PACKS: What to buy Vivid Voltage or Darkness Ablaze?

Zerdoman

Hi guys,

I recently came back to ptcgo after not having played for quite a while (since Ultra Prism came out). I am starting to realize the meta changed completely and I am lacking many essential cards to play Standard or even Expanded format. Therefore I want to find a strategy to buy packs from the in-game store (the ones that cost 200 coins). If I were to choose between Vivid Voltage or Darkness Ablaze, which one would you recommend me to get, taking into account the potential cards I could pull?

Apart from these two sets, what other recent sets contain cards that you think are essential to build decks?

Thanks in advance :)

Definitely, definitely Darkness Ablaze. Crobat V, Eternatus V and Vmax, Centiskorch V and Vmax are pretty much the best cards you could get right now, and they all can be pulled from DAA.

• Like 2

For generic cards to get back into the game, I'd invest in the Sword and Shield base set. It contains staples like Quick Ball, Marnie, Professor's Research, and more, that you'll likely want to have multiple copies of for your decks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ellomello044208 said:

For generic cards to get back into the game, I'd invest in the Sword and Shield base set. It contains staples like Quick Ball, Marnie, Professor's Research, and more, that you'll likely want to have multiple copies of for your decks.

For those cards I'd rather recommend getting a solid Theme Deck and trying to win a tournament with it as you can get these "older" Standard staples a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zerdoman said:

Yo @OelBoy thanks for the tip. What Theme Decks do you think are the most powerful at the moment?

Ehm, I'm actually not quite sure atm, has been some time since I played Theme tournaments. I really liked to play the Empoleon Theme Deck in tournaments as it easily countered the "old" Charizard deck which many people played and had quite some good matchups against most other Theme decks, albeit not being too easy to play effectively. With some training it was a pretty devastating deck. I could see it being relevant still because of the new Charizard deck (and generally because hitting 100 on bench every turn is quite hefty).

Soaring Storm was also a great deck which really rewarded you if you knew what you were doing.

However, as I said, I don't know the current meta and maybe there are new top-tier decks.

Edited by OelBoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@OelBoy is pretty much spot-on with their observations, Unseen Depths and Soaring Storm are definitely the two Theme Decks to play. Soaring Storm has a really strong Pokemon line-up overall, but Unseen Depths' Empoleon can sweep almost anything. Both of the decks have the benefit of having the potential to OHKO a Charizard VIV, something that gives them the edge over other decks in the format. Another deck that can emerge as a counter to both of these is Torrential Cannon, Golduck's snipe for 90 is very formidable against both of them.

• Upvote 2

On 11/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, Zerdoman said:

Yo @OelBoy thanks for the tip. What Theme Decks do you think are the most powerful at the moment?

On 11/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, ellomello044208 said:

@OelBoy is pretty much spot-on with their observations, Unseen Depths and Soaring Storm are definitely the two Theme Decks to play. Soaring Storm has a really strong Pokemon line-up overall, but Unseen Depths' Empoleon can sweep almost anything. Both of the decks have the benefit of having the potential to OHKO a Charizard VIV, something that gives them the edge over other decks in the format. Another deck that can emerge as a counter to both of these is Torrential Cannon, Golduck's snipe for 90 is very formidable against both of them.

I agree, Unseen Depths and Soaring storm are both good decks. Some decks, such as the Zacian theme deck have good trainers(metal saucer). Relentless Flame is also pretty decent.

On 11/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, Zerdoman said:

If I were to choose between Vivid Voltage or Darkness Ablaze, which one would you recommend me to get, taking into account the potential cards I could pull?

I suggest Vivid Voltage because you can hit it big on full art, rainbow rare, and even gold trainers. So far, I have a full art opal, a rainbow rare nessa, and a gold cape of toughness. I also pulled an aegislash v and vmax. Champions path and hidden fates are a must-buy too, but you cant get those packs at the in-game shop, unfortunately.

Edited by DiegoEscu