and the fighting deck with Rockruff, Rhyhorn, and Riolu evolutions that just happens to also have a Meowstic.  The older decks were so hard to use in VS, which I managed to get my 500 Damage with that last deck I mentioned, despite losing a few games I played.  It can be quiet annoying as atleast the AI's from the Trainer Challenge are more even with the deck construction. Why can't all challenges be available for that?

Also, would it be possible to get more challenges? Or ways to earn items?  I understand that part of it is for money's sake but it doesn't even have to be Tokens or boosters.  I'd be fine with just getting points that can only be used to obtain Cosmetic items (avatar, coins, Deck boxes, sleeves, etc).  Yeah you can get some by doing enough daily challenges, but, they boost up those meter's So slowly that it would take days if not more to fill a single level.  In addition to this, I wish there was more with the Trainer Challenge.  Like, you get a booster for beating an equivilant of one league, and those 'gold trophy, Platinum, City' things don't really mean anything.  IN fact, once you've beaten all the available trainer's 4 times, you just get 1 token per match and nothing more.  it's  a bit disappointing.  Why can't you get something like cosmetic items or something even for beating all the AI's in the game? Or even a bit more indepth story.  I'm still not sure who Penelope's brother is, there's like 3 options.

Ofcourse, I also wish you could use custom decks in the trainer's challenge. You can only do PvP or a test battle, which you get nothing for.  It's kind of disappointing.  Though, that brings me up something about test battles.  Even if we can't earn anything from them, it would be nice if we could say, choose the deck they use.  And I'm not just talking about choose from Trainer Challenge deck's to use.  I mean, why can't we like select one of the decks we own?  Like if we want to test it out on a theme deck that's actually more recent to have an actual test.  Or what about a custom deck and to actually test it on another custom deck.  This would be very helpful.

However, another thing that would be nice would be an improvement of the AI's ability to play.  I've notice a few strange things they'd do which, while helpful if you're losing, it can be a bit boring.  A few things that come to mind that will happen.  1) Raichu, the one's who's first attack is based on 20x your benched Pokemon.  Yeah, it's odd that they will always use the 2nd attack (that discard's all it's energies) even if the other attack would do more damage.  This doesn't make sense to me.  2) speaking of that deck, The Robo Substitute (the trainer that can act as a 30 HP pokemon).  The strange thing about this, is I've seen them play this card and they'll discard it at strange times.  Once they did it on the same turn they placed it, other times They'll remove it even if they don't have a Pokemon to fill it with, or even if they have free space on the board.  It's just wierd.  3) Energy adding first.  I get that it's probably how it was coded but this had led to some strange times.  Including putting an energy on a doomed Pokemon (where it's obvious it will be KO'd in the next attack... granted this can happen even if they have another Pokemon on the bench).  Adding an energy then using super potion on that same Pokemon... lot of the time it was their first energy.  And things like that.   4) Recover moves.  This has happened alot, even more so with that Starmie with Recover.  It will always use that Recover move even if it's not taken any damage.   It happens just about every time, even more so when it's the first energy added to it.  5) Juji's uh... I forgot the Pokemon.  But I've had it happen atleast 2 or 3 times.  But it's the Pokemon that has the move that returns it to it's hand... I've had her use that move when she had no benched Pokemon and thus lost the game.  6) Mick's Camperupt EX.  I think I've seen other's do this... but it's odd.  When he's got 4 energies on it, he will always use that last move.  Which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that he never discard's any energies, thus he constantly does 0 damage.  Seriously, had a battle not long ago that I managed to not only set up my strong Pokemon (by getting the cards I needed and energies needed for their moves) but also to take it out, with just the RillaBoom's Eldegoss.  It took more than a few turns too.  I think there was another similar Pokemon, but it's the main one I remember.  7) Locked into first attack.  There's been a few Pokemon that they'll start with their first attack, and not only due they get the energies for another attack, but it's even better... and they just won't do it.  It's odd.  8 ) Randomly not attacking.  Can't say how many times the opponent has just not attacked.  Which, I understand that sometimes not attacking can be part of the strategy, especially if you need to stall a set up.  Yet, alot of these times, they don't attack for no reason. Including during winning situations.  Like literally one attack and they'd either win the game... or it'd decimate my set up (like a set up Pokemon when all I have is a base Pokemon that needs to be a stage 2) or things like that.

