Sign in to follow this  
gayimagis37

Can someone explain how typings work in the TCG?

gayimagis37

So I’ve been collecting cards for a while now and I’ve been thinking about trying to actually play the game, but I never understood how typings world in the TCG. For example, certain Pokémon are different types but have the same symbol, such as Ghost and Psychic. So if I have a psychic type Pokémon and it has the psychic/ghost/fairy symbol (for the weakness) am I supposed to know that the weakness only refers to ghost type Pokémon? Or do all Pokémon with the psychic/ghost/fairy symbol do 2X damage (To a psychic Pokémon)? Also, what about types with multiple weaknesses? For example, if on a dragon card it says fairy 2X weakness, is it only fairy Pokémon that can do double the amount even though dragon types are weak to dragon and ice types?

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
non-official URLs are not allowed on the forums

OelBoy

You can pretty much disregard everything you know about typings from the main games.

Every Pokemon card has a Type printed in the top right of the card. Whenever a Pokemon attacks it does damage of the Type printed on the card (so a Fighting type Pokemon card will always do Fighting type damage, even if the Attack is called Tackle, Ice Punch etc.). When calculating the damage you have to take a look at the Defending Pokemon's card. If it has an Energy type symbol under Weakness and an operator (usually 2x) you have to alter the Damage dealt in the way the operator says (in this case multiplying by 2) if the Attacking Pokemon is of the specified type. Same with Resistance (which usually says -20 or -30).

There are ways for Pokemon to be dual types in the card game. Some are printed that way and most can become dual types by some Abilities. In that case, if such a dual typed Pokemon attacks and the Defending Pokemon is weak against one type and resist the other, you first apply Weakness to the Damage, then you apply Resistance.

So yeah, you don't need to have any clue or understanding of the main games in order to play the TCG, it just helps memorizing some things.

Edited by OelBoy
Corrected the operators for Resistance
  • Upvote 2

OelBoy

And the Pokémon Company tries to resemble the actual weaknesses and resistances of the main games.

So most originally Flying type Pokemon (which are Colorless in the card game) have a Resistance against Fighting types (which also includes Ground in the card game) while originally Normal type Pokemon (also Colorless in the TCG) almost all have a Weakness against Fighting types.

Some are a bit harder to figure out. Yveltal, for example, resists Fighting in the TCG, even though it's neutral to it in the main games. But since Ground is also grouped with Fighting in the TCG it makes sense.

Or some Darkness type Pokemon in the TCG are weak against Grass types because Grass in the TCG also includes Bug type Pokemon, which are effective against Dark Pokemon in the main games. And so on.

So yeah, you don't have to memorize anything but rather just go by what's printed on the cards.

• Upvote 1

Otakutron

On 11/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, OelBoy said:

Same with Resistance (which usually says +20 or +30).

I think you mean -20 or -30.  Yes, if you're mathematically inclined, this is a bit confusing.  You'll usually be told to subtract Resistance from the damage being done when the types match, but technically you're adding a negative.  In other words, if your Fighting type Pokémon attacks something with -30 Fighting Resistance, you add negative 30 (subtract positive 30) from the damage you do.

OelBoy
10 hours ago, Otakutron said:

I think you mean -20 or -30.  Yes, if you're mathematically inclined, this is a bit confusing.  You'll usually be told to subtract Resistance from the damage being done when the types match, but technically you're adding a negative.  In other words, if your Fighting type Pokémon attacks something with -30 Fighting Resistance, you add negative 30 (subtract positive 30) from the damage you do.

You are right, my bad!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this