2020 Greninja BREAK

Zerdoman

Hi guys,

I recently went back to ptcgo after quite some time without playing (around the time ultra prism came out). I had a super fun Greninja BREAK sniping deck, and have been trying to update it with more recent cards to pump it up in Expanded. However, I am still not familiar enough with all the cards that might be helpful for the deck. I'd love if you guys could suggest some further changes to it. I drop you my list here:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 3 Froakie BKP 38
* 1 Staryu BKP 25
* 1 Tapu Fini-GX BUS 39
* 4 Frogadier BKP 39
* 1 Starmie EVO 31
* 1 Greninja XY 41
* 3 Greninja BKP 40
* 3 Greninja BREAK BKP 41

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Nessa VIV 157
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 3 Evosoda GEN 62
* 2 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Skyla BKT 148
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 N NVI 92
* 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 10

* 7 Water Energy Energy 3
* 3 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The idea is to have a Frogadier by T2 using Water Duplicates and getting all the other Frogadiers on the bench. Then by turn 3 evolving these into Greninjas and by turn 4 getting the BREAKs out. With the ban on Wally and the new rule for T1 supporters it is a difficult deck to set up. Tapu Fini's GX attack is used for stalling and getting this extra needed time to set up the ninjas. Guzma and Enhanced Hammer are also helpful in that sense. You generally concede 1-2 prizes before having all set up, but once the ninjas start sniping, the deck has potential to pierce through anything.

Any advice is welcome :)

• Like 1

Based on how the Expanded meta has changed since you last played, Greninja BKT isn't as strong any more. I'd suggest using Greninja DET instead, it can deal 50 damage to 2 Pokemon, which helps set up Knockouts, as well as potentially dodging damage with Evasion Jutsu. If you choose to use this Pokemon, I'd also consider adding in some of the Wash Water Energy to bypass the energy discard effect of Ultra Necrozma CEC's attack (a popular Expanded archetype at the moment). I'd also suggest increasing your count of Enhanced Hammer to 3-4 to better answer the decks with a lot of Special Energy.

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Upvote 2

Yo @ellomello044208 thanks a lot for the tips, very useful information.

I need to get hold of some of these Greninja DET. However, a very useful feature of the Greninja BKP is that they do not have retreat cost, being able to hit two Giant Water Shurikens with the Greninja BREAK in a single turn. To do so with Greninja DET I would either need to play float stone or use Guzma, which is also a possibility, but I think it further complicates the deck. Additionally, the ability lock with Greninja BKP's attack is also great against decks that rely on abilities. I guess I will need to find a good balance but there is definitely potential for an updated fun deck.

In any case, thanks a lot for your tips :)