That's all of those, but onto that last one, there is something that I fine a tad annoying.  See, I've played a few VS and I've had player's just up and quit on me, usually because they believe they're in a no win situation.  I've even had that today as it annoyed me more because I was trying to do the Challenge for 500 damage for the Psychic Pokemon as they quit, despite I think I had atleast 3 or 4 prize cards left.  Do people who quit a game still get the 'lose' reward or something?  Because, while it's nice to get a win, and I get some just want to move on, to another game, it can be a bit frustrating.  Then you have the other hand, where I've seen player's purposely stall.  Like they'll have 1 prize card left and I'm pretty much done to 1 Pokemon (or other Pokemon that I can't set up) and then, they'll just not do the final blow.  Usually by just not attacking.  I'm not sure why they do it some times.  Like, do they just want to extend the battle?  Trolling?  Doing some challenge thing?  I'm not sure.

Anyways, those are just some of the my initial thoughts on the game, atleast issues I've seen.

• Upvote 2

On 12/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, JC_Kane said:

I'm not sure how the player search system works, but is it based on ranking? Or something to get you to face players of your skill level?  

I'd be very interested in knowing this also. For myself, it just feels random person vs random person.

Or at least my favorite Deck to use.  

What is your favorite theme deck to use?

Also, would it be possible to get more challenges? Or ways to earn items?  I understand that part of it is for money's sake but it doesn't even have to be Tokens or boosters.  I'd be fine with just getting points that can only be used to obtain Cosmetic items (avatar, coins, Deck boxes, sleeves, etc).  

I was talking to my partner the other night about this type of thing. Pokemon the card game online is a free to play game yet hasn't got anything to sell to it's customers - I find that odd. I'm betting it's something to do with how old the games tech is. It strikes me as odd that the users of PTCGO dictates the trading cost of a card/s, that the game has no modern stuff for lack of a better way of putting it like a season pass, ranked mode, a shop that's purposely static etc etc.

Of course, I also wish you could use custom decks in the trainer's challenge. You can only do PvP or a test battle, which you get nothing for.  It's kind of disappointing.  Though, that brings me up something about test battles.  Even if we can't earn anything from them, it would be nice if we could say, choose the deck they use.  And I'm not just talking about choose from Trainer Challenge deck's to use.  I mean, why can't we like select one of the decks we own?  Like if we want to test it out on a theme deck that's actually more recent to have an actual test.  Or what about a custom deck and to actually test it on another custom deck.  This would be very helpful.

I completely agree.

However, another thing that would be nice would be an improvement of the AI's ability to play. 

The AI is a lost cause imo.

Do people who quit a game still get the 'lose' reward or something?

If I remember correctly, I think they do.

I can remember reading - in game prompt - that you get points for every KO of an opponents Pokemon. Example, if we played a match and are both down to the last prize card and I quit, I'd still get a very small amount of points. If this is a "thing" the amount quitters get would be so small they would be better off just try to win/getting beat as finishing a match will always net more points seeing as the amount of points given is tied to performance.

I'm not sure why they do it some times.  Like, do they just want to extend the battle?  Trolling?  Doing some challenge thing?

They are probably just being salty. This happened to myself last night.

The guy said, "well played" and attacked but he miss counted the attacks damage, he didn't KO my card. I KO'd his 4th Charizard after checking his discard pile and knew he was out. All 4 of his rare candies were used, every Charizard and stage of evolution that comes with it were KO'd and his remaining cards needed a 2nd energy type. Effectively, he beat himself, I just helped him. Anyway, his last two turns were him either being AFK or refusing to make a move - including ending his own turn. Result, I win and he's left salty.

EDIT: I have just won six matches in a row. I have only KO'd 4 Pokemon in all these matches combined. My challenge is to KO 16 *sigh*.

Edited by GrimBeard
Adding a word and an update.
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GrimBeard said:

I was talking to my partner the other night about this type of thing. Pokemon the card game online is a free to play game yet hasn't got anything to sell to it's customers - I find that odd. I'm betting it's something to do with how old the games tech is. It strikes me as odd that the users of PTCGO dictates the trading cost of a card/s, that the game has no modern stuff for lack of a better way of putting it like a season pass, ranked mode, a shop that's purposely static etc etc.

From what I gather, the PTCGO exists to:

1. Secure The Pokémon Company's intellectual property rights.
  2. Act as a "rewards program" for those who purchase new, physical product.
  3. Act as an extended demo/tutorial for the Pokémon TCG.

At one time, it was possible to spend real-world money to buy an in-game currency (Gems).  If you spend Gems (instead of Tokens) to buy something from the store, it was tradable (instead of being trade-locked).  This feature was not available in all territories, and dropping it may have been a legal thing, as much as a technical one.

