Concession Etiquette

hemantjup78

I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about conceding matches and using the available text/emoji during a match.

If my deck bricks I’ll usually throw a heartbreak emoji or something out there and concede.

If we’ve had a pretty good match but it’s apparent that I’ll lose I’ll usually stick it out so they can get the satisfaction of finishing a match.

Is this what people like? Would you rather someone conceded sooner into the match so that you can get on with grinding the ladder?

If someone has me beat on the next attack and they start around instead of just finishing me off I’ll save my own time and bounce. I’m not going to watch you dig into your deck and attach energy to your third powered up Zacian instead of just ending it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the happy face emoji used in a non smug context.

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
non-official URLs are not allowed on the forums
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, hemantjup78 said:

If someone has me beat on the next attack and they start ******* around instead of just finishing me off I’ll save my own time and bounce. I’m not going to watch you dig into your deck and attach energy to your third powered up Zacian instead of just ending it.

This is my sentiment as well. Their time might not be worth something but mines is i.e. I just leave.

13 hours ago, hemantjup78 said:

I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about conceding matches and using the available text/emoji during a match.

If there's no point to the match then I just leave it. I don't use the text/emoji options before leaving. It doesn't bother me if someone else uses them at all tbh because I don't respond to them. There's too many ways a simple line of text can be interpreted so I pay them no heed.

14 hours ago, hemantjup78 said:

Is this what people like? Would you rather someone conceded sooner into the match so that you can get on with grinding the ladder?

If am grinding for a reward I naturally prefer the opponent to stay (1) but since they have no way to know this, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they concede or not. If I'm grinding the ladder then yeah I'd like them to leave asap but again they have no way to know this so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

(1) If I need to do 1,000 damage with fighting Pokemon

@hemantjup78  That is pretty much how I operate.  You cannot be certain your about your opponent's priorities.  Maybe they're grinding the Ladder and would welcome quick concessions.  Maybe they're grinding a Challenge and really wish you'd stick it out.  Maybe they just like to actually finish what they started - kind of how our brains are wired, FYI - so abruptly quitting is rather frustrating.  I try to read the situation, and react according.

I will add, however, that playing even when you're guaranteed to lose is part of how you become a better player.  Especially if you're wrong and you weren't guaranteed to lose. ;)

Oh, and a fun bit of history:

Before, the PTCGO, when playing in person or online using unofficial means, etiquette in my area/among my online group was that:

• If you needed to concede, you still explained yourself (time/circumstances permitting).
  • If you wanted to concede, you asked if your opponent minded, as they'd just invested time in getting setup, and were also looking forward to the game you agreed to play with them.
  • If you wanted to "showboat", going all out with your last turn, you also could ask to do that.  If someone was particularly upset at how they lost, in a hurry, etc. they'd say no, but if not, no problem!

On 12/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, hemantjup78 said:

If my deck bricks I’ll usually throw a heartbreak emoji or something out there and concede.

If we’ve had a pretty good match but it’s apparent that I’ll lose I’ll usually stick it out so they can get the satisfaction of finishing a match.

If someone has me beat on the next attack and they start around instead of just finishing me off I’ll save my own time and bounce. I’m not going to watch you dig into your deck and attach energy to your third powered up Zacian instead of just ending it.

Hello @hemantjup78

We welcome you to the forums! :)  

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Concession Etiquette. That's an interesting topic to discuss. 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, hemantjup78 said:

I usually use the happy face when me and my opponent both have to reshuffle due to not having basics on our hand or when we have the same board state in the beginning.

I also use it a lot when I severely misplay or my opponent somehow manages to find the exact counterplay to my strategy or gets very lucky in general.

But yeah, the smugness of it has to be taken into consideration. Yesterday, me and my opponent both had Smeargle up front (Legacy), so I used the happy face, however, I was a bit late and so it looked like I laughed at him for failing two coin tosses for Dual Ball and he instantly conceded. I felt really bad😅

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1