rubasrosh47

So, I've been playing Pokemon TCG online, and I gotta say, this is a prime example of Pay to Win

rubasrosh47

Now arguably this could be said with any trading card game, but I really feel it in this game. It's a free game, you get a few basic decks, and you can earn packs for free, very slowly, but to actually make the decks that have these extremely rare and powerful cards, you need to buy dozens of packs IRL to get online codes.

Now to be fair, I do love that buy a pack IRL, get a pack digitally system, I think it's great, but it's the only effective way to get packs. You can play against the NPCs, and whenever you beat them enough to get 4 stars (think building exp points by playing them enough) then you get another pack. 4 star everyone in an entire tournament, and you get a bunch of packs, but this takes HOURS to do, and thats assuming you're winning.

Of course as you play you get coins, which you can buy packs with. Typically you get anywhere between 1-6 coins from an online match against another player, and sometimes you get bonuses that range from 5-15 for things like daily bonuses. But here are your options for buying cards in the game, you can buy a 5 card pack, for 95 coins, a 10 card pack for 195 (and it's only from one set, you can't even buy full packs from recent sets) or you can buy a deck for 500 coins. Needless to say this is not the most efficient way of getting cards.

So, this might just seem like a rant, like, obviously tcgs have it so the more you spend the more you win, but pokemon tcg online does it worse then other card games. It makes you feel like you're playing a free game, and then makes you spend to be good at it. If you look at Magic the gathering, you can make a lot of great decks, with different types of themes, and very cheaply.

• Downvote 3

Otakutron
11 hours ago, rubasrosh47 said:

Now arguably this could be said with any trading card game, but I really feel it in this game. It's a free game, you get a few basic decks, and you can earn packs for free, very slowly, but to actually make the decks that have these extremely rare and powerful cards, you need to buy dozens of packs IRL to get online codes.

How slow is "very slowly" to you?  I haven't purchased any Pokémon TCG products since before the Pokémon TCG Online came about.  Since then, I've been gifted like... three Redemption Code booster packs?  Everything else is about learning how to trade in a trade-ing card game.  Yes, you need to earn tradable booster packs to do so.  We usually get a new thread where someone explains it once every couple of months (at the longest).

• Play the Trainer Challenge at least a little to learn how the PTCGO handles versus using cards in real-life.  If you need to, you can also use it to help you grind out your first 500 Tokens, to purchase one of the better, current Theme Decks.
  • Then start playing in the Theme Format for the Reward Ladder.
  • While the trade-locked cards and booster packs can help, the goal is to earn Tickets and learn the Theme Format's metagame.
  • Tickets will let you then play in the Theme Format, and you should know enough that it is not purely luck in who wins.
  • Do not open tradable booster packs.  Instead, save up, and slowly use them and tradable chests to "buy" what you need for a budget deck.
  • Learn how to trade competently; the PTCGO is not the physical game, so make sure you understand how prices and practices can vary.
  • Repeat the process, in other Formats unless you prefer to stick to Theme (some of us do, when it comes to grinding) to improve your deck.

How long this all takes will vary from person to person.  Not only does schedule matter; so does how quickly you learn how to play and trade well.  If you're really good and spend about 20 hours per week on the game, the above process should take a few weeks at most.  Less time and/or less skill means it takes longer, but unless you're lacking in both time and skill, it still should only take a few months to assemble a the digital equivalent of a competitive deck.

For those who do want to spend money on the PTCGO but are not interested in buying physical cards, you can find a reputable seller of the Redemption Code cards to redeem in the PTCGO.  I've never done this, I haven't compared prices recently (especially for games I don't play), but the last I knew this was one of the least expensive online TCGs to play.  So, if it isn't for you... you may want to explain what you're doing and ask about getting some help. :)

Edited by Otakutron
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

LewisMiles87851
On 11/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, rubasrosh47 said:

Now to be fair, I do love that buy a pack IRL, get a pack digitally system, I think it's great, but it's the only effective way to get packs. You can play against the NPCs, and whenever you beat them enough to get 4 stars (think building exp points by playing them enough) then you get another pack. 4 star everyone in an entire tournament, and you get a bunch of packs, but this takes HOURS to do, and thats assuming you're winning.

Of course as you play you get coins, which you can buy packs with. Typically you get anywhere between 1-6 coins from an online match against another player, and sometimes you get bonuses that range from 5-15 for things like daily bonuses. But here are your options for buying cards in the game, you can buy a 5 card pack, for 95 coins, a 10 card pack for 195 (and it's only from one set, you can't even buy full packs fro *********************** or you can buy a deck for 500 coins. Needless to say this is not the most efficient way of getting cards.

So, this might just seem like a rant, like, obviously tcgs have it so the more you spend the more you win, but pokemon tcg online does it worse then other card games. It makes you feel like you're playing a free game, and then makes you spend to be good at it. If you look at Magic the gathering, you can make a lot of great decks, with different types of themes, and very cheaply.

i agree

Edited by LewisMiles87851

GrimBeard
On 11/21/2020 at 5:27 AM, Otakutron said:
  • Play the Trainer Challenge at least a little to learn how the PTCGO handles. 
  • Then start playing in the Theme Format for the Reward Ladder.
  • While the trade-locked cards and booster packs can help, the goal is to earn Tickets and learn the Theme Format's metagame.
  • Tickets will let you then play in the Theme Format, and you should know enough that it is not purely luck in who wins.
  • Learn how to trade competently; the PTCGO is not the physical game, so make sure you understand how prices and practices can vary.
  • Repeat the process, in other Formats unless you prefer to stick to Theme (some of us do, when it comes to grinding) to improve your deck.

This is literally what I have done. Using the in game coins I've unlocked more than half the theme decks and won/been given as rewards lots of booster packs. I'm sure @Otakutron will facepalm here when I add.... I've opened them all 😄

I admit, I did start because I bought my son 3 theme decks to play with - in real life - so I had a small step up in the themed arena using those.

It's took - literally - until tonight for myself to say, I now have at least 1 competitive deck for Legacy, Standard (single prize deck aka a "rogue deck"?), Extended (again a single prize deck/"rogue deck"?) and as mentioned above Themed matches.

I started on the 30th of September this year so for myself, Pokemon TCG has been really accessible in terms of gathering information and providing myself with multiple ways to acquire what I want.

I find highly interesting we seem to have had entirely different experiences.

• Upvote 2

Fireduck979058

I don’t think it’s p2w as winning a game is giving you some in game coin system such as Minecraft skyblock and then you can buy a online pack it’s like you work for packs 

jcgoble3

It's not pay-to-win, but it's definitely pay-to-win-faster.

Otakutron
On 12/24/2020 at 12:42 AM, jcgoble3 said:

It's not pay-to-win, but it's definitely pay-to-win-faster.

Yes, and that is kind of the point.

The PTCGO is

• A means of securing intellectual property rights
  • A reward program for those buying new product
  • An extended online tutorial

in addition to being a general, online game.

There are still unofficial programs to play the Pokémon TCG online, but now there's a way that technically supports the brand.  After all, if all the free-to-players vanished, the player-base would probably be paltry, and that isn't fun. ;)  If you're a loyal customer, or willing to buy Redemption Code cards (which still adds more value to the packs customers buy), you can more easily acquire what you need to build a competitive deck.  Which sounds kind of right to me; this isn't some fan project, after all. XD