@JC_Kane Your post is rather lengthy, and a bit difficult to read.  Yes, so are mine, but there are some very long paragraphs, and numbered points that may have been better off written using actual bullet points.  I think I agree with you on some things, but I also think you may be unaware of how best to "grind" (earn) the in-game rewards.  The super simple short version is... behind Spoiler Tags, in case you don't care.

Spoiler

1. Complete Trainer Challenge to get 500 Tokens.
  2. Ask about what Theme decks are currently competitive in the Theme Format.
  3. Use Tokens to buy (from in-game shop) one of the aforementioned Theme Decks.
  4. Take it through the Trainer Challenge enough times to learn it and unlock a bonus pack.
  5. Now use it in the Theme Format to learn it even better.
  6. Learn what you can about the decks you're facing as well.
  7. Earn Tickets.
  8. Use Tickets to play in online tournaments.
  9. Win tradable booster packs.
  10. Trade those boosters (not open them) to get the cards needed for other Formats.

If you already blew the Tokens earned from the Trainer Challenge, it just takes time and patience to earn another through the Daily Log In Bonus, Daily Challenges, and some lucky wins in the Theme Format, for the Reward Ladder.

If you're not interested in other Formats, the grinding is even easier; just use your Tokens to buy the other competitive Theme Decks, and new ones as they release.

1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

From what I gather, the PTCGO exists to:

1. Secure The Pokémon Company's intellectual property rights.
  2. Act as a "rewards program" for those who purchase new, physical product.
  3. Act as an extended demo/tutorial for the Pokémon TCG.

If this is true, it's very disheartening. The PTCGO can/should be so much better than it is. I enjoy it a lot  as it is but it's impossible for myself to deny the vast potential that is wasted.

1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

Your post is rather lengthy, and a bit difficult to read.  Yes, so are mine, but there are some very long paragraphs, and numbered points that may have been better off written using actual bullet points.  I think I agree with you on some things, but I also think you may be unaware of how best to "grind" (earn) the in-game rewards.  The super simple short version is... behind Spoiler Tags, in case you don't care.

Reveal hidden contents

1. Complete Trainer Challenge to get 500 Tokens.
  2. Ask about what Theme decks are currently competitive in the Theme Format.
  3. Use Tokens to buy (from in-game shop) one of the aforementioned Theme Decks.
  4. Take it through the Trainer Challenge enough times to learn it and unlock a bonus pack.
  5. Now use it in the Theme Format to learn it even better.
  6. Learn what you can about the decks you're facing as well.
  7. Earn Tickets.
  8. Use Tickets to play in online tournaments.
  9. Win tradable booster packs.
  10. Trade those boosters (not open them) to get the cards needed for other Formats.

If you already blew the Tokens earned from the Trainer Challenge, it just takes time and patience to earn another through the Daily Log In Bonus, Daily Challenges, and some lucky wins in the Theme Format, for the Reward Ladder.

If you're not interested in other Formats, the grinding is even easier; just use your Tokens to buy the other competitive Theme Decks, and new ones as they release.

I'll start with this one as, yeah you're right, I wrote it late that night as I needed to get to bed but I wanted to do it as it was on my mind and I didn't want to forget anything... which just so happens that, I still forgot some things.  Which... ugh I can't remember what they were as of right now.  That being said, I'm not unaware on how to grind in the game.  My issues were more that I find it disappointing that there aren't any 'rewards' (if even just cosmetic) for things they already have in place.  Like, they keep track of your theme deck's progress in all three leagues in the Trainer Challenge, yet you only get an reward for winning 12 matches (I think it was 6 for the 'basic' decks).  Thus, it would be nice to get something outside a checkbox checked. 

Another issue (which may have been part of your confusion) is I mentioned that I wish the daily challenge could always be used on the Trainer Challenge.  This is more due to how hard it can be to do it in a VS or tournament battle.  Like, if I ever get a 'Dragon, Fairy, or Darkness' one, Well, I'd have to HOPE I can make a custom deck that can atleast slowly get me to the challenge.  Since custom is well harder than theme decks.  It can also be difficult due to only having an older theme deck.  Case in point, the Psychics.  Had to use the fighting deck and focus everything on using Meowstic (which thankfully it does have some items that work with it.) just to clear that because I wasn't really getting anywhere with the other two I had.

