Whats the point?!

Shanergamer372

Things about this game are amazing i can play pokemon with my friends across the world but currently things are terrible, i keep getting paired with people who use a deck with only 2 pokemon and the rest is a heal and energy spam items and it irritates me beyond belief because no matter how you fight them you will lose! so i ask everyone here, whats the point?! whats the point in continuing to play if i cant even play in verses?!

I don't know why you cannot play your friends in versus?  If it has to be unlocked, I unlocked it quickly, many many years ago.

The thing about two Pokémon and healing is confusing as well.  The main thing is you're a newbie not learning how to play in the Trainer Challenge or Theme Format, and that is probably the main source of your problems.  Here is how to get started in the PTCGO, without spending money on the game, in a relatively fast and easy manner.  I don't want to go into exhaustive detail, so ask when something isn't clear:

1. Use the Trainer Challenge to learn the rules of the game, or if you learned with physical cards, the PUI interface.  This should also help you build up to the 500 Tokens required for a competitive Theme Deck.  Definitely ask to see what Theme Decks are currently competitive; it usually will be something from the last year or two, but exactly what ones vary.  Yes, the PTCGO Theme Format has its own metagame.  Some Theme Decks may be the basis for a budget deck in another Format, but that isn't our primary focus and it also isn't always the case.
  2. Use the Theme Format to get used to the PTCGO's time limits, and other aspects unique to facing actual, live opponents.  Use the Theme Format to grind in-game rewards, like on the Reward Ladder (including Tickets).  Use it to learn the Theme Format's competitive scene by facing and/or earning and learning all the better Theme Decks.
  3. Build up a solid stash of tickets, and then use them to participate in 8-person online tournaments (under the Events tab).  These tournaments are running all the time, though sometimes it takes longer for eight players to join the queue than at other times.  Your goal is to finish in at least 4th-place (in other words, win at least the first round).  If you do, you'll earn at least one tradable booster pack.
  4. DO.  NOT.  OPEN.  IT.  (or them if you win more than one)
  5. Tradable packs are the true currency of the game, because Tokens cannot be exchanged between players, nor can the in-game items purchased with Tokens.
  6. Different packs have different "trade ratios".  People usually discuss card values in terms of how many generic, hypothetical booster packs with trade ratios of 1:1 they're worth.  Adjust accordingly when determining prices for actual packs.  Really low demand packs may not be accepted for really rare stuff.
  7. When you get good at trading, you can chance opening packs... or if you're just not interested in progressing quickly.  While the online trading system makes it easier to find someone who actually wants Card X for Card Y, it also means you're competing with everyone else who offers the same or similar trades.
  8. If you're bad at trading, don't worry too much.  There are trading "companies" that basically work like convenience stores.  Like real-world convenience stores, it means their prices are higher, but you usually don't have to wait too long to get the exact card or cards you want.

Yeah, still a bit long of an explanation, and one I've given so many times for so long I sometimes forget stuff.  Again, ask questions as necessary. ;)

Edited by Otakutron
  • Upvote 2

I understand the opening post like "I love to play with friends, but eventually I wanna play versus randomly too and there it's just frustrating" - right?

I wonder why you get so many of this type of opponents, I just occasionally meet them. But yeah, I hate decks with only the likes of Zacian V or Reshiram x Charizard GX. But I beat them them quite sometimes. You have to find counters for these decks if they frustrate you the most. Good counters against Zacian V are Stadium Cards which disable abilities or that Dust Island(?), where you can use poison/confusion and even changing the Pokémon won't help getting rid of it. Also attacks which disable the use of Item cards :D In general you gotta make it hard for those OP Mons to excel... also the two cards I mentioned usually make 230 HP damage, so you can go for Pokémon with a higher Base HP Stat, if your get your hands on those (basically other Tag Team Mons). Decks with only Kopplosio are another thing I meet sometimes, but I think I always won as they are really vulnerable :)

Stay strong ~~

12 hours ago, Shanergamer372 said:

Things about this game are amazing i can play pokemon with my friends across the world but currently things are terrible, i keep getting paired with people who use a deck with only 2 pokemon and the rest is a heal and energy spam items and it irritates me beyond belief because no matter how you fight them you will lose! so i ask everyone here, whats the point?! whats the point in continuing to play if i cant even play in verses?!

Hello @Shanergamer372

Welcome to the forums! 

Thank you for coming up with your questions. I believe that these were usefully answered by the fellow trainer @Otakutron and @Chrolo4. Thank you both! :) 

17 hours ago, Shanergamer372 said:

...i keep getting paired with people who use a deck with only 2 Pokemon and the rest is a heal and energy spam items...

I won't lie, in the hundreds of matches I've had online (maybe thousands?) I've never seen a deck as you describe.

In saying that, twice this week I've played against two people who only - tried - to use a single Pokemon card which confused me - perhaps what you describe is what they tried - and failed - to do.

Can anyone clarify a deck that would use this type of strategy? The concept is so alien to me I can't even think of one.

Edited by GrimBeard

1 hour ago, GrimBeard said:

I won't lie, in the hundreds of matches I've online (maybe thousands?) I've never seen a deck as you describe.

In saying that, twice this week I've played against two people who only - tried - to use a single Pokemon card which confused me - perhaps what you describe is what they tried - and failed - to do.

Can anyone clarify a deck that would use this type of strategy? The concept is so alien to me I can't even think of one.

In general, it’s a practice that newer players typically try, usually due to a lack of resources on their end. While 1 Zacian V for example, isn’t really basis enough for a deck, it’s the strongest card they may have at the moment, so they try to build solely around it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

In general, it’s a practice that newer players typically try, usually due to a lack of resources on their end. While 1 Zacian V for example, isn’t really basis enough for a deck, it’s the strongest card they may have at the moment, so they try to build solely around it.

And it can work against other newbies who lack the cards and/or knowledge to counter such a tactic.  Or maybe do have an idea, but lack the knowledge to implement it without compromising their other match-ups.

Addendum: Unless they're facing a pure, damage soaking stall deck... but those usually contain more than just one or two Pokémon.  Also, I don't know if any such decks are currently competitive.  A historical example would be the Wailord-EX stall decks; they included some control elements to keep your opponent's attackers from building to full power, but were mostly about Wailord-EX (then the highest HP Pokémon) just surviving an attack or two before being healed by Max Potion, bounced with Super Scoop Up, etc.

Edited by Otakutron

The deck I currently use I won’t lie has 8 Pokémon cards in it but it’s technically only two cuz it’s 4 of same v and it’s vmax cards the rest is energy remover,healing items,supporters like bosses order and draw supporters I also play in expanded which makes it way easier to win cuz people seems to quit when I use healing or bosses orders which makes no sense cuz every deck uses some kind of gusting cards