beginner question

Tee_cher

After I clear the trainer challenge, I bought charizard theme deck, and collected about 500 coins playing versus

which is better? buy another 500 coin deck or  buy a card pack and make deck?

If the latter is better, please recommend me a deck easy to make 

sorry for poor english :(

I would recommend to get every single Theme of the game, but if you are not so interested in old sets, get at least 3 or 4 of the last Theme decks to get more cards to build custom later. Some of the XY, SUM and B&W era contain several staple trainers, not only but mainly for Expanded, so it's a good idea to check what's in every deck before buy, to get the cards you could be interested in.

Edited by Chasista
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tee_cher said:

After I clear the trainer challenge, I bought charizard theme deck, and collected about 500 coins playing versus

Hello @Tee_cher

Welcome to the forums! :) 

Your English is really good, cheer up! 

4 hours ago, Chasista said:

I would recommend to get every single Theme of the game, but if you are not so interested in old sets, get at least 3 or 4 of the last Theme decks to get more cards to build custom later. Some of the XY, SUM and B&W era contain several staple trainers, not only but mainly for Expanded, so it's a good idea to check what's in every deck before buy, to get the cards you could be interested in.

Thank you, @Chasista, for helping out the new forum member! We appreciate that! 

On 12/4/2020 at 9:15 AM, Tee_cher said:

So far, you English seems about as good/bad as your average native speaker.  We'll keep it in mind, though, if there's something we don't understand. ;)  Likewise, if one of us says something that doesn't make sense, let us know in case it has to do with the language.

As for what to spend your 500 Tokens (coins) on, I'd go with another Theme Deck.  I'm a bit out of touch, so I can't tell you exactly which Theme Deck.  Sorry, used to play mostly on my tablet, but my old tablet cannot handle the PTCGO anymore.  I could play on my desktop, but I'm more likely to be doing something else if I'm there.

What I will explain is why you go for the Theme Deck.

1. There are certain cards you can reliably obtain through Theme Decks, and they're usually priced decently this way.
  2. When you go after anything not in a Theme Deck, you're better off trading for it.

Hopefully some of the people who are current on the  Theme Format can help you pick a good Theme Format deck, one you'll enjoy but which is also competitive and/or has cards you'll need long term.  After that, I recommend you continue to grind in the Theme Format, until you know what decks are good first hand from facing them, and also how best to beat them using your Theme Decks.  Then, once you have enough Tickets built up to participate in some online tournaments (under the Events tab), do so in the Theme Format.  You can win tradable booster packs that way.  I recommend not opening them, but trading them for some of the cards you need.  Repeat this process until you have a deck you are comfortable using to grind the Reward Ladder and future tournaments in either the Standard or Expanded Format.

You can open your tradable booster packs, but it takes a lot more effort to trade all the cards you don't need from them, and the odds are poor you'll actually get the cards you want or need from a single pack.  When opening packs, tradable or not tradabale, I prefer to open now fewer than five at a time for that reason.  Tradable packs are like money for buying the cards you need on the PTCGO.  Non-tradable packs are still useful, but I like to let them (or the Tokens to buy them) accumulate, since the odds of getting what you want decrease as your collection grows.  Because, the more cards you already have from the set, the fewer you need. ;)

• Like 1

I stuck to one theme (Water) at the beginning in order to focus my efforts in make a more or less consistent deck while learning the rules and usual plays. then as my collection grew i opened to more types. Do the trianer challenges so you get lots of booster packs and can have access to more meta cards like GX/V pokemon. I initally got two different water decks and i did more or less decent for a brief.

Another thing that could help is to get a strong theme deck and play theme format in versus so you can get an easier time climbing up the ladder and get the prizes. New Vivid Voltage Charizard Deck and the newer Dragonite one are pretty good against the other theme decks

Edited by Sturmfalken