Trade Improvements + Text Search Efficiency

Theolithical

Theolithical

Hello PTCGO Team!

Time and money can be saved by removing a few taxing processes on your servers.

1. Based on the runtime I'm observing, it looks like the current search process resembles a SQL statement of "where cardname like "%lucario%" 

This type of logic is extremely taxing and tedious from a search perspective, and the issue is only going to grow as the card library continues to expand. String-based searching has improved significantly since this app was first developed, and you could stand to cut down on a ton taxing requests by upgrading. Really, anything based on Apache Lucene (like Solr or Elasticsearch) could really improve the process.

What are the chances of incorporating elasticsearch or Apache Solr into your trade/card search algorithms?  I almost never use the trade function due to its terrible runtimes. 

2. Additionally, while I have your attention, I also recommend a max # of daily trades for all accounts. This will address three problems:

- The number of trades is slowing down your system. By limiting total trades, you're able to cap the transactions that happen while still allowing users to get the cards they need. No player should require 30 new cards every day. If you do a quick analysis of daily trades per account, you'll likely find <10% of accounts account for 90%+ of trades.

- The average age of users varies wildly - if you cap the max # of trades, you make it so the 30-year-old won't make 500 daily trades that rip off any kids that don't understand their card's value. They now need to log in daily to make their 25 trades. It becomes a lot harder when they're working a full time job.

- Like it or not, people are making money from this game by trading using external sites. By slowing-down the cash-out process, you limit claims that this process is likened to gambling (see Europe's recent policies on lootboxes) - your legal team should be aware of this if it isn't already. Additionally, you limit how much your team needs to crack down on players selling cards (unrelated: I'd love to see a social network diagram that shows the relationships of banned accounts and users that they trade with... please reach out to me if you haven't done this and want help).

All the best,

Theo

Edited by Theolithical
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd also love to have a message system while in trades. It would make it useful to know what they want from a certain trade. Like "I don't want air balloon, can I have Evolution incense, Welder, Fire crystal or rare candy Instead?". We can't communicate that in counter trades.

This could make for some problems like harassment, but I think it could really improve the overall trading system.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SameTulipa said:

Like "I don't want air balloon, can I have Evolution incense, Welder, Fire crystal or rare candy Instead?". We can't communicate that in counter trades.

Happens so much. 

Not a fan of limiting the number of trades every user would have to abide by.

I think we need the moderation team to start taking action against those who are setting up numerous deceptive offers, which account for many of the trades you are initially talking about most likely.

If the game was to say, limit the amount of trades as a "punishment" for these users who get reported a certain amount of times by various users in a short time-span, it would be fair as it would be a good middle-ground between outright banning somebody, and continuing to allow them to run wild.

Quite a few of these users who spam the trading market with deceptive offers are doing so because they sell in-game cards/items for IRL cash, and by limiting them, it makes it just a little bit harder for them to achieve their desired end-goal.

Also, it would help that if a user got "punished" in the manner which I spoke, they would hopefully be added to a list of users to watch to see if they do any heavily one sided trades that would indicate that they are breaking ToS. Hopefully staff would research a little beforehand if so to make sure they are not an Influencer, or other popular player in the community where they do massive giveaways, etc. by chance though.

Mod_GuruLot

Hello Trainers, 

Thank you all for sharing your suggestions and opinions on trades!  

I've passed them along to the development team so that this can be taken a further look into. 

3 hours ago, MuhQ said:

also having an option for "not for trade" like you have "for trade", "for preview" etc. for marking cards so they don't show up in trading.

Mega yes please!

Mod_GuruLot
12 hours ago, MuhQ said:

also having an option for "not for trade" like you have "for trade", "for preview" etc. for marking cards so they don't show up in trading.

Hello @MuhQ

Thank you for the feedback, this has been passed along. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I recently was about to set up a trade request when I noticed it was showing Tokens by them.  Am I correct in assuming that you need like 48 tokens to have a trade for 48 hours?  If I'm mistaken (cuz I set up 2 public trades 48 hours ago and didn't notice my Token count go down, then again I wasn't paying attention to it.) then, well guess that's not a problem.  Yet, if it is the case, then wouldn't having to use Tokens just to set up a trade a limit enough?

On 12/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, JC_Kane said:

So, I recently was about to set up a trade request when I noticed it was showing Tokens by them.  Am I correct in assuming that you need like 48 tokens to have a trade for 48 hours?  If I'm mistaken (cuz I set up 2 public trades 48 hours ago and didn't notice my Token count go down, then again I wasn't paying attention to it.) then, well guess that's not a problem.  Yet, if it is the case, then wouldn't having to use Tokens just to set up a trade a limit enough?

IIRC (it's been over a year since I played regularly), the coin cost for public trade offers is a deposit that is refunded if and when someone accepts the trade, and lost if the trade expires. Basically, it's an incentive to make reasonable offers that are likely to be accepted.

Also, private trades (sent to a specific user) are free. The coin costs apply only to public trades.