Outside of that, it'd just be nice to have more things to do and/or unlock.  Again even if it's it's own thing.  Not to mention, the daily challenge, how it increases the meter for an energy which unlocks some costmetic items of that choice, is just too slow imo.  At least more annoying to do since you can't pick the element you that day, and it's the only thing that increases that meter.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, GrimBeard said:
On 12/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, JC_Kane said:

I'm not sure how the player search system works, but is it based on ranking? Or something to get you to face players of your skill level?  

I'd be very interested in knowing this also. For myself, it just feels random person vs random person.

Yeah, I feel it's either random... or I keep slipping into the previous ranking just for a fight or two before I get back up to the other.  So yeah I dunno, probably is random.

Or at least my favorite Deck to use.  

What is your favorite theme deck to use?

That would be the Leon's Charizard one.  There's 2 Decks I tend to struggle , which is the other Charizard Deck (the one that does damage to itself to get energies onto it) and the one with the empoleon that has that memory attack that can use it's previous moves for it.

Also, would it be possible to get more challenges? Or ways to earn items?  I understand that part of it is for money's sake but it doesn't even have to be Tokens or boosters.  I'd be fine with just getting points that can only be used to obtain Cosmetic items (avatar, coins, Deck boxes, sleeves, etc).  

Yeah, it is a bit sad that the game could be alot better.  But, I guess it's just not high on their to do list... outside of like bugs.

Of course, I also wish you could use custom decks in the trainer's challenge. You can only do PvP or a test battle, which you get nothing for.  It's kind of disappointing.  Though, that brings me up something about test battles.  Even if we can't earn anything from them, it would be nice if we could say, choose the deck they use.  And I'm not just talking about choose from Trainer Challenge deck's to use.  I mean, why can't we like select one of the decks we own?  Like if we want to test it out on a theme deck that's actually more recent to have an actual test.  Or what about a custom deck and to actually test it on another custom deck.  This would be very helpful.

I completely agree.

Yup.  As I've liked the idea on doing a few different things using the TCG... one was a story the other a RP where I'd incorporate/write out the battles I have on there into the writing.  (like, instead of RPing out the thing, I'd do a battle in the game and have that be what happens in the story).  Just, it's hard to do multiple characters (especially in the RP idea) which limits my choices.  To A) Use the Trainer Challenge's Decks for theirs.  B ) Find someone to help me with it (assuming they have the cards I need... and doesn't work as well with the RP idea), C) base it on a random battle I have in VS... which I feel a little bad about using their deck ideas and battle strategy for my thing, without permission... and chat doesn't help with that XD

However, another thing that would be nice would be an improvement of the AI's ability to play. 

The AI is a lost cause imo

I dunno.  I do believe it's possible to fix some of the causes here.  Like, for Recover, a simple check to see if the card is at FUll HP should fix that.  And Juji's thing, a check to make sure she's got a benched Pokemon.  I'm not sure how they have the AI set up, but it's fixable imo.

Do people who quit a game still get the 'lose' reward or something?

If I remember correctly, I think they do.

I can remember reading - in game prompt - that you get points for every KO of an opponents Pokemon. Example, if we played a match and are both down to the last prize card and I quit, I'd still get a very small amount of points. If this is a "thing" the amount quitters get would be so small they would be better off just try to win/getting beat as finishing a match will always net more points seeing as the amount of points given is tied to performance.

Isn't that just one of the challenges?  **** number of Pokemon with said type?  Outside of that, I mean, I've had people quit before the game loaded up.  Granted, I want to believe it's a connection issue, yet I still seemed to get points as if I had won.

I'm not sure why they do it some times.  Like, do they just want to extend the battle?  Trolling?  Doing some challenge thing?

They are probably just being salty. This happened to myself last night.

Salty?  I mean, There are times where I'm being decimated from the word go, so not sure what they'd be salty against?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JC_Kane said:

I dunno.  I do believe it's possible to fix some of the causes here.  Like, for Recover, a simple check to see if the card is at FUll HP should fix that.  And Juji's thing, a check to make sure she's got a benched Pokemon.  I'm not sure how they have the AI set up, but it's fixable imo.

Yeah I do agree that it's fixable, I just meant I don't believe it will be fixed. Admittedly, even a small tweak would be a vast improvement.

1 hour ago, JC_Kane said:

Salty?  I mean, There are times where I'm being decimated from the word go, so not sure what they'd be salty against?

I think I misunderstood something (?). I meant a lot of players up and leave when they think they are going to get beat and was suggesting that that's what could have been happening. Yeah, I defo think I misunderstood something somewhere.